Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Randomly Generated Holidays!  (Read 4304 times)

Maksie99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Randomly Generated Holidays!
« on: January 08, 2012, 10:23:41 am »

I think it would be nice to have randomly generated holidays. The holiday would relate to a historical event, give dwarves a happy thought and would cause them to throw a party if a dining hall or statue garden is available. Here's a little example.

Dragonfall the Plump Helmets Day is a dwarven holiday. It relates to the killing of Naz the male dragon in 345. This holiday is usually celebrated with plump helmets, prepared dragon kidney and blue rope reed fiber hats.

I think random little things like this make the game more interesting.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
Re: Randomly Generated Holidays!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 10:31:57 am »

Cacamegethor is a dwarven holiday. It relates to the rise in a long lost dwarven kingdom of Cacame Awemendinade the elf to kingship. This is celebrated by the slaughtering of dragons, the killing of elves, and the famous Colossus of Cacame, where a horde of invaders were scared off by a giant statue of the king. This holiday also relates to the disappearance of Cacame into a deep mountain forest, his last words having been 'I'm going to go show elves what happens when you spill my pint.'

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 03:44:37 pm »

Urist McAxeDwarf cancels fight siege:  celebrating Plump Helmet Day.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 05:39:59 am »

Urist McAxeDwarf cancels fight siege:  celebrating Plump Helmet Day.

Cue the on-break-ocalypse

Tai_MT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 07:05:08 am »

I like the idea of "holidays", but I can't see what they'd do.  Mostly I can see them grinding the fortress to a standstill.  Now, you could have them "work through the holidays" as well.  Since, we humans do such a thing, it isn't hard to believe that Dwarves wouldn't either.

Perhaps you could only have "No Job" dwarves celebrate and everyone else continues what they were doing?  Also, if you didn't have the materials on hand to make the "party equipment" like those blue hats you talked about...  Would it result in cancelling the whole thing and giving a negative thought?

I'm just not sure, it seems like this would make the game unnecessarily difficult to play.  It's a cool concept and would flesh out the world a bit more...  I just can't see how it would be implemented in a way that wouldn't completely derail the fortress and possibly cause its destruction.
Elves aren't environmentalists, they're the smartest businessmen ever created in Dwarf Fortress.  Think about it, the only plants they want you to use are the ones they supply.  They even go so far as to attack you for producing too much lumber of your own.  They're not hippies, they're violent businessmen!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 07:08:45 am »

I like the idea of "holidays", but I can't see what they'd do.  Mostly I can see them grinding the fortress to a standstill.  Now, you could have them "work through the holidays" as well.  Since, we humans do such a thing, it isn't hard to believe that Dwarves wouldn't either.

Perhaps you could only have "No Job" dwarves celebrate and everyone else continues what they were doing?  Also, if you didn't have the materials on hand to make the "party equipment" like those blue hats you talked about...  Would it result in cancelling the whole thing and giving a negative thought?

I'm just not sure, it seems like this would make the game unnecessarily difficult to play.  It's a cool concept and would flesh out the world a bit more...  I just can't see how it would be implemented in a way that wouldn't completely derail the fortress and possibly cause its destruction.

And nobles don't do the same? If anything, it could be something a new noble/high nobles could perform as their duties - if they suffer an unfortunate accident, suddenly the Dwarves get an unhappy thought for not being able to celebrate their plump helmet day :P
More !FUN!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 05:21:31 pm »

Let's break this down into two main parts.

"...make the game unnecessarily difficult to play."
Good idea, badly worded. DF is already unnecessarily difficult, it's just so in entertaining ways. Holidays? Maybe not so much.

"I just can't see how it would be implemented in a way that wouldn't completely derail the fortress and possibly cause its destruction."
Like there's ANYTHING that can't cause a fortress's destruction? And everyone seems so fond of derailing stuff here...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Shadowscales

• Bay Watcher
  • rawr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 07:33:23 pm »

OK!
Minor holidays wouldn't really matter, but selected major ones would, there would be approx 2 of these per year.
You wouldn't need any fancy gear, that would just make the dorfs celebrate more!
On these days, double the alcohol will be used!
Welcome to the fold, the weirdos are in that corner, and that one, and those two. And in the middle too, we're all weirdos in the Furry Fandom

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 07:45:41 pm »

"We Love The Spirit Of The Fortress Day" celebration cancelled in YourFortress: everybody is Kung-Fu Fighting.  It's a little bit frightening.

(Alternatively...: they're all dead, Dave, everybody's dead, Dave, everybody's dead.)

Am I mixing too many memes up, there?  Probably.

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 08:42:17 pm »

OK!
Minor holidays wouldn't really matter, but selected major ones would, there would be approx 2 of these per year.
You wouldn't need any fancy gear, that would just make the dorfs celebrate more!
On these days, double the alcohol will be used!
Uhh...

I would rather that Holidays be based on either very important historical events, or religious events that where dwarves praise a specific god (or event that occurred between gods).

For example; The Dwarves who hail from the civilization The Manor of Tours celebrate the day of when Urist McPlumpHelmet made peace with the nearby Goblin civilization. It is believed that McPlumpHelmet had the blessings of the Unicorn Goddess. On this day, they celebrate by dressing up as Goblins (green dye?), eating Plump Helmets, and worshipping the Unicorn Goddess of Peace and Fertility (this could inspire dwarves to have more sex). Also, music, of course.

Eventually, when multiple races can live in a fort together, this would be amazing time for Dwarves and Goblins to mix together.
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
"Tigermen are lazy and worthless... but not MY friend, Grroawarul."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 10:09:42 pm »

They currently do mix together though :D

Albeit, very, very violently....

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 12:16:41 pm »

You fool. If elves and dwarves come together...

A. I am created in your fort. Your very own IamanElfCollaborator! :D
B. Blood splatters the halls.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 01:11:28 pm »

Ha.  I just played NetHack to see if I could reach lv4 as a Tourist, and it mentioned something regarding Fri 13th.  That was kinda creepy.  I'm all for Unrandomly Generated Holidays.  As for Random Holidays, I would prefer processing go elsewhere, especially the random calculations.  Combat and much greater variety in world generation.  That is not to say however, that I wouldn't enjoy a few birthday partys, now and again.  "Grab your beard, grab your beer, theres a party coming here!" 

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.
Pages: [1] 2 3