Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373256 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #2325 on: November 12, 2013, 02:02:22 pm »

Love it. Much excite! Can't wait, it sounds awesome, and Chris Avellone... I... wow.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: November 12, 2013, 02:12:39 pm »

A lot of the new systems seem like they would be overpowered.

They also sound like they would be absolutely infuriating to go up against.

I can't wait.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: November 12, 2013, 02:26:41 pm »

I wonder how they're going to balance everything.

I assume all ships will have to be redesigned? If not, you'll be at a bit of a disadvantage with regard to what your ship can do when using the older ships. If crew acquisition isn't changed as well, you'll have trouble staffing all of the new goodies.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: November 12, 2013, 04:12:56 pm »

So...FTL Advanced has been announced as a free expansion. Looks promising! And free! So I'm looking forward to it.

I own FTL but it is unlikely I'll be able to get this expansion... dang!
...Even though it's free? Or do you have it through a third party?

Third party... unless they will have it to download directly and not through steam or GoG or something... I won't experience this expansion.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: November 12, 2013, 04:15:34 pm »

I'm sure that they'll come up with something for the place you got it from. :P
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: November 12, 2013, 04:16:43 pm »

I'm sure that they'll come up with something for the place you got it from. :P

They won't. I won FTL in a contest and all they had is a download section.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: November 12, 2013, 04:26:19 pm »

No free update for your free copy. /shrug
It goes on sale all the time so you might as well buy it if you like it. I've seen it down around $2 US.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: November 12, 2013, 08:25:39 pm »

I wonder how they're going to balance everything.

I assume all ships will have to be redesigned? If not, you'll be at a bit of a disadvantage with regard to what your ship can do when using the older ships. If crew acquisition isn't changed as well, you'll have trouble staffing all of the new goodies.

Well, in the preview video it looks like a mantis is manning the door controls on one of the ships. I honestly wouldn't mind more mannable stations because it puts more weight towards the non-boarding strategies being better. Say, instead of boarding or the anti-bio-beam you try to bomb or wound crew members to force them into the medical bay so your manned hacking station can hack it and kill them. Also, more tactical choices about what station needs to be manned in this particular fight.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: November 20, 2013, 02:23:24 pm »

Alright, so I decided to start this thing off a few days ago, and my sleeping schedule has, of course, suffered massively because of it.

I've unlocked most of the ships now, bar the Dickship, the stealth and the secret ship (also missing a couple B-sides).  Latest unlock was slug (I admit to looking up which dialog options I should pick, and I feel no great shame for having done so), and the last few runs have been giving that little pony a ride.

...it does not like me.  At all.

Is it just me and my hilariously bad luck, or is it really damn hard to get a decent start with the slugship?  I keep running into drones and Zoltans with missiles in the first sector (and another time with two solar flares right next to each other), and even on the squishier ships I wind up taking a few punches in exchange for the ones I give.

As mentioned, I still haven't beaten the boss yet (I did just get really damn close though with an awesome Kestral run, where I also unlocked the Red-Tail), and I'm quite looking forward to doing a Dickship run once I do finally get around to it.  I've been playing on normal difficulty strictly, partially because I felt a bit bad doing it on easy mode and also now because I want to see if you can unlock the "beat the boss on easy mode" achievement on normal mode.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: November 20, 2013, 04:50:30 pm »

No, it's not just you. Both slug ships are difficult to work with. I've never won with either of them.

You should probably stick with the Kestrel Cruiser if you haven't beaten the boss yet. As far as starting loadouts go, the Kestrel A's is probably the most flexible. The Artemis and Burst Laser II are vicious.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: November 20, 2013, 05:01:52 pm »

RedTail is also pretty awesome, since it doesn't rely on ammo and the default lasers it starts with give it good constant fire rates. Takes down shields pretty well and keeps them down. Get a few upgraded burst lasers in there and your tear everything to pieces.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: November 20, 2013, 07:50:46 pm »

Yeah, I quite like the Red-Tail.  Can make it through most sector 1 fights without taking even 1 point of damage.

Anyways, just had a slugship run, the only decent one so far.  Managed to make it all the way to the boss, but realized that there was absolutely no goddamn chance that I was actually gonna defeat the guy.  All I had was the double laser, a burst Mk.II, and a fire bomb.

I actually managed to break the first form, thanks to the fire bomb, but then I ran out of missiles (I only started sector 8 with about 7 or so missiles).  So, basically, while it was technically possible for me to inflict damage to the boss, it would require all 5 simultaneous shots to hit, and would then deal 1 point of damage.  I tried wearing down his cockpit so I could reduce his evasion, but it just took way too damn long...  And every couple drone waves or so I'd end up taking a point of damage, so I was wearing down faster than he was.

After about half an hour with the both of us just flailing stupidly at each other (just on his second form), I finally said "fuck this" and just wandered off so he could get to the base.

I unlocked the type B during that run, though, pulling off the last two slug achievements.  And hey, this has been my only slug ship so far to make it past sector 2, so I'm content.

EDIT:  Oh, yeah, forgot...  Haven't gotten the mantis ship yet either.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: November 20, 2013, 08:19:57 pm »

The Slug A's anti-bio beam is absurdly effective, and the breach bomb disables shields on drones (no crew, no fixing the breach, no repairs) for your lasers to finish off. Slug B is basically a challenge-mode early game until you get real weapons and/or better boarders.

Honestly many, many games of FTL are lost in sector 1 and 2 until you become very familiar with each individual ship, and even then some of them (Engi B, stealth A and B, rock A, mantis B) require lots of knowledge of game encounters and a bit of luck to get established.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: November 20, 2013, 08:43:28 pm »

Yeh...  I've only done a couple Vortex runs, but I really don't see it becoming a favorite any time soon.  It's a shame, since it's a cool concept...  It's just that there really isn't any reason to pick it over any of the other designs.

Might've been different if it had 4 drone slots or something, but...  Eh, I dunno.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: November 20, 2013, 08:52:55 pm »

You pick it for the challenge.
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 243