Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 555 556 [557] 558 559 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 959111 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #8340 on: October 16, 2014, 03:27:40 am »

I'm pretty sure the giveaway is sold out, unless you spoof your location to be from a low traffic country.  I read a post from someone who said that he got a copy by using a proxy in Uganda.

that said you can still get the 80% off on EW through that same promotion.  allegedly. I still have not gotten mine yet.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8341 on: October 16, 2014, 04:58:00 am »

Oh I got it 12 hours ago and it was fine. Perhaps I'm from a low traffic country :P

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8342 on: October 16, 2014, 11:00:00 am »

Oh I got it 12 hours ago and it was fine. Perhaps I'm from a low traffic country :P

Well, maybe just a location that does not have many golden joystick voters or green-man-gaming users.

If anyone using this promotion has problems with getting the 80% off on the DLC, I have some instructions based on my experience here:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=79743.msg5737334#msg5737334

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8343 on: October 20, 2014, 04:54:13 pm »

Wow, this thing is addicting. 

Been playing LW on noob difficulty with cinematic mode and savescum turned on because I suck like that.  Cost me most of my sleep for the weekend.

Maybe it is the slow progression, but I can't help feeling like I am losing the strategic game despite my savescumming and money cheating.

I made the early mistake of tasking my first two satellites to the highest funding countries rather than places that were requesting them.  I think this has had two major effects:

First, it stopped me from getting 2x2=4 engineers as rewards, which means it is almost an extra month before I have enough engineers to build my next uplink facility.

Second, it means I am not actually observing the countries with the highest UFO activity.  This means I'm not catching as many UFO's flying by, and not spotting any medium or large ones on the ground.  I think this is true anyway, I might just be imagining it.

Another minor mistake is that having cheated some money's, I hesitate less to throw interceptors at small UFOs.  This means I didn't salvage as many in-tact UFOs as maybe I could have, because I've been shooting them down.  This in turn means fewer eleriums and computer parts and power cores and such.

Should I start over?  I understand the strategic game cascades away from you as you start to fall behind, and I'm wondering if it is already too late.  I think I'm at the start of May or something like this, and just got my first lab up.  Also just had my first terror mission, and saved something like 6 of 18 civilians.  Is that good?  They said it was poor, but from other LW players it sounds like this is pretty good.

Maybe I can catch up on earlier mistakes by rushing to Plasma and skipping Laser and Gauss?  I just got my first Lab online.  Is early May too late to be doing that?

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8344 on: October 20, 2014, 05:00:38 pm »

I haven't gotten that far in LA but I do not think you are too far behind. Unless the ufos you shot down were flying nape of earth there is almost no chance they would have landed anyways.

Everything I have read and seen suggests rushing plasma is not a good strategy. Lasers are good because they give an accuracy bonus.

I am going to tell you to tough it out even though I always restart at the first major set back.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8345 on: October 20, 2014, 05:13:02 pm »

This game bugs me. Normal difficulty is pretty easy and I do well in it, but Classic always kicks my ass to the point where I'm demoralized enough to start over. I've lost several Classic games because shots go wide, and I never deal enough damage when I need to, while the aliens have just the opposite level of effectiveness.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8346 on: October 20, 2014, 05:14:10 pm »

Classic has a difficulty bump when thin men are introduced, but aside from that, it was pretty smooth sailing for the most part.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8347 on: October 20, 2014, 05:17:05 pm »

Yeah, that's about when I get demoralized  :-[

I think I made it to the Mutons once on Classic difficulty, but by that point I had something like 2 squad members left and no more funds to recruit more.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8348 on: October 20, 2014, 05:25:37 pm »

I am going to tell you to tough it out even though I always restart at the first major set back.

Haha.  Seems legit, as this is my typical experience and typical behavior as well.

I've heard that lasers are good for accuracy, but unlike Original they are not unlimited ammo and you cant base your departmental funding on arms dealing by manufacturing them and supplying them to the Grey Market.  Or can you?

My reasons for skipping them are that 1 - I'm playing on Cinematic like a b****, and my soldiers typically start between 70-90 accuracy in the first place.  and 2 - I'm save scumming like a b****, and my veterans tend to survive things that they might not have otherwise survived.

How do I increase my chances of spotting a Supply Barge on the ground?  Will it help if I throw my next satellite up over the defected country?  Will they have lots of UFO ground traffic that I can farm? 

I would feel lots better if I could hand the AI a costly setback and hinder their development, while simultaneously boosting my own resources.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8349 on: October 20, 2014, 05:37:43 pm »

Well, the only unlimited ammo in XCOM: EU are pistols. In Long War, no weapons have infinite ammo. Lasers in long war do increase accuracy, and that helps a lot. Especially with rocketeers.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8350 on: October 20, 2014, 05:53:37 pm »

Well, the only unlimited ammo in XCOM: EU are pistols. In Long War, no weapons have infinite ammo. Lasers in long war do increase accuracy, and that helps a lot. Especially with rocketeers.

Wait, what now?  I'm pretty sure that that laser sights and scopes increase the accuracy of your primary weapon only.  Are you meaning to tell me that high tech sights wont help my rocket accuracy, but the simple act of carrying a laser rifle with me WILL help it?  if I have both a laser rifle and a laser pistol, will I get double the accuracy bonus (or actually I think the rocket might take the pistol slot but STILL).

I'm scrutinizing the tech tree, and it is looking like Gauss is a necessary step for a couple of advanced techs like EMP and Airborn Fusion and Blaster Launchers.  Under further scrutiny, it looks like those same EMP weapons also require beam weapons, so I guess I have to pick it all up eventually.  So no sense in suffering without lasers now, just to have to waste research time on them later.  Except that it would get me plasma faster, but maybe that isnt such a big factor if it does not cut down on my total long term research spend.

*IS* there anything I can skip to cut down my total long term research times?  It does not look like it from the looks of the tech tree.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8351 on: October 20, 2014, 06:01:06 pm »

For long war?
Not so far, I don't think, though under the 'second wave' option menu, there's the term for a 'not-so-long-war' option, I haven't picked it yet myself cause I fear for proper balance, but there you go.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8352 on: October 20, 2014, 06:05:57 pm »

No, I don't want to shorten the game -- just find ways to catch up from a sub-optimal start.  Maybe doubling down on live captures and research credits will help.

How about farming barges?  Will putting a bird over the defected country catch more of them?  I have not seen one yet.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8353 on: October 20, 2014, 06:16:15 pm »

Wait, what now?  I'm pretty sure that that laser sights and scopes increase the accuracy of your primary weapon only.  Are you meaning to tell me that high tech sights wont help my rocket accuracy, but the simple act of carrying a laser rifle with me WILL help it?

Yup.

Beam Lasers

Early beam lasers form the second tier of weapons, and all carry a small inherent accuracy bonus, which can make them good 'training' weapons for inexperienced troopers or as aiming aid for rocketeers in their aiming of explosives (much like you might otherwise issue them regular carbines). They also have a little more firepower than Ballistic weapons, but it still won't be enough in the long run. Although skipping laser weaponry in vanilla is a viable and at times easy-to-pull-off gambit, in long war expense of gauss weapons combined with the tighter economy makes this less appealing, and the aim bonus beam lasers confer makes them arguably better early game than gauss anyway. Beam Lasers use the same visuals as EXALT laser weapons in vanilla.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8354 on: October 20, 2014, 06:22:30 pm »

I can give them carbines to improve their rocket aim?  the f*** what?  Can I have them stuff cucumbers in their pants to improve their confidence and will?
Pages: 1 ... 555 556 [557] 558 559 ... 625