Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Randomly Generated Holidays!  (Read 4310 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Randomly Generated Holidays!
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2012, 12:09:51 pm »

Given enough spite from the Random Number God, there will be world generated with every single day of the year as a holiday.

While I somewhat support this suggestion, there needs to be a hard cap (perhaps something in the init file, or in worldgen) on how many holidays there can be yearly.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2012, 12:18:25 pm »

Given enough spite from the Random Number God, there will be world generated with every single day of the year as a holiday.

While I somewhat support this suggestion, there needs to be a hard cap (perhaps something in the init file, or in worldgen) on how many holidays there can be yearly.

It would probably be a once a year (or few years) sort of affair.

Not to mention there are a lot of Holidays that arn't holidays for everyone or even imply AT ALL that there is any time off of work.

Besides only REALLY major hollidays should breach into Fortress mode.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2012, 12:46:43 pm »

I don't suppose everybody here has read the published sourcebook for the Babylon 5 RPG, but this reminds me of information about the on-station post-office.

For the one or two readers who are uninitiated, and haven't already had the joke telegraphed, there was a list of holidays given due observance by the station's staff.  These are from the many human cultures and religious groups, as well as an obviously numerous contingent of alien festivals and the like.

It is a long list, which covers virtually every day in the calendar year.  I believe the very final day left otherwise unaccounted for (if you went to the effort of going through the non-calendar-ordered initial lists, as I'm pretty sure I did at some point) was marked in a postscript as "Training day for Post Office staff: full day closure", or similar.

Apoz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2012, 02:55:58 pm »

I've already thought about a system of generated holidays and I like it. I think it would be particularly fun in adventure mode. Imagine stopping at a city and discovering it's full of decorations, of songs and dances.

What I like about it is all the random traditions which could be generated...

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2012, 02:55:59 pm »

Footkerchief is practically a robot now. Soon he will be fully integrated into the forum software.
Aww. Come on. He's just trying to keep the forum from being cluttered and it being hard for Toady to see more than the same three suggestions. He at least deserves credit for that, yeah?
Oh, I appreciate it. It's fantastic, it just feels a little... automated.

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2012, 04:15:54 pm »

Footkerchief is practically a robot now. Soon he will be fully integrated into the forum software.
Aww. Come on. He's just trying to keep the forum from being cluttered and it being hard for Toady to see more than the same three suggestions. He at least deserves credit for that, yeah?

Spamming every post with a list of tangentially related posts does nothing to reduce clutter. If he could actually merge the threads together, that would be useful, but it seems like the aim is just to embarrass people who start threads so that they'll stop.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2012, 04:53:19 pm »

Spamming every post with a list of tangentially related posts does nothing to reduce clutter. If he could actually merge the threads together, that would be useful, but it seems like the aim is just to embarrass people who start threads so that they'll stop.

Pretty self explanatory.
Pages: 1 2 [3]