Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 392 393 [394] 395 396 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958257 times)

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #5895 on: August 21, 2013, 09:06:34 am »

I'm on my 44th play of Classic Ironman, and never made it past month 4. I don't know why I still bother. Losing is fun, eh?
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5896 on: August 21, 2013, 09:12:26 am »

The major expansion looks like it will be a standalone, Xcom Enemy Within. It's the thing I saw on Jake's laptop earlier this year it appears. It looks like it will drop at Christmas or maybe even a little sooner.

And now it's going back to an expansion for the PC version and a standalone for consoles. Quite jerking my chain, Jake! http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/21/xcom-enemy-within-is-an-expansion-out-15th-november/#more-165561
Okay, augmenting your soldiers sounds pretty cool. Hopefully there will plenty of bits to choose from, and hopefully there will be more than just a single new enemy.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5897 on: August 21, 2013, 09:14:52 am »

Oh. Oh yes. It's nice to see that they're continuing with the transhuman/anti-transhuman theme in regards to adopting alien technology. That fits almost perfectly with X-COM.

I saw an emblem I didn't recognize in the static of the video, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that's the logo of the titular Enemy Within, the allium-sympathizing scum.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5898 on: August 21, 2013, 10:44:37 am »

If anything, Firaxis has done a great job of not only maintaining the theme of X-COM, but enhancing it. My favorite XCOM was always Apocalypse, not so because of the mechanics, but how they interwove all the alien technology with the game world - psionic-based drugs and gangs, alien-style reproduction, androids and sectoids as minorities, hover vehicles, Elerium mining megacorporations.

From the theme of the game so far, I think Firaxis plans to expand on that theme. I'm still conflicted on whether to just win XCOM once on Normal Ironman, or non-ironman Classic just to see the story.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5899 on: August 21, 2013, 10:46:33 am »

Huh, interesting. Looking forward to how all that plays out!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5900 on: August 21, 2013, 11:12:03 am »

40 new maps? Yes please!

Hopefully not all America again this time too.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5901 on: August 21, 2013, 11:17:22 am »

40 new maps? Yes please!

Hopefully not all America again this time too.

Don't worry, it'll be 40 maps of Britain!

That said, I'm interested in the expansion. May inspire me to play the game again.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5902 on: August 21, 2013, 11:54:40 am »

To be honest, they had me at mechsuits.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5903 on: August 21, 2013, 12:08:27 pm »

I wonder if it will be possible to switch between mech and non-mech, or if it's a permanent change.

Either way, I think I will run a campaign with "Space Marine rules". Units who get critically wounded may, if sufficiently awesome, be interred in "Dreadnaughts" for the rest of their miserable lives.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5904 on: August 21, 2013, 12:17:49 pm »

I certainly hope you can have all-mech teams.
Just imagine how badass that would be.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5905 on: August 21, 2013, 12:19:39 pm »

I wonder if it will be possible to switch between mech and non-mech, or if it's a permanent change.

Either way, I think I will run a campaign with "Space Marine rules". Units who get critically wounded may, if sufficiently awesome, be interred in "Dreadnaughts" for the rest of their miserable lives.

I think that the change is permanent, based on the wording from the article. I don't think we can be entirely sure until we get our greasy mitts on the game though.

I certainly hope you can have all-mech teams.
Just imagine how badass that would be.

I don't see why not. If I remember correctly all-SHIV squad was a go.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5906 on: August 21, 2013, 12:22:32 pm »

The article said mech users were a class, like the other four.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5907 on: August 21, 2013, 12:25:15 pm »

They shall be my finest warriors, these men who give of themselves to me. Like clay I shall mould them and in the furnace of terror missions forge them. They shall be of iron will and steel sinew. In great mechsuits I shall clad them and with the mightiest plasma weapons they will be armed. They will be untouched by parasites; no chrysallid shall blight them. They are my bulwark against the Unknown. They are the Defenders of Humanity.

They are my MECmarines and they shall know no fear.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5908 on: August 21, 2013, 12:42:11 pm »

Will there be actual nation-specific voiceactors? I mean, CIV5 had them.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5909 on: August 21, 2013, 12:44:02 pm »

Will there be actual nation-specific voiceactors? I mean, CIV5 had them.
That would be nice too.

Hell, we know they have different language options for the game. You'd think they could just take the voices from their different region settings and plunk them together.
Pages: 1 ... 392 393 [394] 395 396 ... 625