Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 54

Author Topic: Got a neeto idea (want in?)  (Read 64107 times)

Vodrilus

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been forced to endure NaNoWriMo failure.
    • View Profile
Re: Got a neeto idea (want in?)
« Reply #645 on: February 14, 2012, 01:32:37 pm »

So are we good to go? Let's get this new world genned and ready. I can't wait.
are we diving RIGHT in?
I was thinking we'd wait till the first couple bug fix updates came out.
thoughts?
I'd rather not. I have a vague recollection of some bugs affecting the saves so, that simply upgrading the raws and the actual game would not fix the issues. I can't however, come up with concrete examples. Anyone? ???
Going backwards in reversed time (just like everybody else).

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: February 14, 2012, 01:56:34 pm »

Given the blatant difficulty of generating a medium sized world longer than 200 years, I'd say go with 150-200 years on the prototype. As many as you can get without it crashing, so we can see if its worth it to give it that much time.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Kassil

• Bay Watcher
  • Zenarchist
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: February 14, 2012, 04:43:53 pm »

Honestly, waiting a week for the bugfix versions might not be a bad idea - at the very least, it might give a chance for some near-essential tools like Dwarf Therapist to catch up.
Wheelbarrows with wheels are inferior to the true wheelbarrow.
you mean elves with loads of stone loaded onto their backs while walking on their hands with dwarves holding their legs to guide them?

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: February 14, 2012, 04:50:08 pm »

I'm for waiting. There very well may be some game-breaking bugs, which will come up in the next week if they exist. Also, it gives us a chance to play and enjoy the new version for a few days, as well as giving various utilities time to be updated.

This project's length is being measured in years. What is a week or two of waiting?
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: February 14, 2012, 06:38:20 pm »

A week or two more than we've already waited!

But alas; you'll just have to wait. Because it's going to take a few days to rearrange the desired modifications into the new raws, set up the worldgen file, and successfully generate a decent history. I also have college homework to attend to for the week.
The game itself going to be slow no matter what we do with all the new features that haven't been optimized. Even for my computer adventuring in human cities' markets slows it to a literal crawl.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Pranz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: February 14, 2012, 07:53:05 pm »

The new version has crashed 3 times for me already, the only thing that kept me from playing :P
I say we wait.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 08:00:53 am by Pranz »
DF Valentine
I punched a hamsterwoman in the mouth and her teeth exploded out of his head like gory shrapnel and littered the ground. Happy Valentines Day.

Armeleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: February 14, 2012, 09:11:29 pm »

Ok, I take it back. Waiting would be good. I would love to start, but I don't want to start playing in a world full of bugs.
Playing since 2007

Feb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: February 15, 2012, 05:18:59 pm »

Bugs, the one thing magma can't solve :<

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: February 15, 2012, 09:23:01 pm »

Waiting is good.  No reason to hobble a years-long project by jumping the gun too soon, particularly if Toady stays true to his rapid-fire bugfix release schedule.

On that note, anyone interested in running through another 2 day turn test world?  I think I have time to get a fortress going, or at least skip enough sleep to get it done.  Might be good to identify DFVD-specific issues.
At last, she is done.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: February 15, 2012, 09:48:29 pm »

I agree. But if we do that, we should let Blank generate the pocket world using the PW map and our advanced parameters (make sure the good/evil areas are scaled accordingly). That's what we should've done last time, anyway. Also include the display case/pedestal mod and playable gobbos/elves/humans/kobolds while you're at it.

Beasts seem to get slaughtered in this version, especially megas and semimegas. I'd say increase the number of them by about 8 times. Might as well do the same for Night Trolls and Demons. Have it stop at 50% beasts, just in case.

And ramp the werebeast/vampire curses, secrets, and evil weather way up, so we can have lotsa fun with those :D

If you want, you could turn 'Bogeyman Types' off completely in the test world to make exploration more convenient for our subjects. I have no problem with boosting them, personally. I think all that does is increase the variety when you get ambushed by them (every bogeyman is unique).
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 10:34:24 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: February 15, 2012, 09:54:09 pm »

I'm a bit late here, obviously, but I think this is an awesome idea - count me in.  :)
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: February 15, 2012, 10:09:03 pm »

Beasts seem to get slaughtered in this version, especially megas and semimegas. I'd say increase the number of them by about 8 times. Might as well do the same for Night Trolls and Demons. And ramp the werebeast/vampire curses, secrets, and evil weather way up, so we can have lotsa fun with those :D

We should certainly carefully consider changing the worldgen parameters of the project - however, it is quite possible that Toady will address these issues in upcoming bug releases. Once we decide to begin (at a point, ideally, where there is a general consensus that the current release is "stable" enough), these issues can be properly addressed.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #657 on: February 15, 2012, 10:22:42 pm »

I think we should run another test world, to try out the mods.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: February 15, 2012, 10:23:03 pm »

We should certainly carefully consider changing the worldgen parameters of the project - however, it is quite possible that Toady will address these issues in upcoming bug releases. Once we decide to begin (at a point, ideally, where there is a general consensus that the current release is "stable" enough), these issues can be properly addressed.
I was referring to the mini succession world. We can afford to be liberal with that one, methinks.

Make sure the pocket world isn't too deep this time. Having to cut 100 z-levels into the ground just to get water for my dwarves was plain ridiculous, and I had to abandon my plan to pump up water for indoor plumbing and irrigation with only two days to get things done. Make caves visible too.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 10:34:39 pm by Spish »

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: February 15, 2012, 10:43:53 pm »

I was referring to the mini succession world. We can afford to be liberal with that one, methinks.

Oh! Oh sure, of course.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 54