Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 386 387 [388] 389 390 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958165 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #5805 on: May 31, 2013, 05:07:24 pm »

I can see why they removed free aiming.  In the original game it was usually best to just wander around shooting every piece of cover the aliens could possibly be hiding behind, and it's boring to have that be the best strategy.

That wasn't why they removed free aiming though.

And why did they remove free aiming, Neonivek? Was it to simplify things for the console crowd?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5806 on: May 31, 2013, 05:15:02 pm »

I am honestly baffled by all this "console crowd" stuff just being applied to everything.  The concept of shooting a gun at a wall is not a difficult one to grasp (indeed, it is something you can do in popular console franchise Call of Duty).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5807 on: May 31, 2013, 05:18:20 pm »

I can see why they removed free aiming.  In the original game it was usually best to just wander around shooting every piece of cover the aliens could possibly be hiding behind, and it's boring to have that be the best strategy.

And why did they remove free aiming, Neonivek? Was it to simplify things for the console crowd?

It was because they had a hard enough time getting ordinary aiming to work.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5808 on: May 31, 2013, 05:19:56 pm »

I am honestly baffled by all this "console crowd" stuff just being applied to everything.  The concept of shooting a gun at a wall is not a difficult one to grasp (indeed, it is something you can do in popular console franchise Call of Duty).

It was more of a guess on my side. Nothing to do with "console players are stupid, hurr" but rather than gameplay on consoles tend to be more streamlined. that seems to be the approach to those games - for events to flow smoothly, without distracting the player with way too much detail. I totally get that, too.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5809 on: May 31, 2013, 05:21:38 pm »

Right, fair enough.  Although I think that's probably something that developers aim to do in the PC market too.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5810 on: May 31, 2013, 05:29:48 pm »

Nah, they said in one of the interviews that they had to take out free aiming because it make the game too easy with the cover system. You'd just spam laser/plasma and destroy the aliens cover and them mop up. It removed most of the tactical aspects.

So they had to choose between destructible terrain and free aiming. They chose destructible terrain.

It wasn't an issue in the old game because there were so many aliens and soldiers running around. Plus, cover tended to be of the wall/open space variety and less of a bug deal.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Tres_Huevos

• Bay Watcher
  • All I want for Christmas are your two front teeth.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5811 on: May 31, 2013, 05:30:09 pm »

Actually, if I recall correctly that's exactly why the removed free aim.
I think the quote can be found in this video, though I don't have time to sift through it at the moment to find out where.
http://au.pc.gamespy.com/pc/xcom-enemy-unknown/1226273p1.html

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5812 on: May 31, 2013, 05:30:51 pm »

Right, fair enough.  Although I think that's probably something that developers aim to do in the PC market too.

Spoiler: OT, I'll stop soon (click to show/hide)
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #5813 on: May 31, 2013, 06:00:22 pm »

XCOM took a lot of big steps backwards with this newest release, but then a lot of other games have too, even games originally and exclusively for PC. It doesn't have anything to do with what platform the game is on, the amount of technology or resources, or even our "generation", but what kind of vision the developer has for the game. In short, imagination. Those of us who live on this forum or are fans of Dwarf Fortress should understand that better than anyone else.

EDIT: Ninja'd. Now it doesn't really fit. :P
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 06:02:21 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5814 on: May 31, 2013, 06:07:16 pm »

XCOM took a lot of big steps backwards with this newest release, but then a lot of other games have too, even games originally and exclusively for PC. It doesn't have anything to do with what platform the game is on, the amount of technology or resources, or even our "generation", but what kind of vision the developer has for the game. In short, imagination. Those of us who live on this forum or are fans of Dwarf Fortress should understand that better than anyone else.

But we as Dwarf Fortress players have trouble grasping this streamling concept. We're used to getting ever more stuff.
;)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #5815 on: May 31, 2013, 06:20:45 pm »

But we as Dwarf Fortress players have trouble grasping this streamling concept. We're used to getting ever more stuff.
;)
It really isn't fair how unsatisfying everything else feels after playing DF. Its the worst and best thing that ever happened to me. :D

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #5816 on: June 01, 2013, 03:30:06 pm »

For people who want the old-school experience once again, two nice pieces of news:

Open Xcom is feature complete. It's a free open source remake the of original X-COM game engine that requires all the originals assets, just drop the exe into the folder of the original X-Com and run. Enjoy the ability to scale graphics to any resolution and built-in support for designing the base at the start, get annoyed at the bug that causes the camera to shoot off to a random corner and not come back until you end the turn. The temporary fix is to go into the options, change the camera type, leave and re-enter options and change it back. Also if you dig around in the settings, you can even have it do some black magic that basically turns all the graphics into good looking vector art, which makes it actually look rather decent when scaled up to any size. It's witchcraft I say!

Also Xenonauts is pretty stable and on Steam Early Access now, which is nice :)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 03:34:09 pm by MorleyDev »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5817 on: June 01, 2013, 04:45:19 pm »

Oddly enough, looking at market trends, Consoles seem on the way out. In this decade, mobile and PC games will become the main market.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5818 on: June 01, 2013, 04:51:34 pm »

Especially since both Microsoft and Sony seem completely intent on shooting themselves in the feet.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5819 on: June 01, 2013, 04:54:02 pm »

Like high-end PC gaming once was, console gaming will diminish into a hardcore following of dedicated people who have the cash to pay for the systems and the monthly subscription fee for all the games (as this is the ultimate DRM feature the Xbox 1 and PS3 shall have: always online DRM).
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 ... 386 387 [388] 389 390 ... 625