Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373420 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #2220 on: January 31, 2013, 06:32:31 pm »

You have the choice to ignore pretty much every random event.
Unless you mean combat encounters, in which case them's the 8r8ks. If your ship can't fight well enough then it can't.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

MasterShizzle

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly in a fey mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: January 31, 2013, 06:34:49 pm »

The RNG screws me over pretty consistently. But as you go further into the game you're better prepared to deal with it, and most of the "hiccups" from sector 5 onward just mean that much more scrap, rather than threats to your survival. If you're fighting desperately for survival by sector 5, then it's probably because you got screwed over in sectors 1 to 3. Usually what happens is that I'll get taunted with a small string of excellent luck, followed by rapid descent into suckage.

I wait for the nastiness to occur, and depending on where it is I just restart. First jump of the game takes me into a sun? Restart. First distress call of the game loses me a crew member? Restart. I have no problems restarting anything before sector 3, because it's not worth the extra time to go through four more sectors and THEN lose. I'd rather lose quickly and restart with a chance at better weapons.

Worst example: One run in the Red Tail, I got lucky and pulled a free Scrap Recovery Arm from my very first distress call. Two jumps later I get the "Weapon just floating in space" event, and it's a free Glaive beam! Joy! I don't have enough power to use it effectively, but it'll sell for a pretty penny, enough to get me level 2 shields a full sector earlier than normal. There aren't any stores in sight, so I dive further in.

The VERY NEXT JUMP brought me near a sun. The attacking ship was a Zoltan fighter, with a Burst Laser I and a missile launcher. I've only got level 1 shields, so I'm worried. I power up the lasers (still using the starting four basic lasers) and try to take out their weapons systems before they can fire a missile off. Here's what happened, in rapid succession:
  • I hit with all four shots, but it takes down the green shield only. One shield layer is still intact.
  • Their burst laser fires its two blasts, the first hitting my shields and the second my shield system, leaving me with no shields up.
  • Their missile fires, hitting my door system and starting a fire.
  • I have my lasers on autofire, and they're recharged. ALL FOUR LASER SHOTS MISS.
  • The solar flare goes off, setting fire to my weapons and my engines.
THAT'S getting screwed. I'm now sitting with no shields, only half weapons, and fires in three systems, one of which is the door control so I can't vent anything into space. I died most spectacularly. By the time I got the fires put out in the engine room and started repairs I had taken another volley of shots to the face, and from there it was over. I just sat back and watched everything burn/explode.
Boss is throwing a tantrum!
MasterShizzle cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: interrupted by Boss

Minecraft's fine, your computer just sucks.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: January 31, 2013, 06:39:18 pm »

I'm talking about random events like, say, your engines are disabled. If you're in the Stealth ship especially, that's the vast majority of your defensive capability down the drain in an instant. Or if you have to choose between losing a crew member and fighting a battle that you might not be ready for. Or hell, those fun encounters in a plasma field, where your power is cut in half while the enemy has four guns blazing along with shields and cloak.

Any and all of these have the potential to screw you over, no matter your equipment.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MasterShizzle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: January 31, 2013, 06:43:05 pm »

I'm talking about random events like, say, your engines are disabled. If you're in the Stealth ship especially, that's the vast majority of your defensive capability down the drain in an instant. Or if you have to choose between losing a crew member and fighting a battle that you might not be ready for. Or hell, those fun encounters in a plasma field, where your power is cut in half while the enemy has four guns blazing along with shields and cloak.

Any and all of these have the potential to screw you over, no matter your equipment.
But the potential to get screwed becomes progressively less and less the further you get. A ship that breezes through to sector 7 and THEN gets a horrific series of events is far more likely to survive than a ship that just made it through sector 2 and still needs a lot of upgrades.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: January 31, 2013, 06:45:21 pm »

Emphasis on "pretty much".

I'm still upset at the one time I decided to not help a ship in a bunch of asteroids which resulted in it speeding up the rebels.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: January 31, 2013, 06:58:06 pm »

Emphasis on "pretty much".

I'm still upset at the one time I decided to not help a ship in a bunch of asteroids which resulted in it speeding up the rebels.
I got that once when the fleet was right behind me. First sector. I did not survive :(

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: January 31, 2013, 07:02:07 pm »

There's a penalty for not helping the asteroid-struck guys? o:

* Haspen learns something new everyday.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: January 31, 2013, 07:04:12 pm »

There's a penalty for not helping the asteroid-struck guys? o:

* Haspen learns something new everyday.
Not always. Most of the random events have random outcomes for the different choices.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: January 31, 2013, 07:08:56 pm »

Everytime I get that quest and I don't blast the stuck ship up, nothing happens.

So they are able to get out on their own and then screw you up for not helping?
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: January 31, 2013, 07:11:10 pm »

Everytime I get that quest and I don't blast the stuck ship up, nothing happens.

So they are able to get out on their own and then screw you up for not helping?
Pretty sure you're thinking of an entirely different event/quest.

The one I'm mentioning I think is the random event one where you shield another ship with your own.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: January 31, 2013, 07:29:20 pm »

Yeah, the one Tarran is talking about is "shield them with your ship." It has some decent blue options, though, and I don't care about the risk of hull damage since you still get scrap rewards to repair it anyway.

That said, the stuck pirate has a downside too.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: January 31, 2013, 07:34:00 pm »

Yeah, the one Tarran is talking about is "shield them with your ship." It has some decent blue options, though, and I don't care about the risk of hull damage since you still get scrap rewards to repair it anyway.

That said, the stuck pirate has a downside too.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I've only ever had that happen when I chose to scrap them.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: January 31, 2013, 07:36:28 pm »

The RNG screws me over pretty consistently. But as you go further into the game you're better prepared to deal with it

There are a few ships I found where if you don't get a good weapon the very first sector you might as well quit.

MasterShizzle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: January 31, 2013, 07:39:15 pm »

There are a few ships I found where if you don't get a good weapon the very first sector you might as well quit.
True, but when that happens you can restart without losing half a game's worth of progress. I'd rather restart in sector 1 than lose a ship that made it all the way to the end.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: January 31, 2013, 07:41:22 pm »

True, but when that happens you can restart without losing half a game's worth of progress. I'd rather restart in sector 1 than lose a ship that made it all the way to the end.

Now OTHER ships will know sector 3 if they should restart.
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 243