Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 400 401 [402] 403 404 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958632 times)

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #6015 on: August 27, 2013, 05:46:33 am »

Actually X com does fudge the odds in the player's favour. If you miss a high chance shot, it will increase the probability of the next shot hitting (without telling you).

MY LIEUTENANT WAS ABRUPTLY INSTA-KILLED BY FOUR-PRONGED SQUIGGLE MEN, VINDICATE MY RAGE.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6016 on: August 27, 2013, 05:49:24 am »

English (not American) accents and foreign languages!? Genuinely - YAY! It's something I was REALLY annoyed with for XCOM - hopefully this will be the game it was always supposed to be...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6017 on: August 27, 2013, 06:15:41 am »

English (not American) accents and foreign languages!? Genuinely - YAY! It's something I was REALLY annoyed with for XCOM - hopefully this will be the game it was always supposed to be...

You guys are REALLY easy to market to.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6018 on: August 27, 2013, 06:17:44 am »

You'd think so. It's quite hard to find decent games with a  diverse accent/ language system.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6019 on: August 27, 2013, 06:48:42 am »

Will they fix Dr. Vahlen's horrendous voice acting accent?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6020 on: August 27, 2013, 07:26:56 am »

Ha! It's just VERY annoying to have a game where you can have soldiers from almost any major country in the world only to have them speak with a selection of generic American accents, all of which sound almost identical. It's a huge immersion breaker, as is turning voices off altogether!

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #6021 on: August 27, 2013, 07:30:06 am »

To be perfectly honest, I understand that it's not entirely perfect, but I don't get why people got so hung up on it.

I mean, I'd infinitely prefer if they'd focus on some gameplay rather than voiceacting. Gameplay über alles, as they say.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6022 on: August 27, 2013, 08:38:12 am »

According to them, it won't be much work. They already had Enemy Unknown fully translated several times over, so this seemed like the natrual thing to do.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #6023 on: August 28, 2013, 03:09:12 am »

An interview.  I'm pretty stoked, not gonna lie.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #6024 on: August 28, 2013, 03:28:27 am »

Why is it so fucking hard for people to just remake shit that worked. I hate games being taken in "new directions" all the fucking time and it never working out. I'd rather have them just take the cool shit that worked and add more stuff to it rather than take my poor XCOM and try super hard to make it Mass Effect. And it's not even good at being Mass Effect, which is not a very hard thing to do because Mass Effect is so simple it's silly. I'm so sick of people fucking up super easy things. Why do they make it so hard. When we tell them "hey that shit was cool what you did with the thing and the stuff" and they just go "what like this?" and turn it on it's head and then I have to tear my hair out and be angry. Ugh.

But yeah DLC looks nice. Good interview. Super hype.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6025 on: August 28, 2013, 03:57:08 am »

Why is it so fucking hard for people to just remake shit that worked. I hate games being taken in "new directions" all the fucking time and it never working out. I'd rather have them just take the cool shit that worked and add more stuff to it rather than take my poor XCOM and try super hard to make it Mass Effect. And it's not even good at being Mass Effect, which is not a very hard thing to do because Mass Effect is so simple it's silly. I'm so sick of people fucking up super easy things. Why do they make it so hard. When we tell them "hey that shit was cool what you did with the thing and the stuff" and they just go "what like this?" and turn it on it's head and then I have to tear my hair out and be angry. Ugh.

But yeah DLC looks nice. Good interview. Super hype.

I would level the exact same argument with X-Com and XCOM... :)

You might wanna look into Xenonauts (cold war themed x-com with cel-shaded graphics, availiable for pre-order) or UFO:AI (free and open source near future sci-fi themed x-com with nifty 3d combat engine ). There are LP's of both in the other games section. It just happens to be a coincidence that one of them is mine :P
This is a blank sig.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6026 on: August 28, 2013, 04:09:28 am »

Ugh, no... not mechs, just... no... why..?
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6027 on: August 28, 2013, 07:46:06 am »

An interview.  I'm pretty stoked, not gonna lie.
Good news:

"A bunch of new enemies besides the Mechtoid."

"You automatically collect all Meld if you finish a mission."

"There will be multiple Mechs, and the class a solider was before becoming a Mech gives them extra abilities."

They hate Terror of the Deep and do not want this to be a repeating history. If they ever do Lovecraftian XCOM, they'll really do it.

Bad news:

No English accents after all.

They turned down an offer from Yahtzee to be an Australian VA.
Ugh, no... not mechs, just... no... why..?
Nobody is forcing you to use Mechs.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6028 on: August 28, 2013, 07:49:35 am »

They're not mechs either. Kinda cyborgs.

I just wonder how they're going to explain the Meld. I mean, Elerium and the alien plating were logical, but an evaporating resource scattered around battlefields? Were does it come from? 

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6029 on: August 28, 2013, 08:28:43 am »

I don't understand the issues with the voices. I understand a soldier might say like 50 different things but I don't see why a crowdsourced mod couldn't be implemented for it.

My only guess is that maybe in certain situations one voice type would make a comment but another voice type wouldn't but other then that I can't see any potential issues and that is just silly implementation.
Pages: 1 ... 400 401 [402] 403 404 ... 625