Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 537 538 [539] 540 541 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958743 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #8070 on: May 08, 2014, 07:56:06 am »

So looks like there's an Android version of XCOM EU out. I almost clicked the buy button immediately, but just wondering if anyone's bought it yet and what is it like?
Android? Like on a phone?

I'd like to see the phone that can run this game.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8071 on: May 08, 2014, 08:21:15 am »

So looks like there's an Android version of XCOM EU out. I almost clicked the buy button immediately, but just wondering if anyone's bought it yet and what is it like?

Tablets.

Oh, and also, thanks for the tips above, guys, I forgot to say it before. Still trying hard at not failing the Panic game, though.
Love, scriver~

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8072 on: May 08, 2014, 10:04:03 am »

It's been released for the iOS quite some time ago, so presumably any iPhone equivalent will do. If it's the same thing as the iOS version, the graphics are turned way down and there are far fewer mission areas and customization options. I think it mostly runs by virtue of being a cut-down version. A demake, if you will.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8073 on: May 08, 2014, 10:53:24 am »

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tt2kgames.xcomeu

Yeah one of the things I'm worried about. Size is 3.6 GB.

But the graphics have been cut down. The specs for some of the newer phones like Galaxy S4 are pretty high end. The reviews so far seem extremely high, so if there were major performance issues, it'd be noticeable. Then again, a lot of Play Store reviews are completely retarded, so I don't put much trust in that.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8074 on: May 08, 2014, 11:15:00 am »

If I split the cost with someone, can you send me the .apk? I have a Kindle, which runs Andriod, but Amazon blocks the Google Play store.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8075 on: May 08, 2014, 11:59:42 am »

If I split the cost with someone, can you send me the .apk? I have a Kindle, which runs Andriod, but Amazon blocks the Google Play store.
I'm assuming you mean the Kindle Fire? I'm afraid it might be a tad underspecced, depending on which generation it is.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8076 on: May 08, 2014, 12:14:20 pm »

I'm assuming you mean the Kindle Fire? I'm afraid it might be a tad underspecced, depending on which generation it is.
Yeah, I have the same fear, but I want to try.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #8077 on: May 28, 2014, 09:02:40 am »

Sorry to necro, but I recently got XCOM: Enemy Within and am having a really hard time surviving on Classic.

I feel like it's very variable. If you do well in the first few missions and manage to keep people alive until you get some decent armour and weapons, the game is relatively easy. If you don't, it's just a downhill struggle.

I've only had downhill struggles so far. I remember having ONE good run in XCOM:EU Classic, but so far I'm not having any luck in XCOM:EW. I'd like to get relatively far into the campaign before going into the Long War mod.

I've tried keeping people on Overwatch, or just ignoring Overwatch and using Hunker Down all the time, trying to stay within High Cover as much as possible. The end result, with either option, is me missing an 80% shot and a Thin Man just sniping the from a mile away and instantly murdering the guy.

Not to mention when I only get 2 damage on a 3 health Sectoid, and 3 damage on a 4 health Thin Man.

I am using the New Economy and Something Angles options. I'm thinking of not choosing the Angles options so I can properly flank and not be partially flanked?

It's getting boring playing the first few missions to, almost literally, death. Any help?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8078 on: May 28, 2014, 09:08:00 am »

I do feel that's a problem early on. When you have no improved weapons or armour, and the thin men can one-hit kill your soldiers every turn and send the rest panicking into uselessness. Once you get lasers and skeleton suits, it's a breeze from then on.

The only solution you can really do is savescum until you've passed the first few missions. You could also make a soldier into one of the easter egg soldiers via their name to pull you through those first few missions and then not use him again until later.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8079 on: May 28, 2014, 09:20:53 am »

I used to mod out the stat bonuses the aliens got in Classic, but I've been playing it vanilla and yes, it does suck sometimes. RNGod does not like me sometimes.

I once had a support who survived the very second mission (I had tutorial on) and had kicked much ass as a rookie. Henceforth I nicknamed him "DogeTrooper" and the rest of the campaign was focused on keeping Doge alive and using him on every mission.

He lived and kicked ass for many, many splashed UFOs and terror missions. I awarded him medals and it looked like he was going to make the endgame. Then tragedy struck.
During a regular splashed UFO mission, a large one, he and his squad of laser rookies began sweeping the wreckage. Things went well at first, then it happened. A single elite muton was waiting, whom I've nicknamed "Muton Shields". The rookies spread out and took down the regulars, taking some hits but surviving. Muton Shields broke off of the fight, retreated some distance, just to the edge of view distance. And then he fired a single burst.

Some how, from full view distance away, in low cover, a z-lvl below, he hit and crited Doge, whom was in full cover. Doge had taken some scratch damage and the 180-noscope crit downed him. I had the laser rookies throw nades at Muton Shields until he was nothing but a smoking crater.

DogeTrooper was declared KIA, and was posthumously rewarded the Shibe medal of Honor. His sacrifice allowed his squad to live. He is survived by his wife, Wow, and only son, Doge jr.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8080 on: May 28, 2014, 04:07:39 pm »

Somethign I dislike in X-Com is that you always find aliens in homogeneous groups. It rather defeats the octopuses when yo ucan put everyone on overwatch and camp out for a turn or two until they show up and get blasted. If they showed up with a mechtoid or as support for some mutons then they might be a threat. Otherwise, they're a disappointment.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #8081 on: May 28, 2014, 04:12:31 pm »

LOOOOL

You make an actual tragedy sound funny :D

I almost, almost made it this one run. I had been losing and replacing soldiers every single mission, but finally got one MEC, and that helped 'cause he ended up absorbing a fair amount of punishment without dying.

It's just that as soon as Thin Men appear, I'm having difficulty surviving ANY mission, so it's just kinda frustrating.

It would be better if the game was faster, but ToolBoks, which makes things move faster, does not like the latest version?

And those octopuses damage my soldiers enough that another hit kills them.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8082 on: May 28, 2014, 04:15:24 pm »

Somethign I dislike in X-Com is that you always find aliens in homogeneous groups. It rather defeats the octopuses when yo ucan put everyone on overwatch and camp out for a turn or two until they show up and get blasted. If they showed up with a mechtoid or as support for some mutons then they might be a threat. Otherwise, they're a disappointment.

Yeah, normally the only real threat they pose is to you getting to Meld in time. But when they do show up with other alien types...that sucks. Nothing quite like having one of your best troopers get strangled just as some Mutons come in to flank you.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8083 on: May 28, 2014, 04:29:48 pm »

Sorry to necro, but I recently got XCOM: Enemy Within and am having a really hard time surviving on Classic.

I feel like it's very variable. If you do well in the first few missions and manage to keep people alive until you get some decent armour and weapons, the game is relatively easy. If you don't, it's just a downhill struggle.

I've only had downhill struggles so far. I remember having ONE good run in XCOM:EU Classic, but so far I'm not having any luck in XCOM:EW. I'd like to get relatively far into the campaign before going into the Long War mod.

I've tried keeping people on Overwatch, or just ignoring Overwatch and using Hunker Down all the time, trying to stay within High Cover as much as possible. The end result, with either option, is me missing an 80% shot and a Thin Man just sniping the from a mile away and instantly murdering the guy.

Not to mention when I only get 2 damage on a 3 health Sectoid, and 3 damage on a 4 health Thin Man.

I am using the New Economy and Something Angles options. I'm thinking of not choosing the Angles options so I can properly flank and not be partially flanked?

It's getting boring playing the first few missions to, almost literally, death. Any help?

Aiming angles is stupid, turn it off.  Is my opinion.

Anyway, explosives explosives explosives early on.  In classic you can get guaranteed grenade kills on sectoids provided you can get close to them, which shouldn't be hard with a little creativity.  Fighting thin men early classic on is all about having as many rockets handy as there are thin man groups, so keep your heavies stationary, alive, and with no allies or cover in between them and where you think the aliens will be.

The main good news with thin men is that by the time they appear in classic you should have customized your squad a bit with upgrades and perks, so play to your strengths and you'll be fine.  The exception is when they appear early in the first council mission, which CAN be the height of an unmodded run's difficulty.  Frankly on classic you can afford to lose it, so if your get a bomb mission or portent consider living to fight again.  Hell, if you really hate being stuck in the early game just don't go on the mission.

Also, the rule with thin men: either the thin men are dead, they can't see you, your entire squad is in heavy cover and smoke, OR YOU ARE NOT OK.  And honestly heavy cover and smoke might not be enough unless you'll survive taking a casualty.  Put in your entire squad in concealment or fucking run if you have to.  And for the love of god, don't just sit in cover and take <50% pot shots at them.  The rule of the pre-squadsight game is that you beat the aliens at close range, they beat you at long range.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8084 on: May 28, 2014, 05:32:27 pm »

Aiming angles is stupid, turn it off.  Is my opinion.

Anyway, explosives explosives explosives early on.  In classic you can get guaranteed grenade kills on sectoids provided you can get close to them, which shouldn't be hard with a little creativity.  Fighting thin men early classic on is all about having as many rockets handy as there are thin man groups, so keep your heavies stationary, alive, and with no allies or cover in between them and where you think the aliens will be.

The main good news with thin men is that by the time they appear in classic you should have customized your squad a bit with upgrades and perks, so play to your strengths and you'll be fine.  The exception is when they appear early in the first council mission, which CAN be the height of an unmodded run's difficulty.  Frankly on classic you can afford to lose it, so if your get a bomb mission or portent consider living to fight again.  Hell, if you really hate being stuck in the early game just don't go on the mission.

Also, the rule with thin men: either the thin men are dead, they can't see you, your entire squad is in heavy cover and smoke, OR YOU ARE NOT OK.  And honestly heavy cover and smoke might not be enough unless you'll survive taking a casualty.  Put in your entire squad in concealment or fucking run if you have to.  And for the love of god, don't just sit in cover and take <50% pot shots at them.  The rule of the pre-squadsight game is that you beat the aliens at close range, they beat you at long range.
Yeah.  For my own part, I actually enjoy Aiming Angles, but it definitely turns up the lethality quite a bit.  Thin Mints in particular are bad enough without that on; with it active, they become crazy dangerous in the early game.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 05:41:10 pm by Culise »
Pages: 1 ... 537 538 [539] 540 541 ... 625