Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 553 554 [555] 556 557 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 959109 times)

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #8310 on: September 17, 2014, 12:21:11 pm »

Ah Long War, you and your silly spawns. Just had the outsiders in a ufo crash spawn on the roof of a (medium) UFO. I had to lug a battle scanner up there and use a sniper to get them to activate.

Graagh and they still won't come down!

*edit*
How do you get mechs in Long War?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 12:47:33 pm by Sindain »
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8311 on: September 18, 2014, 01:19:32 am »

Xenobiology -> Xenogenetics -> Alien Biocybernetics
+
Alien Materials -> Alien Biocybernetics
+
Alien Computers -> Alien Biocybernetics

That's it for research, IIRC. Also gotta build the cyber lab.

Here's a handy zoomable tech tree.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8312 on: September 18, 2014, 02:58:34 am »

There's a Second Wave setting for long war where retreats always lose items from dead soldiers, but I think complete wipes would make sense for you to lose all your stuff.

I think it would make sense in OldCom, but not in NewCom. Particularly not in Long War.

Items take so long to produce and so much money it is more reasonable to think that when you produce "1 laser rifle" really you are producing enough to equip one unit in a squad. Much like the US military will buy enough M203 grenade launches to give to 1 person in each squad. Even though you have 50,000,000 of them, each squad still only gets one.

Anyways... do the rest of you never wipe in LW or have you just not paid attention to your equipment afterwards?

Is there any way to cheat myself that equipment back?

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8313 on: September 18, 2014, 05:45:04 am »

Hehe, I'm playing Long War with the hidden potential effect and I have found the worst squad member ever, seriously, low accuracy (64), 1 Defense, about 3 base health, the only good thing about her is her speed, which has a base of 13.
And as such, I have christened her 'Cannon Fodder'.
I'm so immature.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8314 on: September 18, 2014, 06:14:59 am »

Xenobiology -> Xenogenetics -> Alien Biocybernetics
+
Alien Materials -> Alien Biocybernetics
+
Alien Computers -> Alien Biocybernetics

That's it for research, IIRC. Also gotta build the cyber lab.

Here's a handy zoomable tech tree.

Ah, Alien computers. Still haven't bother to pick that up, guess I will after I finish advanced body armor.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8315 on: September 18, 2014, 09:24:52 am »

There's a Second Wave setting for long war where retreats always lose items from dead soldiers, but I think complete wipes would make sense for you to lose all your stuff.

I think it would make sense in OldCom, but not in NewCom. Particularly not in Long War.

Items take so long to produce and so much money it is more reasonable to think that when you produce "1 laser rifle" really you are producing enough to equip one unit in a squad. Much like the US military will buy enough M203 grenade launches to give to 1 person in each squad. Even though you have 50,000,000 of them, each squad still only gets one.

Anyways... do the rest of you never wipe in LW or have you just not paid attention to your equipment afterwards?

Is there any way to cheat myself that equipment back?
I don't know.  I think that you could just reload from before the wipe, though; I think that by default, it's a percent chance that you fail to salvage anything you lost in the mission if the mission ends with a Code Black or evacuation.  You just got unlucky on the coin flip. 

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8316 on: September 18, 2014, 04:10:51 pm »

I can't reload is the thing, I am playing on Ironman. Weapons are way too expensive and take way too long to produce to have them lost because your team was over run in 6 seconds.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8317 on: September 18, 2014, 04:30:47 pm »

Hm, what sort of costs are you looking at? One of the nice things about Long War is that you actually often have pretty substantial cash reserves, for several reasons. Among other things, you have a lot more UFOs and missions, which means more mission rewards + the bounty for trashing UFOs entirely, which is something like $100 per for the scouts alone, not to mention all the extra corpses to sell.

Incidentally, if anyone was unaware, in LW you need intact alien weapons to make your own plasma weapons, which means you need to get into the habit of stunning aliens.

Generally I avoid wipes. Even with how punishing it becomes, you can usually avert a wipe with sufficient care. Granted, you'll often lose people/take severe injuries from sheer bad luck, but that's just part of what X-Com is. Take those back-to-back terror missions I got. Something like a total of 50 enemies between them, and I only had four minor injuries (<1 week) and one 36 day injury because I was really, really careful.

Of course the game can always decide to drop a Giant Sectopod, five Cyberdiscs, and assorted other things on you all at once, in which case lol.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8318 on: September 18, 2014, 04:32:46 pm »

Well, I'm not play LW. Ever.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8319 on: September 18, 2014, 04:35:41 pm »

Looks like a modder saw that one trailer...
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8320 on: September 18, 2014, 05:27:44 pm »

Enter, the giant SHIV
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8321 on: September 18, 2014, 06:06:25 pm »

No... we can't let them become too powerful.

Edit: Oh god, a sequel where the SHIVs rebel and the entire game is trying to fight them off.

Shen: What have we done
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8322 on: October 03, 2014, 06:36:49 am »

So, I got my hands on Enemy Within and am wondering whether I should directly jump into LW or should I perhaps play the vanilla game for a bit before.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8323 on: October 03, 2014, 07:32:08 am »

No... we can't let them become too powerful.

Edit: Oh god, a sequel where the SHIVs rebel and the entire game is trying to fight them off.

Shen: What have we done

Oddly enough that is pretty accurate to what happens in the Xcom universe.

There are reasons why I actually found Armagedon to be the more interesting of the Xcoms... Albeit one of the most poorly executed.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8324 on: October 03, 2014, 07:59:43 am »

So, I got my hands on Enemy Within and am wondering whether I should directly jump into LW or should I perhaps play the vanilla game for a bit before.

Personally, I'd go straight into LW, as it makes it a better game overall.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 553 554 [555] 556 557 ... 625