Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 374310 times)

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #390 on: September 16, 2012, 11:35:15 am »

Same way you get cloak on ships with shield, you purchase it in a store. It costs 150 scrap, though, so it's definitely not cheap.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: September 16, 2012, 11:56:40 am »

:_:

MOTHERSHIIIIP, wait. Flagship. Whatever, the point being that holy hell so many rockets D:
Just send some dudes to attack the missile launcher. You can even do it with a single rock or mantis, but the mantis is faster.

Managed to get my second victory after 3 starts where I couldn't beat the first battle(have won 40% of my games :D). The Federation Cruiser is pretty sweet. Was REALLY not expecting to beat the final battle, simply because I had only 1 mantis to deal with boarders, the others were either stuck in their posts or engies(had 5 of the damn things). But I just concentrated on surviving and I didnt even notice when the artillery kicked the crap out of the flagship.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 11:58:19 am by cerapa »

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Torham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: September 16, 2012, 12:22:49 pm »

I am sensing there is element of luck involved. Sure skill helps, but sometimes the game just keep throwing lemons at you, and lemonade will not be as effective as laser guns  :).
I, for one, welcome our new Pony Overlords.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: September 16, 2012, 12:23:55 pm »

I think I just saw an asteroid collide with an enemy missile just before they would have hit my weapons room.
It happens all the time. All projectiles will hit each other if they happen to intersect. Enemy weapons fire will hit asteroids on your side, your weapons will hit incoming missiles if the timing and direction is /just/ right, etc, etc. Defense drones won't shoot down attacking anti-ship drones, but the MkIIs will shoot at the laser pulses and sometimes take the drone out.

In other news, I actually beat the game. On my 20th attempt. On Normal. My ship was a Kestrel with two MkII Burst Lasers, an Ion Blast 2, and the Artemis missiles. Technically I had three MkII Bursts, but there is only so much weapon space, and either a shield-piercing missile or a system-locking ion cannon are better choices than a burst laser. I also had a Hull Repair drone to patch myself up inbetween fights, and a Defense Drone MkII for some anti-missile work. And an anti-personnel drone that I swapped in for the last fight. I rolled quite a good loadout that game. :)

I am now working on getting the alternate form for the Federation Cruiser. This game is quite fun.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

fred1248

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: September 16, 2012, 12:24:07 pm »

I am sensing there is element of luck involved. Sure skill helps, but sometimes the game just keep throwing lemons at you, and lemonade will not be as effective as laser guns  :).

RNG takes huge part in this game.
Just make combustable lemons from the lemons game throws at you and you will be fine :)
How do you deliberately crutch a dwarf who seems to have no urge to go to the hospital and be diagnosed with "walklessness?"
Break his other leg.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: September 16, 2012, 12:30:46 pm »

I find boarders relatively easy to handle unless they come in fours or more. It also depends on which ship I'm using, the placement of airlocks and connecting rooms makes a big difference.

Suffocate the boarders as long as possible while they smack down your doors (you should have blast doors by this time). Be sure to close the outer airlocks before they break down a door to a room you need to defend.. you don't want your crew suffocating while they fight. If you are fighting their ship at the same time, focus everything you have on disabling their weapon systems asap so that you have as much time for the boarders as possible.

If the enemy boarders aren't mantis and they have less health than your nearby crew, go kick their asses! No crew should die. If you ever have an opportunity to fight them in the med-bay do it! They'll never overcome you there if it's activated.

Lengthy spoilers on dealing with the ending for those who are frustrated:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Torham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: September 16, 2012, 12:31:42 pm »

Just make combustable lemons ...

Actually I had a lot of fun with the firebomb weapon just now - teleporting explosives that set whole room on fire. The enemy crew will get there to stop the flames just in time for second bomb to explode in their faces. Helps having a slug onboard to sense enemy crew. Sadly it wasn't as powerful on the late game ships.
I, for one, welcome our new Pony Overlords.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: September 16, 2012, 12:40:43 pm »

Just make combustable lemons ...

Actually I had a lot of fun with the firebomb weapon just now - teleporting explosives that set whole room on fire. The enemy crew will get there to stop the flames just in time for second bomb to explode in their faces. Helps having a slug onboard to sense enemy crew. Sadly it wasn't as powerful on the late game ships.

you should break the piloting section first so you get 100% hit chance

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: September 16, 2012, 12:45:50 pm »

So got the second layout of the Engi Crusier............ JUST ONE ENGI MANNING THIS THING!!!

AND no sensors. My ten meter pole isn't touching that thing with a ten meter pole...

Helps having a slug onboard to sense enemy crew.

I just go for the level two sensors.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 01:38:31 pm by Oliolli »

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: September 16, 2012, 12:58:25 pm »

KEEP FORGETTING TO TURN ON AUTOFIRE!!! BLAGH!!!
Keep forgetting to turn off autofire. (Second time I blow up my own troops).
Wow... Yeah so easy to forget that you have your cannons firing when your busy micromanaging a takeover...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: September 16, 2012, 01:08:30 pm »

I have confirmed, it is possible to savescum in this game! Yes!

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: September 16, 2012, 01:54:58 pm »

Takes some of the fun out of it to do so, though.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: September 16, 2012, 01:59:35 pm »

All my hate. Sometimes you end up in the last level (like I do every run basically) and the flagship will reach the base regardless of what you do, because the randrom map layout screws you so hard...

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: September 16, 2012, 02:07:17 pm »

I've been screwed over with repair stations plenty, but I've never had a problem with actually getting to the thing. And I've been through the game quite a few times now. Huh..

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: September 16, 2012, 02:13:50 pm »

I have confirmed, it is possible to savescum in this game! Yes!

Of course you can. You also risk your save if done improperly.
Also, as far as I can tell every random event in a sector is pregenerated either as you warp in or even before that. I lost a save and happened to have a backup that I was moving to a different computer. Ever event I had gone through was exactly in the same place. The odds of the RNG doing that on the fly is ridiculously miniscule.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 02:15:48 pm by BigD145 »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 243