Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373077 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #2715 on: April 09, 2014, 09:50:48 am »

Lack of fuel can kill you if you meet a dangerous ship you would otherwise have run away from.  Basically don't run out of fuel.

Also two more great things about using the vulcan cannon in the flagship fight:
- It did so much damage and caused so much fire that it actually almost wiped out the enemy crew in the first stage.  They kept running into the hacked missile system and getting trapped.
- It fires so quickly it will shoot down enemy drones whenever they come into its path.

I would have been fine in that situation anyway (hurray for my other two weapons), but I get your point.

I also tend to prefer high engines to a 4th shield, but looking at everyone's runs... I am guessing shield all the way.
You basically always want both: 5 engines + 4 shields.  Engines beyond that really start to drop off in usefulness, and you can only really go further on Easy mode anyway.

Eh, the game is just random. You could just as well have fought a ton of defense drones/upgraded engines and struggled to outlast attrition damage/run out of missiles anyway. My last 3 "good run" failures were playthroughs where I was doing fine up until the game decided to throw a hard counter at me. My flak ship ran into a slug pirate ship with engi crew that was so spread out I couldn't actually damage anything with flak, so they tore me apart before I could jump away and I lost on the flagship due to limping away from that fight (near the end of Sector 7).
That caused you to lose even though you have 4 chances to repair in the Final Sector?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: April 09, 2014, 09:59:11 am »

You can't always easily reach the repairs.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: April 09, 2014, 10:03:47 am »

Not to mention the repair facilities are almost always (in my experience) the first ones taken over.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: April 09, 2014, 10:12:17 am »

Still remember the ship I managed to get away with 9 damage with a single beam..
I see you haven't encountered the miracle of the Glaive. 15 damage in a single shot? Yes, please. :D

You basically always want both: 5 engines + 4 shields.  Engines beyond that really start to drop off in usefulness, and you can only really go further on Easy mode anyway.
I had a Normal win recently with only two shields, but maxxed out engines and two overshield drones. Engines boost the Zoltan overshield a lot, while shields are useless unless it's down.

Of course, my favorite win had, like, 2 levels of shields and 3 levels of engine. When you've got a glaive beam, MKIII burst laser, a bomb, and 3 attacking drones, along with a pre-igniter and a cloak, things like "shields" or "evasion" aren't really much of a concern, since the enemy melts approximately 3 seconds into the battle. :D

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: April 09, 2014, 10:15:04 am »

Yeah it's different if you get an absolutely godly weapon build.  Also I think you can mostly rely on weapon hacking + cloak if you have a defense scrambler.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: April 09, 2014, 10:18:25 am »

Yeah it's different if you get an absolutely godly weapon build.  Also I think you can mostly rely on weapon hacking + cloak if you have a defense scrambler.

Admittedly, this is probably why I love the Stealth B so much. Starting with the Glaive Beam means you just need to drop a single additional point into cloaking and nothing in the first two sectors can touch you before it dies. :D

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: April 09, 2014, 10:25:28 am »

Eh, the game is just random. You could just as well have fought a ton of defense drones/upgraded engines and struggled to outlast attrition damage/run out of missiles anyway. My last 3 "good run" failures were playthroughs where I was doing fine up until the game decided to throw a hard counter at me. My flak ship ran into a slug pirate ship with engi crew that was so spread out I couldn't actually damage anything with flak, so they tore me apart before I could jump away and I lost on the flagship due to limping away from that fight (near the end of Sector 7).
That caused you to lose even though you have 4 chances to repair in the Final Sector?

I got to one of them before the rest were taken over. Going for more would have been an auto-loss when I didn't reach the base in time. It was a touchy run to begin with, but I would have had a chance otherwise, yeah. Oh and it's not always 4 repairs, nor are they always in a line between you and the base.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2722 on: April 09, 2014, 10:45:52 am »

One of the four repairs happens automatically at the start of the sector.

I would say Stealth B is about as far away from "nothing can touch you" as you can get, incidentally.  Beams and drones will still obliterate you.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: April 09, 2014, 11:09:52 am »

And asteroid fields.  And all of those things at once.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: April 09, 2014, 11:15:36 am »

I am still astonished that Stealth A doesn't have the stealth weapons upgrade from the get go.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2725 on: April 09, 2014, 11:20:46 am »

Don't forget being too close to a star.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: April 09, 2014, 11:34:19 am »

The star is bad for everyone.  Although having a really slow to charge weapon doesn't help.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: April 09, 2014, 11:35:07 am »

Don't forget being too close to a star.

Id consider the most dangerous combination would be Ion storm + Asteroid field

But I don't think that combination is possible.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: April 09, 2014, 11:38:25 am »

Thankfully, it's one environment effect at a time, with Nebula + Ion Storm being the only exception. Otherwise, the worst ever would be Pulsar + Asteroid... Pulsar guarantees your shields will never come back online.  :'(

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: April 09, 2014, 11:40:51 am »

You can only have one hazard.

Imagine pulsar+too close to star+asteroid+Ion storm+anti-ship battery
All that...
While fighting the Rebel Flagship.
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 243