Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373130 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #2595 on: April 06, 2014, 04:43:23 pm »

The disease/abandoned outpost event can actually kill off a crew member for good. Apparently it's so bad that the clone would still have it (what the hell).

Retrovirus :P

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: April 06, 2014, 05:13:54 pm »

Fun fact of the day: hacking an enemy Mind Control cancels out any active MC attempt on your guys (in addition to MCing one of theirs). The Hacking cooldown is the same as the MC cooldown. And super shields only prevent the drones from attaching - once your hacking drone is in place, you can happily hack even if a certain boss brings their super shields back online.

Thanks to this, I just won with the Torus! (On Easy, but still a win!)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: April 06, 2014, 05:15:59 pm »

If you get a really bad hack from the flagship you can flee and come back.  It should be different next time.

I haven't found it too bad though, it only occurs in the first round which is otherwise the easiest one.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: April 06, 2014, 05:28:51 pm »

Only time the hacking kit really wrecked me was on my boarding-supported ship when they hacked my medbay, and killed off both my mantises. T_T Does a mebay hack do more damage the higher the level of your medbay? It's painful, regardless.

Also, finally got a Fed Cruiser win.
Zoltan Shield/Shield Recharge Booster
Burst Laser 2, Burst Laser 2, Flak Cannon, double 2 damage missiles
Defense Drone and Anti-drone drone

Wrecked him. (On Normal)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: April 06, 2014, 05:30:15 pm »

Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: April 06, 2014, 05:35:12 pm »

Yeah sure why not. Barely used 'em though, the flak and burst laser combo is just so good.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: April 06, 2014, 05:48:04 pm »

So far I don't like the Charge weapons.

It would be nice if they got stronger as their charge increased, but really it is just a "Weapon that you can chose to shoot early" but I have so rarely wanted a weapon to shoot "Now with less effect".

I really regret the time I got rid of my good ion weapon for a weapon that had 4 charge... It was a TERRIBLE investment.

4 shots, 5 seconds a shot (which is essentially 20 seconds...), each does 1 damage... and they shoot in a constant stream... and it doesn't cause fires or breaches or stuns...

Edit: Wait is that chain? uhhhh... Charge... I do like chain.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 05:52:39 pm by Neonivek »

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: April 06, 2014, 05:52:34 pm »

Has anyone tried getting all flak weapons on one ship? Probably would be incredibly unlikely and expensive to get working, but it seems like the amount of projectiles you could vomit out would make shields meaningless.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: April 06, 2014, 06:09:27 pm »

Yeah.  I hacked their cloak for that reason.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: April 06, 2014, 07:27:41 pm »

Overall I feel like mind control is more like a Poor man's hacking

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: April 06, 2014, 07:30:08 pm »

Overall I feel like mind control is more like a Poor man's hacking

I haven't bothered with it so far. Or hacking either after I learnt that Cloaking is more important then Hacking most of the time. But mind control doesn't get blocked by defense drones, so has that going for it.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: April 06, 2014, 07:31:54 pm »

Well, MC can distract boarders. Also, you can mind control *different* enemies each time, while the hacker gets stuck on one target for the whole fight. And MC doesn't take a drone part each battle.

But yeah, mind controlling an enemy in a room is pretty similar to hacking that same room.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: April 06, 2014, 07:38:44 pm »

What would you guys recommend for the Torus on Normal difficulty? No joke, I've failed like 20 times in a row now. I don't have nearly this much trouble using other ships. I tried picking up lasers, I tried drones, I tried hacking, I tried mind control. The Torus is just such a weak starter, that by the time I get any offensive capabilities besides a Combat drone I'm already in sector 5 and still hilariously under-equipped. I've been restarting any time the run starts to descend into "spending too much money on repairs" territory, but even the runs where I'm picking up lots of scrap still don't throw any decent weaponry at me.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: April 06, 2014, 07:44:13 pm »

What would you guys recommend for the Torus on Normal difficulty? No joke, I've failed like 20 times in a row now. I don't have nearly this much trouble using other ships. I tried picking up lasers, I tried drones, I tried hacking, I tried mind control. The Torus is just such a weak starter, that by the time I get any offensive capabilities besides a Combat drone I'm already in sector 5 and still hilariously under-equipped. I've been restarting any time the run starts to descend into "spending too much money on repairs" territory, but even the runs where I'm picking up lots of scrap still don't throw any decent weaponry at me.

I'd recommend going drones and using flak or Ion weapons to get the shields down so it the combat drone can violence the enemy ship a lot. It starts with Drone Control and an Ion weapon, so that would seem like the best path to go down.
^Thought you were talking about the Vortex, the type B of Engi Cruiser.[Which is really hard]
EDIT: What you have to understand is that you don't NEED any offensive capabilities beyond your starting drone, you Ion blast II and an extra ion or flak weapon. That should tide you through the whole game, assuming you don't run out of drone parts too frequently. Just autofire your Ion blast II at their shields and turn on a drone and you're set. Defense drones are essential and anti-personal drones mitigate the Engi's weakness to boarders. Get level II doors very quickly and use airlocks and your medbay right, and you won't even need that against even Mantis sectors. Torus is a very strong ship, only Kestrel type B and MAYBE Mantis type B are as good as it is.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 07:55:24 pm by Arcvasti »
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: April 06, 2014, 07:48:25 pm »

Mind control does work pretty nicely with hacking though - you can get the person trapped in a hacked system to destroy it.
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 243