Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 539 540 [541] 542 543 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958790 times)

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #8100 on: June 10, 2014, 04:37:38 pm »

I think that more has to do with the technicalities of the game engine. While everything takes place in a X,Y grid system with some Z movement, this is all imposed over the game engine, which is an environment with free form movement. The Muton is in that specific (X,Y,Z), but the original Muton is also in that coordinate. The free form aspect of the engine, which I think handles the ingame mini-cutscenes/animations, deposits the new Muton ontop of the solid Model of the original. So while it is where it should be according to the free-form aspect of the engine, it is not where it should be according to the grid system, which causes problems.

At least, that's how I think it works. I could be entirely wrong about this.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8101 on: June 10, 2014, 04:40:40 pm »

My guess would be that everywhere in the code except that one place they prevent units from moving onto occupied tiles.  But they don't have a check for finding out if it has happened and undoing it.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8102 on: June 11, 2014, 04:44:37 am »

It can also happen if they airdrop onto your people - I've had something similar happen in Deluge.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #8103 on: June 11, 2014, 12:14:36 pm »

Tried playing some XCOM after a hiatus. Start a new game on Classic Iroman with second wave "Not Always Equal" "Hidden Potential" and "Marathon" on.

During the first mission an unbuffed sectoid one shot crits one of my soldiers who was behind full cover. Upon finishing the mission that soldier turns out to have been my starting heavy. Classic XCOM.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8104 on: June 21, 2014, 09:42:57 pm »

I just got the game yesterday during the sale for 16 bucks (US). I just had it crash on me after Null commented that I was doing better than him at the same difficulty. I found out X-com hates it when you are doing well and wants to fuck you over like there is no tomorrow....
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8105 on: June 21, 2014, 09:46:59 pm »

Can't recall it crashing on me. Then there's the overzealous autosave function that seems to be saving constantly. Can't imagine there'd be too much progress lost if you have it on.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8106 on: June 21, 2014, 11:58:19 pm »

Can't recall it crashing on me. Then there's the overzealous autosave function that seems to be saving constantly. Can't imagine there'd be too much progress lost if you have it on.
I don't remember the game ever autosaving when ironman is off. I have lost a few hours of play due to me not saving and then the comp turning off.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8107 on: June 22, 2014, 12:18:22 am »

You have to enable it.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8108 on: June 22, 2014, 02:47:41 am »

Maybe XCOM doesn't like my new graphics drivers (nvidia), but it's crashing at least once per run for me :/
I'm not playing Ironman atm so it's not a big loss, but the crashes are getting quite irritating.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8109 on: June 22, 2014, 12:01:33 pm »

Got EW and the DLCs recently, so I'm going to be starting over again.
Last time I got a bit past the alien base where you get the commander, and was all on normal settings. Any suggestions for what I should do this time?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8110 on: June 22, 2014, 02:38:56 pm »

I'd play on classic, but not ironman. Turn on not created equal.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #8111 on: June 22, 2014, 02:43:48 pm »

Hidden Potential too if you're going for Not Created Equal.  Not entirely sure why they're separate options.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8112 on: June 22, 2014, 03:50:21 pm »

Because if you leave off not created equal you can get a situation where all rookies appear identical but then go in different directions.

Gets even more extreme with training roulette.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8113 on: June 22, 2014, 05:14:41 pm »

Fuck all that.

Impossible iron man.

Get An Army of Four achievement.

Bask in manliness.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8114 on: June 22, 2014, 05:18:29 pm »

Fuck all that.

Impossible iron man.

Get An Army of Four achievement.

Bask in manliness.
Army of Four?  Go Lone Wolf. 
Pages: 1 ... 539 540 [541] 542 543 ... 625