Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373418 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #2205 on: January 31, 2013, 02:23:09 am »

Actually, a single Ion Blast MKII is enough to take down any level shield.

Getting a decent gunner and an autoloader makes it far quicker and more likely, too.

Thow a single additional ion weapon on top of that, and breaking through their shield and then disable their bridge is is pretty much a given. And once that happens, well... you win! An additional ion weapon will easily disable their weapons, leaving you in control of the ship, and from their it's pretty much "do whatever you want" time.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: January 31, 2013, 04:27:49 am »

I have to ask

How much of a luck factor does this game have or is there an optimal win most of the time strategy?

Since I am noticing that there are two basic ideas of ships: Ships that are good for most of the game on their own merits, and ships that will be good for one sector and you better hope they have something else but also come with a super rare amazing item/function.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: January 31, 2013, 06:31:00 am »

On Easy at least it's mostly the choices you make during the game. Sure, sometimes you'll inevitably die but it's not like you're only rolling a dice which decides whether you live or not. Knowing when to fight or flee is pretty important and so is your ability in handling hazards like fire and boarders. How you're upgrading your ship is pretty important as well.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: January 31, 2013, 06:32:51 am »

I am aware that there is skill involved but how much luck is involved?

How much can the game just lock you out of victory?

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: January 31, 2013, 09:44:02 am »

I think for *most* ships, only the 1st sector is at all heavily luck-dependent if you play reasonably conservatively.  After that, unless you get really really screwed  (like by finding almost no shops 5 sectors in a row, say), I think you should be able to win at least 90% of the time.   Admittedly some ships are super-vulnerable until you can do the right upgrades - like the stealth ship meeting beam drone after beam drone.

Almost all my deaths now are self-inflicted - either "oops I wasn't watching autofire and blowed up my boarding party again",  not watching hull points or fuel, pushing too hard by picking fights when weakened/undergunned, "one more volley" instead of a retreat,  etc.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: January 31, 2013, 10:02:25 am »

Which is not to say that the game can't just decide you're going to die. I've had ships that were doing quite well suddenly run up against something that managed to kill me by having the perfect combinations of weapons and defenses to defeat my ship. An AI with 4 shields, a burst laser, 2 missiles, and a bomb was probably the worst. It took out most of my weapons with the first missile, and I think my helm with the second, and it went downhill from there. I couldn't hurt it because I could never get my full weapons systems in place, and couldn't keep up with the damage it was doing to my various systems to get out of the loop or flee.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: January 31, 2013, 11:09:39 am »

Ultimately, yes, there's on element of chance. You can get unlucky and really lose out. I don't think this is common though. Usually when you die, it's your own fault.

Although that is only after you've learned to play prettty well. A lot of the early game is about DISCOVERY which is significantly more chance based (learning the good and bad event likelihoods to decide whether its worth it)

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: January 31, 2013, 01:05:01 pm »

A lot seems to be luck on finding good weapons.  Take too much damage early on or forced to run from too many fights and you won't have enough to upgrade your ship. 
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: January 31, 2013, 01:19:11 pm »

A lot seems to be luck on finding good weapons.  Take too much damage early on or forced to run from too many fights and you won't have enough to upgrade your ship.

Even then, you should be able to handily win most fights in the first sector, and good exploration habits should reveal a shop or two every sector. Sometimes yes, the shops don't have weapons and you don't get a random event that gives you a new weapon, and in those runs you're in deep trouble by Sector 3. Most of the time, though, you can find something to use, even if you end up buying drones or teleporter+crew instead of weapons.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: January 31, 2013, 02:13:14 pm »

I once got no weapons in any shops. All drones and systems. Got 1 augmentation shop in the last stand, and had to rely on nothing but missiles (one of which was a small bomb) and beam weapons (including beam drones). I died in phase 2 of the boss. So yes the RNG can screw you.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: January 31, 2013, 03:12:21 pm »

I hate Zoltan ships.

With their mini-beams and their beam drones and their dual lasers.

At least the rebel riggers have the courtesy to not have a supershield.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: January 31, 2013, 03:19:57 pm »

I once got no weapons in any shops. All drones and systems. Got 1 augmentation shop in the last stand, and had to rely on nothing but missiles (one of which was a small bomb) and beam weapons (including beam drones). I died in phase 2 of the boss. So yes the RNG can screw you.

Systems sounds like "teleporter" and drones are pretty powerful. Starting weapons for most ships, plus drones, is more than enough to take on the boss. Through in a Teleporter and Cloak, which you should be able to afford since you aren't wasting money on weapons systems, and you should be perfectly fine.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: January 31, 2013, 05:32:39 pm »

I think the common consensus is "Yes, a skilled player can win most of the time, but every once in a while the Random Number God will screw you over just to remind you who's in charge".
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: January 31, 2013, 06:08:10 pm »

This will almost occur within the first 3 sectors, thankfully. The longer you play, the lower the chance of the RNG asserting dominion over you.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: January 31, 2013, 06:28:27 pm »

This will almost occur within the first 3 sectors, thankfully. The longer you play, the lower the chance of the RNG asserting dominion over you.
Still a chance, though. The Last Stand can be especially brutal at times. And some of the random events can be absolutely punishing to certain setups.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 243