Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 405 406 [407] 408 409 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958652 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #6090 on: August 28, 2013, 05:42:31 pm »

My view is that it would be a sort of reprieve for people who get trapped in the meatgrinder in the latter half of the game. You'd have a few missions of lower level aliens (though now including Horrors) as the two battle it out over Earth. Then, the Temple Ship is blown out of the sky by the Horrors, freeing the mindslaved Council from Ethereal control....and now the Horrors have their eyes set on humanity.

Causing all the withdrawn nations to rejoin and giving the player a second chance.  Yeah, I think its a very cool idea that would do some good for this game's difficulty curve, provided it was well executed.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6091 on: August 28, 2013, 05:43:57 pm »

or lizard people.

The Thin men specifically ARE allusions to the "Lizard men who secretly rule the world" though you can only find this out by dissecting them.

It is one of the things that made the fact that there was no enhanced Thin man rather disappointing... because there were two directions
1) You could see their original unaltered form that uses the Thinman gimmicks to the next level (very fast, very accurate, with lethal spit)
2) You could see their perfected human form that could... pretend to be a civilian.
Their original, unaltered form is more or less confirmed to be Snakemen. The Thin Man autopsy is codenamed "Crimson Cape", they have xenoreptilian traits, and Snakemen are the only non-terror alien from the original that never shows up.
My view is that it would be a sort of reprieve for people who get trapped in the meatgrinder in the latter half of the game. You'd have a few missions of lower level aliens (though now including Horrors) as the two battle it out over Earth. Then, the Temple Ship is blown out of the sky by the Horrors, freeing the mindslaved Council from Ethereal control....and now the Horrors have their eyes set on humanity.

Causing all the withdrawn nations to rejoin and giving the player a second chance.  Yeah, I think its a very cool idea that would do some good for this game's difficulty curve, provided it was well executed.
Indeed. I would also envision a mission to the smoldering wreck of the Temple Ship, half sunk in the South Atlantic, to allow you to claim any remaining Ethereal tech. And as big as it is, not every alien on it would be dead.

One option as to how to deal with the Horrors might be involved in recovering the Temple Ship's core, which can be made into a weaponizable black hole ala the original ending.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 05:47:00 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6092 on: August 28, 2013, 05:46:05 pm »

Personally, I always find it hardest in the couple of missions right after Mutons show up. I'm always just slightly undergeared for them for a little bit, and then I catch up and they're no big deal.

Hmm...maybe it's because I tend to get both Mutons and Cyberdisks at that time, and the combination is particularly deadly.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6093 on: August 28, 2013, 05:46:50 pm »

2) You could see their perfected human form that could... pretend to be a civilian.
You are a evil evil person for even suggesting that (not that you really need to save more then 1 civilian in any terror mission, but still).
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 06:07:38 pm by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6094 on: August 28, 2013, 07:09:34 pm »

You are a evil evil person for even suggesting that (not that you really need to save more then 1 civilian in any terror mission, but still).

I am the one who thought of making a turn based RPG where one of the characters doesn't do anything, another does damage directly to you, and the last one heals only 50% of the time... all of who are mandatory party members.

I think it is safe to say that when it comes to how to annoy the player, I am the mayor of crazy town.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 07:15:39 pm by Neonivek »

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6095 on: August 28, 2013, 07:30:26 pm »

I am the one who thought of making a turn based RPG where one of the characters doesn't do anything, another does damage directly to you, and the last one heals only 50% of the time... all of who are mandatory party members.

I think it is safe to say that when it comes to how to annoy the player, I am the mayor of crazy town.

Heh, that sounds like a PC version of most of my Paranoia runs to be honest.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6096 on: August 28, 2013, 07:39:46 pm »

An interview.  I'm pretty stoked, not gonna lie.
Good news:

"A bunch of new enemies besides the Mechtoid."

"You automatically collect all Meld if you finish a mission."

"There will be multiple Mechs, and the class a solider was before becoming a Mech gives them extra abilities."

They hate Terror of the Deep and do not want this to be a repeating history. If they ever do Lovecraftian XCOM, they'll really do it.

Bad news:

No English accents after all.

They turned down an offer from Yahtzee to be an Australian VA.
Ugh, no... not mechs, just... no... why..?
Nobody is forcing you to use Mechs.

It's not enough for me to have the freedom to abstain from using something myself! Everyone else has to be restricted too, so as to ensure a refined experience and culture!
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6097 on: August 28, 2013, 07:41:50 pm »

Well, I prefer my experience and culture to include ridiculous mech battles.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6098 on: August 28, 2013, 07:47:31 pm »

This is how political parties get started haha.

"I HATE THIS THING! EVERYONE NEEDS TO NOT BE ABLE TO ENJOY IT RAAAARGH!"

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6099 on: August 28, 2013, 08:27:14 pm »

All this talk about the spoken accents and such, is it really that big a deal? They repeat themselves so much that after hour 10 or so I turned soldier speech off anyway.

It has several implications.

For example since there are polish voicess... then obviously there will be polish soldiers with a polish flag... being polish and all.
It has some national pride value to some people you know and since the game was already voiced in those languages (i think) adding some new flags and names was not that big of a job that might make people buy the game.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #6100 on: August 28, 2013, 08:43:58 pm »

Why is it so fucking hard for people to just remake shit that worked. I hate games being taken in "new directions" all the fucking time and it never working out. I'd rather have them just take the cool shit that worked and add more stuff to it rather than take my poor XCOM and try super hard to make it Mass Effect. And it's not even good at being Mass Effect, which is not a very hard thing to do because Mass Effect is so simple it's silly. I'm so sick of people fucking up super easy things. Why do they make it so hard. When we tell them "hey that shit was cool what you did with the thing and the stuff" and they just go "what like this?" and turn it on it's head and then I have to tear my hair out and be angry. Ugh.

But yeah DLC looks nice. Good interview. Super hype.

I would level the exact same argument with X-Com and XCOM... :)

You might wanna look into Xenonauts (cold war themed x-com with cel-shaded graphics, availiable for pre-order) or UFO:AI (free and open source near future sci-fi themed x-com with nifty 3d combat engine ). There are LP's of both in the other games section. It just happens to be a coincidence that one of them is mine :P
I don't mean XCOM, because I actually like Enemy Unknown (though it could've been fucking glorious on SO MANY LEVELS if they hadn't been lazy assholes), it was more directed at just fucking everything right now.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6101 on: August 28, 2013, 08:44:05 pm »

Polish soldiers were already in Enemy Unknown.
No Gods, No Masters.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6102 on: August 28, 2013, 08:57:21 pm »

Guninanrunin seems like he would have substantial difficulties with communication.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #6103 on: August 28, 2013, 09:06:50 pm »

Guninanrunin seems like he would have substantial difficulties with communication.
Er, just what the heck is that supposed to mean? :C

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6104 on: August 29, 2013, 12:47:29 am »

Why is it so fucking hard for people to just remake shit that worked. I hate games being taken in "new directions" all the fucking time and it never working out. I'd rather have them just take the cool shit that worked and add more stuff to it rather than take my poor XCOM and try super hard to make it Mass Effect. And it's not even good at being Mass Effect, which is not a very hard thing to do because Mass Effect is so simple it's silly. I'm so sick of people fucking up super easy things. Why do they make it so hard. When we tell them "hey that shit was cool what you did with the thing and the stuff" and they just go "what like this?" and turn it on it's head and then I have to tear my hair out and be angry. Ugh.

But yeah DLC looks nice. Good interview. Super hype.

I would level the exact same argument with X-Com and XCOM... :)

You might wanna look into Xenonauts (cold war themed x-com with cel-shaded graphics, availiable for pre-order) or UFO:AI (free and open source near future sci-fi themed x-com with nifty 3d combat engine ). There are LP's of both in the other games section. It just happens to be a coincidence that one of them is mine :P
I don't mean XCOM, because I actually like Enemy Unknown (though it could've been fucking glorious on SO MANY LEVELS if they hadn't been lazy assholes), it was more directed at just fucking everything right now.
Welcome to the industry.

XCOM: EU has already made some incredibly risque moves, like being a turn-based shooter in an era where most frat boys and 14-year olds (the largest consumer base for gaming industry because they love to purchase any thing that confirms their misguided idea of masculinity) buy FPSs, which means only FPSs get massive budgets and everything else gets "Broadened to appeal to a wider audience". While yes, there was definetly some broadening involved with XCOM, but that results in the game being more approachable without becoming too stupid. Unfortunatley, Ufopaedia, multiple bases and base defense has been cut out of it because twats in management had no intention of risking too big a share (let the developers say whatever they want, I am firm in my belief that most of the cuts didn't come from them) of the Frat Boy and 14-Year Old market.

But despite being an incredible risk, the game was a financial success and has opened up the X-Com franchise to many newcomers as well as (mostly) pleasing old fans who still lament the loss of some features.

I'd say the game is a step in the right direction. A shaky step made by a leper whose arms have dropped off midway through, but a step nontheless.
Pages: 1 ... 405 406 [407] 408 409 ... 625