Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373284 times)

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #2295 on: February 02, 2013, 11:42:40 pm »

Okay, GG, you need to do, and get video of, say... three consecutive runs in each ship, each layout. Except, apparently, Fed Cruiser because that seems to be your bane.

ikachan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: March 01, 2013, 05:35:32 pm »

I quite enjoy FTL it's a pretty easy game to pick up and it's not too expensive but anyway there's an FTL lego project that need supporters so if you like FTL and you want to see it made into lego then I'd be cool if you come support it, or not if you don't want to.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: March 01, 2013, 05:36:57 pm »

I think I am getting close to the point where I am just going to cheat to unlock all the ships. So many of them just feel like busy work if I am not using a guide and others are two tiers of luck.

I wonder if that is possible or if they prevent you from doing so.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: March 01, 2013, 05:52:36 pm »

I think I am getting close to the point where I am just going to cheat to unlock all the ships. So many of them just feel like busy work if I am not using a guide and others are two tiers of luck.

I wonder if that is possible or if they prevent you from doing so.

I think on their forum you can dl saves with all ships ulocked
Make love not war

HFS

• Bay Watcher
  • Sealed Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: March 02, 2013, 12:03:58 am »

A friend of mine is doing a shieldless run of FTL. He's still making videos.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5pnAei5kJaEd9XJpA6-0xgCQWrSeXY7R

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #2300 on: March 02, 2013, 12:22:14 am »

I recently got FTL and am having a blast.

I'm just curious as to why I waited so long to buy it. I knew it was out for ages, I knew it was good, but I never thought about buying it.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: March 02, 2013, 02:42:32 am »

A friend of mine is doing a shieldless run of FTL. He's still making videos.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5pnAei5kJaEd9XJpA6-0xgCQWrSeXY7R

This seems impossible. Sure you can make it to final boss, but then you die to infinite beam drones.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: March 02, 2013, 02:46:35 am »

Nah, not really. Blast the drone bay first thing, cloak through the drone swam. Long as you don't get unlucky, the boss shouldn't be much of a challenge. I only ever bought two levels of shield for my last ship, and I think it ate maybe two shots from the final boss (and no beams) thanks to that strategy.

Now, staying lucky consistently enough to get TOO the boss, and remaining ahead of the scrap curve, without a shield to take the the occasionally unlucky hit... it's probably beyond my skill level, anyway.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 02:48:26 am by GlyphGryph »

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: March 02, 2013, 06:59:51 am »

I want to play FTL 2 :D

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: March 02, 2013, 10:31:57 am »

While there are many ways to do a sequel.

I have a feeling FTL's sequel will be the "exactly the same" type. :P

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #2305 on: March 02, 2013, 11:36:48 am »

While there are many ways to do a sequel.

I have a feeling FTL's sequel will be the "exactly the same" type. :P

A sequel would be more graphical effects and a far more complicated way to play the game. Essentially, Dwarf Fortress in space, but with graphics.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: March 02, 2013, 11:38:45 am »

Essentially, Dwarf Fortress in space, but with graphics

Where the heck do you get that from?

I mean I could imagine it getting more complex but not jumping to an entirely different game territory.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: March 18, 2013, 01:21:16 pm »

I would actually hope that FTL 2 would be more sandbox, less time-gated-roguelike. My biggest complaint is that the game can be hard to learn, especially the final boss which requires in depth strategies that are tough to develop on the fly like that, and that there's a hard cap on how much you can accomplish in a given game. I'd love it if the next version added a trading simulation on top of it, trying to balance crew size with food, air, cash, scrap, missiles, and fuel.

FTL reminded me why I love indie games so much. The strategy in this game flows naturally - how you deploy your crew, where you spend your scrap, where you focus your firepower, missiles or drones or pulse lasers or beams... it all forms seamlessly into an incredibly layered strategy game that captures the essence of those classic space operas we all loved so much. Way too much fun, and something that indie game devs are more willing to risk than AAA studios.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: March 18, 2013, 01:24:43 pm »

It sounds silly but I kinda want FTL2 to have more of a crew focus then it currently does.

I know it won't mind you... but I just want my crew to feel more like people and beings then tools.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: March 18, 2013, 02:41:02 pm »

Indy guys dont take 'risks' in the same manner that a Triple A studio does. If an indy game makes a game that EDIT [fails, then it doesnt mean the same thing that it does to a Triple A team.]. Its entirely unfair and almost entirely unrelateable to use risk in the same manner for Indy and Tripple A studio.

Also, Indy Guys, most of them, almost all of them, arent doing anything all that clever or innovative. Their crap curve is about the same as with everyone, but with the added bonus of overall lower production quality.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 04:01:57 pm by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 243