Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373687 times)

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #1815 on: November 02, 2012, 08:51:01 pm »

Except that that isn't true for what is the majority of games.
Now does happen to be true for FTL, but the vast majority of steam games keep things somewhere (and it does vary by game a little) in the steam folder.

It may be proper to place the user data in the my documents folder, but most games don't do it, and the ones that do often place it in radically different places.

Are you really sure you're taking about the save games?

Steam itself sits inside \Program Files\Steam (for 32-bit) and \Program Files (x86)\Steam (for 64-bit). Your games bounded to Steam are installed to \SteamApps\common inside.

But the save data? Again they are all outside of the Program Files folder, as they should be.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: November 02, 2012, 10:01:23 pm »

Yes, I am sure

Sword of the stars: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\sword of the stars\SavedGames
Frozen Synapse: C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\frozen synapse\psychoff
Eufloria: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\\ommon\eufloria\Resourc es\user.settings
Just Cause 2: Steam/userdata/<random number>/8190/remote

I just checked 8 steam games (by looking the info up on the internet), and half of the games save data only in the steam folder. I don't think that the average non-steam AAA game does much better on that, and many indie games don't bother either.

While it good to check my documents (and all the dozens of derivatives thereof that are in slightly different folders/subfolders), odds are just as good that its in the game's programs folder.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: November 03, 2012, 12:18:00 am »

You can *survive* a pacifist run, if you allow the flagship to reach the base.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: November 03, 2012, 04:43:10 am »

This game is HARD!
Even on easy!
After failing several times I tried to do a pacifist run instead.
That failed as well..
How to do the whimp's... I mean Pacifist Run...

Step One : Unlock Stealth Ship.
Step Two : Upgrade cloak one stage.
Step Three : Using the advanced sensors avoid all combat zones as possible. Cloak on Charge FTL drive for escape.
Step Four : When visiting shop sell weapons for Engine upgrades. Any free scrap put into Engines and power for said engines.
Step Five : When reaching sector 5 either restart and be a man from the get go or sell advqnced sensors for a good weapon.
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: November 03, 2012, 10:37:02 am »

Well I got to sector 5 without attacking anything.
So that's done.
Now to actually beat the game.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: November 03, 2012, 01:46:24 pm »

Yes, I am sure

Sword of the stars: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\sword of the stars\SavedGames
Frozen Synapse: C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\frozen synapse\psychoff
Eufloria: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\\ommon\eufloria\Resourc es\user.settings
Just Cause 2: Steam/userdata/<random number>/8190/remote

I just checked 8 steam games (by looking the info up on the internet), and half of the games save data only in the steam folder. I don't think that the average non-steam AAA game does much better on that, and many indie games don't bother either.

While it good to check my documents (and all the dozens of derivatives thereof that are in slightly different folders/subfolders), odds are just as good that its in the game's programs folder.

Odds are good the saves are either in "My Documents" OR "Documents and Settings/*insert_admin_username*/*/*/*". Not many games save in their install folder because many of them have a separate checkbox for removing save files when uninstalling the game itself. Any files or folders in use will stick around. If you ever run through your programs folder and see something that you know you uninstalled you might just delete something you meant to keep.

It's actually annoying that SimCity4 and TheSims keep all their mod/download folders in My Documents. My C drive gets cluttered and runs low on space when I need to move big files between 2 other hard drives. Windows funnels copying through the C drive when you move things between physical drives. If you don't have space on C you can't move files.

small list of My Documents/My Games saves from Steam installs: Supreme Commander, Terraria, Fallout New Vegas, Civ 5. Dredmor is in My Documents/Gaslamp Games. That's a mix of big names and small names.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 02:02:22 pm by BigD145 »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: December 15, 2012, 10:59:05 pm »

So apparently this game has enjoyed its popularity and faded away already, but since I only bought it a few days ago I'll inflict my game raeg on you anyway.

If the medbay hadn't caught on fire at the end there, I'd have made it...

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: December 15, 2012, 11:01:08 pm »

You have to fight it three times.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: December 15, 2012, 11:12:47 pm »

You have to fight it three times.

Aw, seriously? Dang. Well, I'm still going to channel my rage into my next game anyway

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: December 15, 2012, 11:34:03 pm »

Personally, I stopped after dieing to the second flagship (tons of robots). I had a crystal ship, with some rather cool weapons, and maxed power, but just couldn't deal enough damage with 15 drones attacking me.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: December 16, 2012, 12:03:12 am »

Almost had The Best Run Ever.

Started as the Torus (named the USS Redshirt). In the very first sector I scored a Mantis to add to the crew, and found an enemy ship that would never be able to do damage unless I intentionally lowered my shields. So what did I do? I grinded.

All four crew members, experts in all four stations. I also discovered that a single Ion Blast II could keep a life support room more or less permanently offline, allowing me to suffocate and take whole many a vessel.

It didn't all go my way, though. I missed out on two opportunities to unlock a new ship. The first time was on a trip through the Mantis homeworlds. I had checked the wiki, I had bought a crew teleporter and advanced medical bay and had plenty of practice at killing crews with my boarding party. Never got the special event. Then in Sector 7, which was the Engi homeworlds, I managed to get the intel required for the final part of the Stealth Cruiser quest. Sadly, the rebel fleet was right on my tale and I missed out for good.

Spoiler: Boss details (click to show/hide)

Ironically, not a single crew member of the USS Redshirt died. The boarding party had a couple of close calls, but in the end everyone got home safely.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: December 16, 2012, 12:18:27 am »

I was wondering if anyone was still playing this game.

Here's a question. What does your High Score screen look like?

Spoiler: Mine (click to show/hide)
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: December 16, 2012, 01:37:07 am »

Here's mine - I haven't played in a couple weeks but I was just thinking of firing it up earlier today.  I still have slug, rock and crystal to unlock.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: December 16, 2012, 02:13:38 am »

Here's mine - I haven't played in a couple weeks but I was just thinking of firing it up earlier today.  I still have slug, rock and crystal to unlock.
Your rate of victories/games makes me hang my head in shame.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: December 16, 2012, 05:04:07 am »

Here's mine. I haven't for very long yet. Still haven't got the Crystal or Slug ships, but have everything else.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 243