Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 374030 times)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #1020 on: September 24, 2012, 01:36:15 pm »

Yeah, chance to Evade hits is governed by RNG, and we all know how fickle it can be sometimes.
Also, me and forsaken are working on FTL Forum RPG ;3
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1021 on: September 24, 2012, 01:50:01 pm »

I typically go for all the 5% dodge boosts for engines. the one ofter that provide diminishing returns.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: September 24, 2012, 01:58:20 pm »

Why does everybody treat spoilers so lightly?

Is this game a roguelike? Roguelikes tend to be based entirely around spoilers.

ftlgame.com calls it "a spaceship simulation real-time roguelike-like".

So yeah. Roguelike-like.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: September 24, 2012, 02:00:42 pm »

I just call it a strange-like.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: September 24, 2012, 02:17:17 pm »

Why does everybody treat spoilers so lightly?

We should protect people who haven't been corrupted by the carelessness of others yet.
I figure since it's 70 or so pages in that anyone who wants to play the game would have already figured out that the boss is so and so by the time they've finished reading.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: September 24, 2012, 02:25:08 pm »

I call it FTL.

Shhh, didn't you know? Everything only exists in how it relates to something else! We must catogorize it!

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: September 24, 2012, 02:53:26 pm »

Hm... Thought exercise: Using the current available layouts, aliens, and upgrade limits (assuming effectively infinite scrap and limited drones/missiles), what would your "perfect" ship(s) be? In other words, if you had the PERFECT run, what would your ship look like at the end (except that Crystals are freely recruitable)?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: September 24, 2012, 03:00:27 pm »

Crystal are freely recruitable on perfect runs. Or, at least, you can get 7 of them, which is more than enough I think. :P

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: September 24, 2012, 03:03:43 pm »

I've found that my favorite thing is the weapon pre-igniter. It really makes a huge difference when you can blast out your enemies weapons before they can do anything. having a crew of Zoltans running around is also pretty nifty if you  can deal with invaders.

hypothetically? a would like a red-tail with a full crew of 8 zoltans with a pre-igniter and 4 burst laser 2s. Start every fight with up to 12 damage right off the bat and still have enough power for full shields, cloak and maybe 1 or 2 defense drones or possibly full engines for the dodge.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: September 24, 2012, 03:41:16 pm »

Fire Bomb + Beam Drone MK1 + 2 Rock Boarders = All I need to destroy non-boss/auto enemies...  (This includes Zolton Shields)
Add Boarding Drone for more fun...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: September 24, 2012, 03:45:56 pm »

Hrm.  I'm starting to think engines are more important than shields.  I had an otherwise great ship, with lots of decent weapons, shields, and even a Mk2 defense drone and I got whupped by the final sector.  I've beaten that sector with much weaker ships before, and the only thing I can think of I did differently was I didn't put many points into engines this time.  Either that or I just got really unlucky.   :P
I actually don't put anyone on shields until I get my first new crewman.
I always go Bridge, Weapons, Engines. Though if I get a Mantis he sits like a dumb fool waiting for me to get a Tele, same with Rockmen.
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: September 24, 2012, 03:50:31 pm »

if you have not noticed, red-tail seems to be my favorite ship, its really easy to train weapons fast. If you face an enemy with at least 1 shield and can not bypass your own shields, you can set up a fire sequence with all 4 guns that never damages the enemy. This allows you to rapidly train gun crews.

I typically train my entire crew on all seats, so that it is less of a loss when i inevitably lose someone.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: September 24, 2012, 03:54:26 pm »

Assuming we /aren't/ fighting an oxygenless roboship, those cheaters. I believe the max power is 20, right?

Crystal B, Crew 4 Mantis, 4 Crystal

2 ion bombs , 2 Breach Missile (2 power) - If the tide starts to turn, or depending on the situation, I can drain the teleporter and Oxygen and/or the shields+drones, to charge both missiles
Maxed out shield, (8 power)
Teleport, (3 power)
Healing station, lv3 (no power default, I can take power from weapons or shields if I need it)
Autopilot/Sensors/Doors 3
Oxygen, lv3 (1 power)
Engines, lv whatever (1 power)
Defense Drone MKII, Defense Drone MKI (4 power) - Depending on enemy loadout, I may drop a level of shield

- Battle Starts -
First 2 seconds:
-2 Crystal and 2 Mantis Beam into enemy weapon room, assuming no super shield. Crystal #1 Lockdowns. When that runs out, Crystal #2 Lockdowns.
-Defense MKII Deployed - 2 shield may turn into the second defense drone if enemy is missile heavy
-Power is shunted from the Ion bombs, engine, and o2 into a breach missile, assuming no anti-missile drones. If there ARE, stick to the ion bombs, and keep the medbay/weapons/drones suppressed.

As the teleporter recharges:
- I vent my ship, aside from the med room and teleport. My second team goes in. If there's anyone in the enemy med bay, they head for secondary weapon (like artillery beam or drones, especially defense drones) and doors area (doors are being teleport target). If they can lock down the medbay with two crystals, I do that instead. Wherever they find a single person in a room enroute (traveling with Mantis/Crystal pairs), they will Lockdown and kill them before reinforcements arrive. If it looks like reinforcements will get into the weapon room before it is disabled, They will lock those reinforcements in, even at the expense of their own lives.

Then:
- The breach missiles go either into the medbay, or whatever room has the highest density of enemies.
- WIN

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: September 24, 2012, 04:04:18 pm »

I've found that my favorite thing is the weapon pre-igniter. It really makes a huge difference when you can blast out your enemies weapons before they can do anything.

Speaking of which, any ideas on how to get the related achievement, i.e. blow up the enemy with your first volley before they get a shot off? I've been trying to figure out how such a thing might even be possible, and I've got nuthin'.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: September 24, 2012, 04:07:34 pm »

I've found that my favorite thing is the weapon pre-igniter. It really makes a huge difference when you can blast out your enemies weapons before they can do anything.

Speaking of which, any ideas on how to get the related achievement, i.e. blow up the enemy with your first volley before they get a shot off? I've been trying to figure out how such a thing might even be possible, and I've got nuthin'.

Weapon-preigniter against an unshielded auto-drone should be pretty easy as long as you have powerful enough weapons. They don't have many hit points and beam weapons are actually useful as a fire-immediately option against them.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 243