Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54

Author Topic: Got a neeto idea (want in?)  (Read 64023 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Got a neeto idea (want in?)
« Reply #780 on: March 04, 2012, 11:46:04 pm »

Thanks. :D

The world I've gt generating now looks very promising. All traits accounted for. Hopefully it doesn't self-destruct.

Well, hopefully no game-breaking bugs exist within it, because it is rather interesting. There is a grand total of 50 towers according to the sites and pops file, and I've found and tagged 49 of them. As usual, they're concentrated in the south, but they are represented throughout the world, including two on the big island and one in the north-eastern corner (human civs) Still no humans or dwarves in the north-western corner. Necromancer tower formation demands !!SCIENCE!! because the normal range is 11-20, and a very few with huge quantities like this between 30 and now 50.

Haven't tested this one yet but I'm hoping for the best because it took an hour to generate.

And no, necromancer towers haven't been the most important parameter thus far. Keeping the glaciers in the south and the northern sea good are. About 50% of worlds get aborted for having the arctic in the north and about 75% of the remainder get aborted for having an evil northern sea. On top of that, I've thrown away 8-10 worlds to update the raws. Towers do add quite a bit though, so I also threw out 5-10 that had less than 15, or were distributed very poorly, and intentionally set human and dwarven civs to have DEATH as a common sphere in their pantheons in the hopes of generating more necromancers. That raised it from an average of 1-6 after setting dwarf and human lifespans to 3000-4000, but still; not all civs generate necromancers. More !!SCIENCE!! needed for what exactly causes it.

So, now that I'm out of blatantly obvious fixes and have something interesting, I could upload it and we can test for less-obvious problems.

Ok, try this:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5755

It gave me a nemesis unit load error the first time I tried to start an adventurer, but the problem seemed to correct itself as it didn't happen again.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 01:29:12 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: March 05, 2012, 02:24:43 pm »

^ I got a nemesis error in the last world too. It was right after I went on a were-civet rampage, saved and reloaded, and crashed after a few steps. I was able to crush it by simply traveling away from the site and coming back (sleeping probably would've also worked), so it's hardly a serious problem.

Anyway, good stuff. I was a bit worried there weren't any undead mountains at first, but The Silent Wall (or should I say Silent Hill, if it only had a lake valley) in the southeast fills that quota. The only other problem is that there aren't many interesting civilization names, but that's not a big deal. Now there seems to be a necromancer tower in every major region of the world, very convenient.

Wasn't giving humans and dwarves 4000 year lifespans a bit excessive? We could've just as easily settled for 1000, or even 600. :P
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: March 05, 2012, 03:09:55 pm »

Eh, I suppose. I thought it was a good idea, though...

Any other errors? I haven't gotten the chance to mess with it much.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: March 05, 2012, 04:03:26 pm »

Other than the error where you retire an adventurer and it crashes 100% of the time when scrolling down to him on the "Choose Your Adventurer" list (which means we definately can NOT be having retired adventurers in the save, at least until whatever's causing it is fixed), I think we're good.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 04:12:02 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Kassil

• Bay Watcher
  • Zenarchist
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: March 05, 2012, 06:19:51 pm »

Anyway, good stuff. I was a bit worried there weren't any undead mountains at first, but The Silent Wall (or should I say Silent Hill, if it only had a lake valley) in the southeast fills that quota.

Is there a river or aquifer near it? I haven't had the chance to look, yet - if there is, one of us could take it upon ourselves to /make/ a lake in the area.
Wheelbarrows with wheels are inferior to the true wheelbarrow.
you mean elves with loads of stone loaded onto their backs while walking on their hands with dwarves holding their legs to guide them?

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: March 05, 2012, 06:31:18 pm »

Speaking of making a lake, are programs like DFHack allowed for things like that?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: March 05, 2012, 10:19:35 pm »

Perhaps, if we discuss it before your turn comes up. I see nothing wrong with using it outdoors in areas with a lack of ponds/rivers to source artificial lakes from.

So do we agree that the save will thus far be stable enough for use, ignoring the adventurer problem?
I make Spellcrafts!

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: March 05, 2012, 11:21:03 pm »

I mean a huge, natural lake valley; not a cheap, artificial pond ::)
Not that I was planning on doing anything involving lakes with my turn, anyways :P

Now we're just waiting for PoinDexterity or someone to begin.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 11:36:52 pm by Spish »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: March 06, 2012, 12:27:11 am »

I wonder if Poindexter knows the slew of bugs have finally been slain. I'll PM him just in case :D
I make Spellcrafts!

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: March 06, 2012, 11:50:08 am »

So... 35.05?
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: March 06, 2012, 01:53:26 pm »

Do I have to? :c

The RAW changes were all entirely post-generation implementable, besides a lot of creatures getting the [BENIGN] tag, which only affects biome placement, so not necessarily important in any way.

I'll upload the new raws and whoever gets the first turn can paste them into the save.
I make Spellcrafts!

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: March 06, 2012, 03:01:39 pm »

Do I have to? :c

The RAW changes were all entirely post-generation implementable, besides a lot of creatures getting the [BENIGN] tag, which only affects biome placement, so not necessarily important in any way.

I'll upload the new raws and whoever gets the first turn can paste them into the save.
that'll be me, and if you'd be so kind as to include directions so i can do that, eh?
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: March 06, 2012, 03:07:25 pm »

I'm guessing you just paste the 0.34.05 b_detail_plan_default.txt over the one in our save's raws. I could be wrong though.

Edit: Yup, that's the ticket. Now I can continue my Kobold/Zombie Apocalypse fortress :D
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 06:08:02 pm by Spish »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: March 07, 2012, 02:53:50 am »

There were a few other little things to update, like horseshoe crabs, but yes; just copy body_default.txt over from the 34.05 raws into the raw folder in the save. I'll just paste the rest of the new raws for those here in this post...

Search for ' red panda' in the file of the spoiler'd name and replace the first two lines of their entry with this.

Search for giant desert scorpion in creature_savage_tropical.txt and replace "insect" in their description tag with "arachnid"

Search in this file for 'mule' and look for the line like the one in this spoiler just below the child definition and replace it with this one.
Spoiler: creature_domestic.txt (click to show/hide)

Do the same for 'muskox' in this file. It's at the top of the file, luckily.

search in this file for 'horse' and add this anywhere below the creature tile statement.
Spoiler: creature_ocean_new (click to show/hide)

And that should be everything. Only other change the changelog mentions is adding [AMPHIBIOUS] to crabs, which they already have. No idea what's up with that...

And thanks Spish for all the help bugtesting and suggestions. Saved me a lot of time when I was testing for other issues. :D
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 03:11:17 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: March 07, 2012, 04:05:47 am »

So, the turns have actually began now?
Do not forget about outlining borders everywhere and slab every last one ghost in a fort.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54