Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 54

Author Topic: Got a neeto idea (want in?)  (Read 64124 times)

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Got a neeto idea (want in?)
« Reply #120 on: January 09, 2012, 05:30:52 am »

- For Spish: I can rearrange temperature variation in the world gen file for it, so we can have 80 to 90 degree tropics and a 0 to -15 degree arctic (glaciers are fun!)
That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking ;D More tundra and glacier would be cool as well.

Seconded. I'm particularly partial to freezing mountain ranges, if that is possible. I will certainly want to do some terrifying freezing arctic mountain stuff next release. Terrifying now makes me sad, with weak little slow moving zombies being eradicated by armless cheese-makers. Terrifying in the future looks like it will make me VERY happy, though.  ;)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #121 on: January 09, 2012, 05:33:43 am »

- For Spish: I can rearrange temperature variation in the world gen file for it, so we can have 80 to 90 degree tropics and a 0 to -15 degree arctic (glaciers are fun!)
That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking ;D More tundra and glacier would be cool as well.

Seconded. I'm particularly partial to freezing mountain ranges, if that is possible. I will certainly want to do some terrifying freezing arctic mountain stuff next release. Terrifying now makes me sad, with weak little slow moving zombies being eradicated by armless cheese-makers. Terrifying in the future looks like it will make me VERY happy, though.  ;)

From experience, you won't want too many beyond standard mountains, otherwise the world gen won't be able to place Dwarven civs and... All that world gen time wasted :d
They have to be placed on a non savage, non aligned mountain.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 09, 2012, 05:44:25 am »

From experience, you won't want too many beyond standard mountains, otherwise the world gen won't be able to place Dwarven civs and... All that world gen time wasted :d
They have to be placed on a non savage, non aligned mountain.
Which Is why one always gives the world many, many separate mountain ranges in all sorts of biomes. Just increase the noise weight, as well as the maximum allowable regions.  ;)

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 09, 2012, 07:10:25 am »

I didn't read much past second page, had it begun yet?
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #124 on: January 09, 2012, 07:14:07 am »

I didn't read much past second page, had it begun yet?

Not yet, but now we're onto deciding what the advanced gen parameters will be

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 09, 2012, 07:30:30 am »

Feel free to sign me up for this. Just pm  me when its my turn.

Kassil

• Bay Watcher
  • Zenarchist
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 09, 2012, 10:42:11 am »

Mineral Scarcity Vote: 3
Cliff-and-river and/or volcano are my preference for location. :D
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 05:53:14 pm by Kassil »
Wheelbarrows with wheels are inferior to the true wheelbarrow.
you mean elves with loads of stone loaded onto their backs while walking on their hands with dwarves holding their legs to guide them?

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 09, 2012, 10:47:11 am »

Mineral scarcity poll: 2

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #128 on: January 09, 2012, 12:55:29 pm »

Mineral Scarcity poll: 5

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 09, 2012, 01:38:09 pm »

Mineral scarcity poll: 4
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 09, 2012, 04:58:01 pm »

ok, i hate to say this, but i am no longer in charge of this idea.
its gone WAY past my understanding of things.
who wants to take over?
i nominate girlinhat or DS.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

A Spoony Bard

• Bay Watcher
  • [MANNERISM:lute]
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 09, 2012, 05:09:34 pm »

I'd like to take number 2 as my vote for Mineral scarcity.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 09, 2012, 07:10:08 pm »

Mineral scarcity poll: 1

ok, i hate to say this, but i am no longer in charge of this idea.
its gone WAY past my understanding of things.
who wants to take over?
i nominate girlinhat or DS.
I second you nominee choice. They both have shown the logistical skill, experience, and dedication to put and keep something like this in motion.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 09, 2012, 07:45:04 pm »

Girlinhat would probably do a fine job organizing things. And hopefully not go berserk on us. :P

Mineral Scarcity votes tallied up to this point:

-   1: 1
-   2: 3
-   3: 2
-   4: 1
-   5: 1

Additions/changes to world now pending:
-   Increase number of above-ground z-levels. More head room is a great idea, and in my experience has a truly negligible effect on FPS. 35 sound good? The default is 15.
-   Find freezing mountain ranges for Cellmonk - Already in, since there are mountains in the south and they'll be cold. Anything else?
-   Cliffs and rivers and/or volcano for Kassil - Very likely to occur, but will add some steep hills around the center of the map with high volcanism and drainage.

Additions made by heavy request:
- number of caverns changed to 2.
- eroding extreme cliffs disabled. This will permit impressive river canyons with sheer cliffs, which seem very popular.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 07:53:54 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 09, 2012, 09:07:56 pm »

I'd be willing to manage the community thread, as well as maintain a catalog of the various forts, available as a sort of "adventurer's guide." It seems like there are many people who have already showed leadership and initiative in this thread, any of whom would, I'm sure, keep things well organized. Personally, I have no experience with community games, although that would not be a huge issue, I think.

Ultimately, it makes no real difference to me who runs the thread, so long as this remains a truly communal effort. Whoever does run the thread should be willing to stick with it, as this is shaping up to be a monumental project that will take, at the very least, months.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 54