Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 54

Author Topic: Got a neeto idea (want in?)  (Read 64058 times)

DwarvenScience

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Surgeon, Legendary Consoler
    • View Profile
Re: Got a neeto idea (want in?)
« Reply #90 on: January 07, 2012, 09:55:55 pm »

Anyone up for maybe trying this on a pocket world while we wait for the new version to come out?

Might give us an idea of how well this will work.

would only get through 2-3 embarks though eh, hopefully with the new update coming out soon. Could try it with briefer times (eg 2/3 days) to run through more embarks i suppose. Might be an idea for the people who want to be in charge of organising the eventual project itself to be involved if people were keen on a quick a trial.
Give a dwarf a fire and he is warm for the night
Light a dwarf on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 07, 2012, 10:10:28 pm »

Doing a road network would be impossible, as you can only build within 5 tiles of edge, and if you used Embark Anywhere to get it done you'd have a HUGE mess of a map, covered in mountainhomes that don't do anything except make fast travel impossible.

While a neat idea, it's just not doable...

It is quite doable, so long as the DFHack method works. It would be simple enough to test. Digging tunnels (which make more sense than roads for dwarves, in any case) to connect fortresses would have to be done in the same way, since you can't dig out the very edge of map.

Linking fortresses in ways that make things easier for an adventurer is what I'm describing. I'm not saying that long tunnels should link every fortress in a network, but if multiple forts have been dug out into a small area, it would make sense for them to be connected.

It could even be used to link fortresses that would not normally be accessible because they are in the high mountains, or on an island, or hidden deep underground. So long as it's not the norm, it would be another kind of interesting variety.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 07, 2012, 11:58:21 pm »

Connected forts would be great.  Not all forts with roads have to be mountainhomes, right?   We could just have a few that are waypost forts, basically nothing there but a place to sleep.  Using some long embarks we could probably do it without clutter the map too much.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 08, 2012, 12:49:20 am »

I guess underground roads are all right as long as they are kept under the mountains, so that they don't block fast-travel in open areas. Also, you can build roads on the edge of the map, Girlinhat. Either way, I think most players are smart enough to look beyond the broken path.

Something I just thought of. What if you were to make an evil goblin adventurer, have him learn the secrets of necromancy, and retire him in an abandoned/goblinized fortress using DFHack. Would he instinctively start commanding all dwarf bodies to rise? I guess this depends on whether or not necromancer behavior is determined by their profession.

Better yet, would he be able to raise demons and forgotten beasts? :o
Oh, the speculation...
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #94 on: January 08, 2012, 01:14:12 am »

Doing a road network would be impossible, as you can only build within 5 tiles of edge, and if you used Embark Anywhere to get it done you'd have a HUGE mess of a map, covered in mountainhomes that don't do anything except make fast travel impossible.

While a neat idea, it's just not doable...

You can build floors and roads ON the map edge. Also underground, you can even build walls on the edge. So, it's very doable :P

Besides, it could even just be one broken road that directs you to the way to the surface, so you don't get stuck underground.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 08, 2012, 01:25:54 am »

Well, in any case how about we do the roadbuilding after, so we'll have a normal and road-cluttered version.

FYI: You can't have an underground road like that.  The only way to build something is to make it a site, and if it's a site it covers the surface as well, so fast travel will be disabled even if you build an underground road.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #96 on: January 08, 2012, 01:30:17 am »

Well, in any case how about we do the roadbuilding after, so we'll have a normal and road-cluttered version.

FYI: You can't have an underground road like that.  The only way to build something is to make it a site, and if it's a site it covers the surface as well, so fast travel will be disabled even if you build an underground road.

I'm talking about paved roads. In fortress mode -_-

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 08, 2012, 01:34:14 am »

I guess underground roads are all right as long as they are kept under the mountains, so that they don't block fast-travel in open areas.
I was referring to this, though it seems I didn't read it closely enough.  You'll still get a messy map as it's marked with mountainhome rectangles, but eh.  Also the roads may need to be adjusted for proximity.  A 2-wide road (standard fortress minimum size) leading to a 2x2 fort would look continuous.  Nanofort would allow for a 1-wide road though.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 08, 2012, 06:08:29 am »

Toady said middle-end of the month, so it should be very soon.  If it's not, then we could go ahead.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

About bins and item scatter - we definitely don't want freebie bins.  But could we mod in bins made from rock?  If dwarfs can make and carry rock pots and rock chests and rock cabinets they ought to be able to make rock bins. I mean, bins = chests. They're the same thing.

Seems like a pointless mod to me.  NO sense overmodding. 

Making things out of rock makes them close to free also.  A little too close IMO.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 08, 2012, 06:10:24 am »

World size is going to be large, we know this already.

A VOTE!  Mineral scarcity: Many resources, or Few resources?

Many: We get to play around with all our stuff and focus more on building.
Few: We get tougher fights and perhaps more flavored forts as they experience more hardship.

I vote for a setting along the lines of abundant,  in the basic world generator.  I don't play with the advanced world gen often enough to know the exact number, but in that range is my vote.

Also, I am in favor of the scarcity number being high enough that flux is reasonably common.

Are we allowed to reclaim another player's fort?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 06:17:36 am by Babylon »

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 08, 2012, 06:12:20 am »

The midrange would be good for minerals. Not too much, not too little.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 08, 2012, 06:20:05 am »

I would vote to make minerals relatively abundant. 500-1000 is a fine range.

Also, if we're doing a large world, then I suppose we can up the minimum volcanoes to 200 and simply make the volcanism x and y variance both 3200. That will provide volcanoes all over the place, but still permit sedimentary layers in nearby areas.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 06:35:37 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #102 on: January 08, 2012, 09:32:24 am »

If the range is 500-1000, I'm going for 1000. Personally, I'd have the settings down to default 2500-5000

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 08, 2012, 11:38:00 pm »

Toady said middle-end of the month, so it should be very soon.  If it's not, then we could go ahead.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

About bins and item scatter - we definitely don't want freebie bins.  But could we mod in bins made from rock?  If dwarfs can make and carry rock pots and rock chests and rock cabinets they ought to be able to make rock bins. I mean, bins = chests. They're the same thing.

Seems like a pointless mod to me.  NO sense overmodding. 

Making things out of rock makes them close to free also.  A little too close IMO.

It's the inconsistency that bothers me about this more than anything.  If dwarfs can make rock boxes and put their own stuff in them, why can't they make rock boxes and put other people's/not-claimed stuff in them? :)   Just my personal flavor of OCD rising to the surface.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #104 on: January 08, 2012, 11:42:31 pm »

For the sake of making sure that Dwarven industry doesn't turn into an entirely rock based super power :\
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 54