Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New weapon idea  (Read 1595 times)

gamewizardinnc

• Bay Watcher
  • Plush rumps as for as the eye can see
    • View Profile
New weapon idea
« on: January 06, 2012, 11:33:36 pm »

So while trying to convince my friend to at least try DF, I came upon the topic of modding. I then decided to think of an idea to create a minefield like trap.

So you know how magma heats up the tiles directly adjacent to it to a certain temperature? I was thinking that I could just mod in a new material that boils at that temperature and place it all over the out side area of my map. I would then surround each thing with a pressure plate set to release magma under the new material whenever a goblin steps on it!

The result being the goblin being caught in boiling hot steam!

My only question being will it work. I don't have access to computer at the moment, and i need someone else to test this idea. However this may have already been done before if so, I apologize for repeating it.
I probably won't be the 13th player with the Curse of Failcannon likely hanging in the air like a particularly pungent dog fart

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: New weapon idea
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 11:41:05 pm »

In theory: Yes.
In practice: You'll have a lot of trouble getting it to ignite quickly or violently enough.  You're probably better off doing a stockpile of these items, a large one in front of your fort, and then flooding the whole layer under it with magma to create a whole field of melted whatever-material.  Or burning field, depending on its ignition vs melting points.

Of course, ultimately, any attempt to use magma to trigger fires becomes null when you realize that you can more easily apply magma directly to the problem.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 11:58:49 pm »

I don't think that this would be very useful. You might be able to boil substances by putting magma beneath them, but if you do so, they'll boil at the temperature of the tile they're in, which the goblins are capable of withstanding. Goblins can walk a z-level above magma, after all, and what you're talking about is sending them through mist that's at least somewhat cooler than that.

Applying magma directly is likely to be significantly more efficient and effective.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 12:34:33 am »

I don't think that this would be very useful. You might be able to boil substances by putting magma beneath them, but if you do so, they'll boil at the temperature of the tile they're in, which the goblins are capable of withstanding. Goblins can walk a z-level above magma, after all, and what you're talking about is sending them through mist that's at least somewhat cooler than that.

Applying magma directly is likely to be significantly more efficient and effective.

It would be more easily controllable than magma, though. And if the vapours of whatever it was happened to be poisonous...
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 01:33:55 am »

Question: Would the temperature of the material be enough to subsequently ignite an alcohol barrel? If so, controlled explosions that move faster than magma could.
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 02:51:05 am »

Exploding alcohol doesn't.  It boils.  Barely.  You don't light a barrel on fire and explode.  Instead you lightly mist your enemies and leave them smelling of fresh wine.

Granted, the wood catching on fire would likely be dangerous in itself, so whatever.

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 03:13:41 am »

Blast and damn! Still, maybe making the gobbo threat smell better would be an improvement? Maybe?
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 03:22:58 am »

Meph's Masterwork mod features landmines which you can order from the dwarven caravans. They behave like animals that explode with various effects when killed (acid, blind, fire, etc).
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 04:32:42 am »

Give the material some lovely syndrome, and it'll work finely.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 04:33:17 am »

Magma landmines. 'Nuff said.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 10:22:54 am »

Um, this makes me remember an old thread where someone had discovered that zinc bars (I think) had a low enough boiling point to be boiled by magma. Long story short, clouds of boiling anything, be it metal or booze, do no damage to anything in df. However, if you were to mod the material to have syndromes then it can become a very different ball game indeed.
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 12:12:44 pm »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Temperature

alcohol freezes 9850 U
water freezes 10000 U
underground 10015 U
outside (varies) 10048 U
dwarf/human body temp 10067 U
floor above magma 10075 U

fat melts 10078 U
water boils 10180 U
fire 11000 U
common stone melts 11500 U
magma 12000 U

If you had a new material that ignites at 10071 U, you could place it outside and it would catch on fire if magma was under the floor.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 12:43:23 pm »

And upon ignition it's temperature would suddenly rise to 11 000 U? I think I can hear my physics teacher sobbing...

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

gamewizardinnc

• Bay Watcher
  • Plush rumps as for as the eye can see
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2012, 01:24:15 pm »

Thanks for the feedback guys! So an order to make it lethal just add a syndrome to the material?
I probably won't be the 13th player with the Curse of Failcannon likely hanging in the air like a particularly pungent dog fart

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2012, 01:50:15 pm »

And upon ignition it's temperature would suddenly rise to 11 000 U? I think I can hear my physics teacher sobbing...

Assume the ignition causes a massively exothermic reaction. like lightning some magnesium
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!
Pages: [1] 2