Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 419 420 [421] 422 423 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958330 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #6300 on: September 05, 2013, 03:19:51 pm »

I'm more interested in Itchy Trigger Tentacle. That completely and utterly changes the strategy of movement.
What's that one? Enemies always overwatch or something?

No, enemies have a 50% chance of just firing when you bump into them, instead of just overwatching.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6301 on: September 05, 2013, 03:20:54 pm »

It sounds like it'd encourage the "move very very slowly if at all" strategy even more.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6302 on: September 05, 2013, 03:21:56 pm »

It sounds like it'd encourage the "move very very slowly if at all" strategy even more.

But then you will lose out on the Cans of explodium that you have to collect or else they will explode and you won't collect them. (I though that part was a bit silly and too gamey... but whatever sounds fun)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6303 on: September 05, 2013, 03:29:07 pm »

But then you will lose out on the Cans of explodium that you have to collect or else they will explode and you won't collect them. (I though that part was a bit silly and too gamey... but whatever sounds fun)

It works for me. I always appreciate optional objectives.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6304 on: September 05, 2013, 03:34:58 pm »

Hmm. I don't know, I pretty much always move my people from cover to cover anyway, so that part would be ok. And while it'd be a little more dangerous, if they're standing in place and shooting instead of running for cover, that could also make some situations easier.

This would also make Assaults with Lightning Reflexes and the Scanner orb things even more useful, I would think.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6305 on: September 05, 2013, 03:36:11 pm »

It works for me. I always appreciate optional objectives.

Well... they are "Optional" in the sense that making new weapons and armor was optional.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6306 on: September 05, 2013, 03:41:56 pm »

More optional than that. Any given mission you don't have to go for the canisters, and on some missions if you finish quickly enough you'll get them regardless.

So while you'll probably really want to get some, they're not going to be a 'must do' for any given mission.

And I imagine that, to an extent, the new tech is going to be somewhat optional as far as how much you need it vs the standard tech. Kind of like how rushing Light Plasma Rifles is just as valid as rushing Laser weapons. The plasma rifles are better, but that is a somewhat more difficult route and going lasers is much more of a sure thing that carries you along until Plasma is easier to tech into.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6307 on: September 05, 2013, 03:43:44 pm »

Actually you're right, it'll just mean "make sure your assault with lightning reflexes is your lead man".

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6308 on: September 05, 2013, 06:03:20 pm »

But before you have the lightning reflexes assault, discovering a group of more than 1 alien guarantees they get a free potshot before your guy finishes his move.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6309 on: September 05, 2013, 06:04:32 pm »

But before you have the lightning reflexes assault, discovering a group of more than 1 alien guarantees they get a free potshot before your guy finishes his move.

Well, it is an optional setting to make the game harder.
Come play Mafia with us!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6310 on: September 05, 2013, 06:05:40 pm »

Yes, and a good thing. Before you get lightning reflexes, the only way to win would be to not move and just wait for them to come to you

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6311 on: September 05, 2013, 06:11:17 pm »

Yes, and a good thing. Before you get lightning reflexes, the only way to win would be to not move and just wait for them to come to you

Are they changing it so that the aliens are all active already? Because if not that won't work, since some of them will just hang out and chill waiting for you.
Come play Mafia with us!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6312 on: September 05, 2013, 06:11:29 pm »

Itchy Trigger Tentacle only applies to enemies who don't take cover such as Mechtoids and Sectopods (maybe floaters too?  They can take cover but sometimes don't bother).  You should definitely have an assault with lightning reflexes before then.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6313 on: September 05, 2013, 06:38:39 pm »

Somehow I suspect the Shivs still won't be useful in this expansion.

They are AMAZING in the early game (or if you get early game enemies) because their armor lets them outright charge the enemy.

Did you EVER bother to upgrade Shivs? I could see your argument if you're just using the basic minigun Shiv the whole time, but hover plasma Shivs are both highly formidable and expendable.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6314 on: September 05, 2013, 07:02:00 pm »

Somehow I suspect the Shivs still won't be useful in this expansion.

They are AMAZING in the early game (or if you get early game enemies) because their armor lets them outright charge the enemy.

Did you EVER bother to upgrade Shivs? I could see your argument if you're just using the basic minigun Shiv the whole time, but hover plasma Shivs are both highly formidable and expendable.

Seriously. Those things are nasty! And, in fact, an all-SHIV squad is a perfectly viable strategy even late game.
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 ... 419 420 [421] 422 423 ... 625