Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 374001 times)

Mongol13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The mongols are and were cool.
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #1050 on: September 24, 2012, 05:19:29 pm »

There's a mod for that, too. You get to find it on their forums this time.
If Nyquil isn't meant to be abused, then why does it come with a shot glass?

My old account on this forum is klingon13524.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: September 24, 2012, 05:22:25 pm »

A mod for... what?

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: September 24, 2012, 05:39:56 pm »

I believe there is a way to turn off the advancing fleet in the ini file
Not quite, I just searched the ini file and there's nothing there that logically suggests it's possible that way.

There's a mod for that, too. You get to find it on their forums this time.
I think you mean this mod:
Right here you monsters:

http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2593
Which requires Grognak's Mod Manager aparently.

I've become willing to go through a couple batches of rebel controlled territory if it lets me get some more scrap before heading on.
I honestly should be more willing to try that, but I feel that the rebel fleet is ridiculously hard.
Unless of course those cruisers never get to you. I might be freaking out over nothing here.

Also, I feel really bad about having brought this whole subject up. I don't wanna just cheat. I just wanted more time to explore these really fascinating universes.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: September 24, 2012, 05:43:06 pm »

Do you ever get much out of beating the rebel ships? Every time I've beat the Elite Fighter all I've gotten is a single fuel or something else equally worthless. It gives me a message about not having time to salvage the ship because of the Rebel cruisers.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: September 24, 2012, 05:49:41 pm »

That's probably the point.  Grinding the the fleet for scrap shouldn't be viable, clearly.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: September 24, 2012, 06:14:12 pm »

Oh no, you never get anything from beating the Rebel fleet. But If you're willing to, you can stick around continuing getting scrap from other areas until well after they've taken over the exit.

It's only recommended if you make a good return and you know you can take the number of rebel ships you'll have to go through with minimal damage. I can generally do that, though.

also hey guis I med a form gaem lololol

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: September 24, 2012, 08:42:40 pm »

While flying the cloakship, I actually passed up the chance to get the Rock ship, because the only way to get there was through an asteroid field and I didn't want to give up the cheevo for not going there.

Very next Sector, only path forward from the entry zone was through a solar flare.  Fuck you, game.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #1057 on: September 24, 2012, 10:40:57 pm »

Well, I just completed the game for the fist time!

It was also the first time I'd gotten to the 8th sector on Normal difficulty, so I was pretty happy with winning, needless to say ;)

I do feel I may have found a somewhat cheesy way to win though, but I'm not allowing that to diminish my enjoyment of the moment. In reply to a post someone made a little ways back in the thread, this was my 8th or 9th game in total, most on normal but only on easy playthroughs had I reached the 8th sector (and proceeded to die). However, this particular game was the 2nd play through since I wiped my profile for the sake of recording my adventures as a Let's Play, so I had no unlocked ships, etc, but now I have the Zoltan and Engi ship unlocked, as well as the Federation Cruiser.

Again, pretty chuffed with my win, and very pleased with the game as a whole. Very glad I decided to pick it up!

Would it be rude of me to post a link to my youtube page, and the FTL let's play here? I couldn't tell if it would be best to post it in this thread, or start a general 'here's an FTL let's play' thread in the Play With Your Buddies section. I plan to continue playing the game and uploading daily videos as I try to win with the freshly unlocked ships.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: September 24, 2012, 11:07:25 pm »

No one will probably care if you did, sonny.
Hello Hunam

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: September 24, 2012, 11:53:48 pm »

I'm having a great run as the Vortex.  Yep, Engi Cruiser Variant B, also known as the crappiest ship in the game.

I'm running it with all the airlocks open to give my drones a leg up against fire and boarders, and focusing on my ships systems instead of building a crew.  I got a weapon pre-igniter as a random drop as well as a heavy laser mark 2, and it's only sector 4.  I still have no idea how I'm going to handle the flagship with only three weapons slots and no teleporter, especially since I've never beat it before.

Any advice?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: September 24, 2012, 11:58:49 pm »

You DO have boarders, silly! :P What do you think all those drone slots are for? Well, that or extra weapons, depending on which version your fighting and how you want to do it. If you go ALL OUT and get offensive combat drones, that will more than make up for your lack of weapon slots. Especially if your three weapons are ion weapons. Mwahaha.

(A drone arm is nice if you can get one, though, otherwise you won't want to do much of that before getting TO the boss)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: September 25, 2012, 12:24:30 am »

You DO have boarders, silly! :P What do you think all those drone slots are for? Well, that or extra weapons, depending on which version your fighting and how you want to do it. If you go ALL OUT and get offensive combat drones, that will more than make up for your lack of weapon slots. Especially if your three weapons are ion weapons. Mwahaha.

(A drone arm is nice if you can get one, though, otherwise you won't want to do much of that before getting TO the boss)

I have an anti-ship drone.  I guess if I get rid of the anti-personal drone and buy blast doors I'll have a slot free for another one.  I think I'm going to get a crew and stop using internal drones, sell my starting augment too.

My ion weapon seems awful.  2 Ion damage still only takes out one shield bar, and the final boss has four.  So I'm probably going to replace that.  I think my strategy at this point is going to be to get more attack drones and a burst laser, and overwhelm my enemies through sheer beam spam.  The sad thing is, I'm going to have replaced pretty much all of the starting gear; I like the idea of the Vortex, but practically speaking it sucks so hard.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: September 25, 2012, 12:51:39 am »

Ion Bomb is one power, costs one missile, does four ion damage, and lasts forever.

Ion Blast II does one ion damage, but can be fired every four seconds.

Ion weapons rock. Just not Ion Blast I or Heavy Ion Blast.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #1063 on: September 25, 2012, 03:38:37 am »

Ion blast 2 can easily take out 2-3 shields almost permanently, almost by itself, just because of its rate of fire! :)

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #1064 on: September 25, 2012, 05:36:53 am »

I've just finished uploading episode 8 of my FTL let's play to my YouTube channel, Bohemian Shenanigans, and I plan to upload episode 9 (where I defeat the final Rebel ship) tomorrow.

So far I've only had experience with the Kestrel, but as since completing the game I've unlocked the Engi and Zoltan ships, as well as the Federation Cruiser. While I imagine most people have had experience with the Engi ship, has anyone here had any experience with any the other two? I'm leaning in favour of the Zoltan ship for my next play through, but that special weapon system on the Federation Cruiser does look quite tempting ;) That said, if anyone has had good experience with the Engi ship, I'd like to hear your thoughts on it, but looking at the weapons loadout I'm concerned it might not have a lot of stopping power, am I mistaken in thinking that?

Any advice would be welcomed :)
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 243