Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 374194 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #675 on: September 18, 2012, 07:08:22 pm »

The 2nd engi layout is rather meh. The equipment is nice but you start with a lone engi for your crew. The drones don't come close to making up for the lack of other crewmen. I guess I'm going to use the federation cruiser.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

stoney834

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: September 18, 2012, 07:53:22 pm »

Its actually possible to kill all of the flagships crew on the first phase, and they stay dead for the rest of the fight.  Unfortunately as soon as you kill the last one the ship starts slowly repairing its systems like the unmanned ships do.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: September 18, 2012, 07:54:35 pm »

So I guess the best solution is to kill all but one or two.
(he says, despite having not killed any enemy crew that weren't boarding his ship)
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: September 18, 2012, 07:56:57 pm »

The AI doesn't follow the same rules as us, I've noticed. They've accomplished a few things I couldn't. Like hitting multiple ship parts with the hits from a single burst laser.

That could go either way, though. Because losing two shield levels or a lot of weapons in one barrage would hurt a player almost too much.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: September 18, 2012, 08:01:09 pm »

The AI doesn't follow the same rules as us, I've noticed. They've accomplished a few things I couldn't. Like hitting multiple ship parts with the hits from a single burst laser.

That could go either way, though. Because losing two shield levels or a lot of weapons in one barrage would hurt a player almost too much.
Yeah, its a bit of a nerf really, in theory it can help, but 95% of the time it just makes them weaker.
If the designers wanted they could put a super-hard mode in the game by only changing AI behavior  (eg. they only focus critical rooms (mainly sheilds/weapons/pilot), all beams hit the maximum number of rooms targetable, enemies jump only into critical rooms, all attacks are arranged in bursts if at all possible, beams aren't fired unless your shield is at a point that they can damage you), but they didn't do that because they decided to be kind of nice (although having a hard mode would be sort of cool).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: September 18, 2012, 08:27:18 pm »

If enemies fighted like that it would be almost too hard i think it would be cool tough.

Rebecca Black

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: September 18, 2012, 08:28:50 pm »

So beat the boss for the first time with Red-Tail, using the double mantis boarding to breeze through all but the last stage(due to 2 uncloaked 'power surges').

However, when killing the last stage, I forgot my Mantis were the ones dealing the killing blow. They died as heroes, even though I live on as an idiot.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: September 18, 2012, 08:39:30 pm »

The helm will function if a crew member is in there and in combat or repairing, however it won't give the crew member's evade bonus.
Now thats bull. I had my Pilot under attack and the jump command disabled with a fully working helm...

It makes up for the fact that the AI doesn't aim.  Imagine if the AI actually shot regularily at non-empty rooms!  The horror!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: September 18, 2012, 09:12:58 pm »

Hah, apparently you can kill ships after accepting their surrender if you set their ship on fire when they're at low health. I never knew that. ;D

"We accept your surrender. Good luck with those fires." *Trollface*
"SON OF A-" *Boom*
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: September 18, 2012, 09:48:16 pm »

Yeah had that happen a couple of times... kind of an "Oops, sorry." moment.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: September 18, 2012, 09:56:20 pm »

i teleported my crew to their deaths twice in a row >______>

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: September 18, 2012, 10:03:45 pm »

I'm having trouble getting anywhere with the Stealth and Rock ships. Their extremely limited weapon/system beginnings make the first couple of sectors a mad search for better armament.

Stealth ship: Sustain hull damage in practically every fight. Any ships you destroy only pay for the repair costs. Unless you find an epic weapon at random, you're SOL.
Rock ship: Missiles run out. See above, except scrap goes towards buying more missiles.

It ends up that I reach sector 3 and still have almost no upgrades, no shields, and the same shitty weapons. :/
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: September 18, 2012, 10:46:04 pm »

Hopefully you teleported your entire crew.

I just unlocked the last ship in the list. Half of the ship B types are unlocked. Luckily got the last ship with the Rock ship to unlock that B type.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: September 18, 2012, 10:49:38 pm »

I'm having trouble getting anywhere with the Stealth and Rock ships. Their extremely limited weapon/system beginnings make the first couple of sectors a mad search for better armament.

Stealth ship: Sustain hull damage in practically every fight. Any ships you destroy only pay for the repair costs. Unless you find an epic weapon at random, you're SOL.
Rock ship: Missiles run out. See above, except scrap goes towards buying more missiles.

It ends up that I reach sector 3 and still have almost no upgrades, no shields, and the same shitty weapons. :/

A tip with the stealth ship, if you wait until they've fired first you can use the stealth to all but guarantee you'll dodge the first shot, which can give you time to charge your weapons and shoot out their weapons system.

Assuming the RNG winds are favourable, you should hopefully be able to get shields by sector 3.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: September 18, 2012, 10:54:21 pm »

Hopefully you teleported your entire crew.

I just unlocked the last ship in the list. Half of the ship B types are unlocked. Luckily got the last ship with the Rock ship to unlock that B type.
first it was two rockman (that i received in the first sector >:I) and second was my gunner and engi (damnit they had one crewman left!)

i need to turn off autofiring :P
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 243