Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 54

Author Topic: Got a neeto idea (want in?)  (Read 64024 times)

cludgo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Got a neeto idea (want in?)
« Reply #750 on: March 01, 2012, 09:45:59 pm »

Ok I am a newb but wanna play with that genned world. What am I doing with the zip file to make it so that I have it on my DF
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 09:47:30 pm by cludgo »

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: March 01, 2012, 09:52:06 pm »

Downalod, and copy it to the "Save" folder. Make sure there are no duplicate folders between it and the aforementioned "Save" folder (There should only be one "Succession World - 216").

Edit: In retrospect, hidden history is kind of depressing. It doesn't show anything you do in dwarf mode unless you read engravings about it in adventure mode (and we know how dwarves prefer to draw random, unimportant events). After doing a brief embark, I wanted to look up my civilization and its leaders' history; but it wouldn't let me see anything, not the current queen and general (who sounded like badasses), and not even the 7 dwarves I started out with. Things work a little better in adventure mode (once you kill someone important and report their death, their history and the history of all their victims opens up). But none of your companions show up, simply hearing about someone important doesn't add them to legends, it doesn't say how your adventurer dies, and the person who killed them doesn't appear on legends (Maybe you have to look at their corpse to find out?). I probably should've done some research on it before I suggested it, but I figured it would be better than this. I really wish I wasn't the only one voting on these kinds of things :P

So yeah, I'd recommend regenerating the world with history shown. Sorry about that.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 11:03:45 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

cludgo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: March 01, 2012, 09:52:36 pm »

thank you

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: March 01, 2012, 11:10:25 pm »

ok, im home now.
Bout to make the new thread.
I know it should include the list, the rules, and a link to the download.
But what else should i plan on adding to it before i start it too soon and screw it up?
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: March 01, 2012, 11:14:42 pm »

ok, im home now.
Bout to make the new thread.
I know it should include the list, the rules, and a link to the download.
But what else should i plan on adding to it before i start it too soon and screw it up?

Reserve a second post, I suppose, in case we need more space for whatever comes up. Also, I'm all for having history visible - I think it will make things more interesting for all of us.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: March 01, 2012, 11:32:04 pm »

should i wait till we get the history thing worked out or should i just go ahead and do it?
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: March 01, 2012, 11:41:55 pm »

You can go ahead and get the thing all typed up. It's up to you whether you post it as soon as you're finished, or wait till you've actually started your turn.

Being the reliable bro I am, I volunteer to be the fortress Manager; so I'll be reserving the second post in the thread, and editing with all the turn/fortress information (and whatever else I feel inspired to add in there once we get going).

Edit: It does take a really long time to save though, and considering the default popcap for large regions is only 15,000 while the maximum is 100,000... 1,360,483 is a lot of dudes...
That might also be why the savefile is so huge, lemme try regenning my version of the world with a 100,000 popcap and see if it affects anything important :P
Edit2: Nevermind, it just crashed on me after I finished a 200 year worldgen, and it'll probably happen again :-\
Edit3: Yeah, it did. Twice. I don't know how you do it, Blank.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 12:40:33 am by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: March 02, 2012, 12:17:59 am »

Alright, I regenned it. I actually walked away form my computer instead of chickening out and it genned all the way to 300 years. Plenty of history to go around!

Now featuring 39 towers.

Civilized World Population

291081 Dwarves
   478758 Humans
   486361 Elves
   302291 Goblins
   2995 Kobolds

Total: 1561486

Wow... only an extra 40mb.

Save is uploading now.

Here you go: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5755

At least I'm getting experience as a consoler trying to calm down my processor...
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 12:25:06 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #758 on: March 02, 2012, 12:20:30 am »

Wow. Thanks for genning for us.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: March 02, 2012, 12:27:49 am »

downloading :D

Edit: How did you find the population info? that legends program?

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: March 02, 2012, 12:31:06 am »

Dude, more people means even slower saving. I just checked with the first version, and it takes well over a minute (sometimes three) to save, which could be a total nuisance for those of us who prefer to save often in adventure/dwarf mode. It's like the talking to people issue in ProtoXI but not quite as annoying, I could probably live with it :-\ (edit: actually, it's not so bad once you get used to it)

Dang, now that the world has advanced 80 years, The Remarkable Axes probably don't have that Queen Drunk and Surgeon General anymore. Speaking of the "Axes", I change my dwarfciv vote to them.  In addition to their badass names, they're the central and largest dwarfciv, they also have the best pantheon (including a tree frog god of muck called Suton the Simple Belch).

Good grief, I talk way too much in this thread.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 01:21:40 am by Spish »

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: March 02, 2012, 01:46:12 am »

Interesting thing i noticed. i think its a new thing toady1 added this version. None of the civs (including your home one) will trade with you if you embark in untamed wilds. i'm gonna test if i get past two migrant waves. goblins don't show the yellow "no trade" icon. Embarking on terrifying rocky wasteland for this test.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: March 02, 2012, 01:57:59 am »

^ I've noticed this too. But it only seems to be in the ridiculously hot and dry areas of the northwest and northeast.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: March 02, 2012, 02:54:32 am »

Humiliatingly, I only set the minimum volcanoes to 15, so there aren't exactly many to go around. Eh, should be plenty of fun to be had either way.

I've regenerated the world with more volcanoes, but it drastically changed the landscape.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 12:12:43 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: March 03, 2012, 01:59:26 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 54