Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 374306 times)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #375 on: September 16, 2012, 09:32:42 am »

So got the second layout of the Engi Crusier............ JUST ONE ENGI MANNING THIS THING!!!
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: September 16, 2012, 10:03:42 am »

I enjoy boarding actions, myself; always fun to send people over to destroy the other ship from the inside out.  It isn't so fun to end up LOSING my squad when the enemy vessel explodes on accident, though.

RIP Perfect Crew.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: September 16, 2012, 10:05:16 am »

I think I just saw an asteroid collide with an enemy missile just before they would have hit my weapons room.

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: September 16, 2012, 10:07:03 am »

The problem is merely gains on success, which breed more success, which breed more gains.

The proper way to skill up is on skill failures, so that as you succeed more, gains become less frequent and harder challenges must be sought. Swear to god there's one or two lines of code where this can be changed. Instead of hits, gain on the misses.

This is the smartest programming idea I have heard in a while. Do you mind if I steal it?

Oh, the idea is not really mine, so I guess it's public domain. I've seen in it several games.

@Trollheiming
I am sorry to burst your bubble but that would not remove the grind but instead make it longer.

Depends on the particular skill implementation, doesn't it? It can potentially eliminate the grind. Evasion, for example. Suffice to say, if a guy always dodges against a weak opponent, then he can skill up without risk on unlimited risk-free successes. But if he has to take damage in order to skill up, it becomes a risk.

Additionally you can add an offset: on a die of 100 against your evasion skill, only gain when the hit roll calculation was +10 over the threshold. By the time your dodge is good enough that you can avoid 90% of the shots, you get zero returns on your grinding. You only skill up when there's a chance of seriously failing a roll.

I enjoy boarding actions, myself; always fun to send people over to destroy the other ship from the inside out.  It isn't so fun to end up LOSING my squad when the enemy vessel explodes on accident, though.

I prefer causing a lot of fires and gloating as my enemies rush around burning themselves to death in the hopeless battle against the inferno.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 10:51:43 am by Trollheiming »

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: September 16, 2012, 10:21:27 am »

RIP Perfect Crew.
There is an Achievement for doing that but to have NO ONE left on your main ship at the time it explodes...
When I saw that Achievement I was like OMG EPIC ROFL!!!! The idea that you are to LOSE to get that achievement is wonderful...
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: September 16, 2012, 10:22:31 am »

Just got a weapon preigniter on my second jump, for defending a small settlement.

To bad I'm using the Torus :'(

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: September 16, 2012, 10:38:19 am »

Just got a weapon preigniter on my second jump, for defending a small settlement.

That would be an excuse to dump the drones and buy up some nifty weapons. You can always get more drones later. A pre-igniter is just too good to NOT use.

I haven't gotten a handle on the Torus yet. The Kestrel I know, somewhat how I want to upgrade it to be decent. I can reliably get to sector 5 now and out of 12 games I've gotten to sector 7 twice.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: September 16, 2012, 10:46:35 am »

KEEP FORGETTING TO TURN ON AUTOFIRE!!! BLAGH!!!

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: September 16, 2012, 10:51:09 am »

:_:

MOTHERSHIIIIP, wait. Flagship. Whatever, the point being that holy hell so many rockets D:

I even had a good collection of laser weapons that would overwhelm their shields.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: September 16, 2012, 10:52:42 am »

KEEP FORGETTING TO TURN ON AUTOFIRE!!! BLAGH!!!
Keep forgetting to turn off autofire. (Second time I blow up my own troops).

That would be an excuse to dump the drones and buy up some nifty weapons. You can always get more drones later. A pre-igniter is just too good to NOT use.

I haven't gotten a handle on the Torus yet. The Kestrel I know, somewhat how I want to upgrade it to be decent. I can reliably get to sector 5 now and out of 12 games I've gotten to sector 7 twice.
I found an anti ion thing too, but got some bad luck from the RNG. Was finally killed by a sadistic slug. (Shutting down oxygen and then using fire weapons is mean). I managed to jump away from that one into another, who allowed my to choose my own death.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: September 16, 2012, 10:56:37 am »

My Engi survived a firefight with only 1 hull point left. The problem? Fires in the north end of the ship. I start opening the doors to vent it, and it spread to my oxygen generator. This unholy fire survived in what was almost a void long enough to destroy my O2 generator, and system destruction automatically does 1 hull point in damage...

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: September 16, 2012, 10:58:19 am »

I couldn't even beat the Flagship with the Krestle; but did on my third run-through with the Engi ship, setup 1. XD That was sorta funneh.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Torham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: September 16, 2012, 11:26:08 am »

Gah,  I have managed to engage the flagship 4 times now. I still haven't found a good setup to beat it though  :'(. I am finding the Engi brick much easier to fly right until the very end. It just handles better, but in the endgame the droids start to be a little underpowered. Wasn't helped by the fact that through the entore run I couldn't find any shops that would sell better than mark 1 drones...
One thing I wanted to ask:
As the armada is pursuing me, does the gain I get on them in one sector transfer to the next? Or should I leave the sector at the last possible moment? Right now, when I have a decent time to spare I tend to explore a bit more, but maybe than I am losing time that I could use to push forward to gain more distance between me and the armada.
I, for one, welcome our new Pony Overlords.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: September 16, 2012, 11:29:10 am »

This game is amazing. Just did my first run with the stealth cruiser (Damn that layout! Venting is freaking impossible), got to sector seven when this happened:

Five mantis boarders?!

Didn't help that the enemy ship was pretty beefy as well.

Edit: linking fail.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 11:30:41 am by Silfurdreki »
Entropy is not what it used to be.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: September 16, 2012, 11:32:43 am »

ehi! how did you get shield on that thing?
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 243