Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 520 521 [522] 523 524 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958955 times)

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #7815 on: February 11, 2014, 06:02:51 pm »

There are no seekers in OldCom. Invisibility (or stealth) is simply not a thing in it.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7816 on: February 11, 2014, 06:20:24 pm »

Your troops were still fragile in the end game of Oldcom though, rather than the tanks they became in newcom. While later on you can lost a man if the enemy concentrate fire in newcom, in oldcom there was always the chance of an errant plasma round melting the face of your best man. Armour helped, yeah, but it was more important to use careful tactics even towards endgame, but in Newcom I was an unstoppable steamroller before I reached the alien base. I would do it on impossible but for the beginning few missions with insta-kill thin men.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7817 on: February 11, 2014, 06:21:52 pm »

The increased vulnerability of OldCom troops is irrelevant once you have Psi. OldCom Psi can take down entire terror missions barely after stepping off the Skyranger.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7818 on: February 11, 2014, 06:26:00 pm »

Did I miss this fight before or did we really go 500 pages without 'old vs new xcom'?
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7819 on: February 11, 2014, 06:31:16 pm »

No, we've done it a few times before (culminating in Leafsnail posting the 9 minute speedrun of OldCom).
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7820 on: February 11, 2014, 06:39:44 pm »

If you'd like we could argue about whether or not TFTD was any good instead.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7821 on: February 11, 2014, 06:41:40 pm »

I like Apocalypse, honestly.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7822 on: February 11, 2014, 06:53:19 pm »

Yeah. I liked that you ended up invading the alien's world instead. A nice reversal of situations.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7823 on: February 11, 2014, 06:57:41 pm »

If you'd like we could argue about whether or not TFTD was any good instead.

I remember reading somewhere that the reason that TFTD is so difficult is that there was a bug in the original release of the original XCOM causing the game to always play at the beginner difficulty. When the devs heard that people thought even superhuman was easy, they made TFTD really difficult.

Can someone confirm? Or did I just read hearsay somewhere?

Apocalypse has so many cool features with the factions and the city. Too bad the aliens and their tech look so weirdly ugly. Also I didn't like the real-time combat mode very much and the turn-based system was not as sleek as the old one due to being based on the real-time system. Really cool game despite this, though.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7824 on: February 11, 2014, 08:31:33 pm »

Yes, the difficulty bug is one of the things OpenXcom or XcomUtil fix. TFTD is pretty damn difficult.

I like the really alien look of Apocalypse aliens. The ones with funnels for heads looked a bit silly, but I thought the designs for aliens were really bizaare enough they made a good change.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7825 on: February 11, 2014, 09:00:38 pm »

There are no seekers in OldCom. Invisibility (or stealth) is simply not a thing in it.
Indeed. And that is sad.

No, we've done it a few times before (culminating in Leafsnail posting the 9 minute speedrun of OldCom).
Neat. I'll watch it.

Yeah. I liked that you ended up invading the alien's world instead. A nice reversal of situations.
That does sound cool.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #7826 on: February 11, 2014, 10:07:38 pm »

Sure, the world might of been ravaged by Aliens as X-Com did nothing to help, but their central control was destroyed by one, alone soldier. Surely, that means the Aliens have lost!

Now, someone do a XCOM:EU or EW speedrun.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7827 on: February 11, 2014, 10:46:28 pm »

That'd necessarily be a bit longer, since missions will always take several minutes and such.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7828 on: February 11, 2014, 10:56:25 pm »

Agreed. The faction system felt interesting (though it could've used a little more depth), and I liked how real-time battles worked.

Big problem was the late-game tech making everything easy. It's a little like NewCom in that regard - the early game is brutal, but once you've got shields + teleporters + toxiguns, the game became a trivial stomp. (And that's if you aren't camping their world, shooting down every UFO before it can attack the city!)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #7829 on: February 11, 2014, 10:59:01 pm »

Would have been so great if that had been able to include all the stuff that got cut out according to legend.
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 520 521 [522] 523 524 ... 625