Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 382 383 [384] 385 386 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958255 times)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #5745 on: May 21, 2013, 02:53:21 pm »

I am having the most amazing game.

Classic Ironman, no tutorial, first four second wave options enabled (because that's all of them I've unlocked - random funds, random damage, random upgrades and... that other one I forget).

I just finished the alien base and ended month 4. Zero casualties. Zero countries lost.

Holy shit, I just might pull off a perfect game if I keep this up. o___o (Unless I just jinxed myself, but let's be honest, it's all going to go wrong eventually...)
a sectopod has been informed of your location and is currently aiming multiple artillery strikes.  Enjoy~
Nom nom nom

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5746 on: May 21, 2013, 03:46:06 pm »

Despite many games played, I've still yet to lose a unit to a sectopod. They are just so easy to kill!

Of course, I'm also running a team with 3 heavies, 2 assaults, and a sniper, so... let's just say not much is standing up to a shredder rocket followed by 4 shots from the heavy laser with HEAT ammo, 4 shots of point blank scattergun, and a pretty much guaranteed-critical laser sniper.

Even with only laser weapons I'm pretty sure I could take out a sectopod at this point.

...as long as he came alone, of course. >_>

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5747 on: May 21, 2013, 03:56:27 pm »

I think the only times I've lost units to a sectopod is due to panicked soldiers running and getting gunned down by the reaction fire. That 2-shot reaction of theirs is really the nasty thing about them. Makes dealing with a Sectopod + other aliens a lot nastier since it inhibits your ability to move around.

Unless you've got two assaults with Lightning reflexes, anyway.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5748 on: May 21, 2013, 03:59:21 pm »

I think the only times I've lost units to a sectopod is due to panicked soldiers running and getting gunned down by the reaction fire. That 2-shot reaction of theirs is really the nasty thing about them. Makes dealing with a Sectopod + other aliens a lot nastier since it inhibits your ability to move around.

Unless you've got two assaults with Lightning reflexes, anyway.
The only time I've come close to losing a unit to a sectopod was when raiding a battleship, and I encountered almost every enemy in the same room.  Only three enemies were in other rooms.  There were two sectopods, two beserkers, and a bunch of mutons and floaters.Even then they only managed to bring two of my soldiers to one hp. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5749 on: May 21, 2013, 04:08:55 pm »

Also, by the time I see sectopods, I usually have battle stims. I took out two sectopods with a half team before by having my assault stim up and then stand between the two. He managed to weather one turn under fire from both and an additional turn under fire from one and still had a good bit of health left.

I love battle stims. They really are a win button.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5750 on: May 21, 2013, 05:04:03 pm »

I guess I'm just unlucky with them because they always show up for me with a contingent of about 4-6 other aliens that are between me and it.
Nom nom nom

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5751 on: May 22, 2013, 01:36:47 am »

Play impossible.

Sectopods come in pairs and have so much HP the bars cover the entire screen. They also stop using their missiles and will use their AOE, instakilling superlaser almost all the time. And the laser will always crit, even when it's AOE. And they can shoot twice in a turn.

I thought Sectopods were garbage in normal too.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5752 on: May 22, 2013, 02:05:56 am »

The only good strategy I've found for Sectopods is using battle scanners to take Squadsight shots at them without being shot back at. It messes with their AI, so they won't move unless they see you.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5753 on: May 22, 2013, 04:25:59 am »

Sectopods were the only reason why my impossible iron man + all second wave options run had almost my entire squad consisting of heavies.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5754 on: May 22, 2013, 10:29:05 am »

Oh nooo. Stupid unlucky goddamn abduction targets. 2 countries getting hit three times in a row, having to constantly choose between the two, and no satellites done in time.

I'm gonna lose the UK, damn it. >_< My perfect run!

On another note, I'm now running 4 heavies, all with supression, danger zone, and Mayhem. Do you know how bloody amazing this is? That is a guaranteed 12 damage (24 versus robots) with NO chance to miss and severe penalties to moving and shooting for the targets against an ENTIRE group of enemies, AFTER firing off 4 shots of heavily damaging fairly accurate weaponry.

It. Is. Glorious.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5755 on: May 30, 2013, 02:51:23 am »

So I just got this because it was only 10 dollars on Amazon. It wasn't completely impulse as I've played it for a few minutes at a friend's place and enjoyed it.

I haven't really been keeping up with the post-release of XCOM but judging by all the online complaints about bugs and the hilarious DLC they've released I'm waging that Firaxis has no idea what to do with the game (as usual). Is there any fan-patches or must have mods for a first play-through or should I just jump right in?

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5756 on: May 30, 2013, 05:29:03 am »

So I just got this because it was only 10 dollars on Amazon. It wasn't completely impulse as I've played it for a few minutes at a friend's place and enjoyed it.

I haven't really been keeping up with the post-release of XCOM but judging by all the online complaints about bugs and the hilarious DLC they've released I'm waging that Firaxis has no idea what to do with the game (as usual). Is there any fan-patches or must have mods for a first play-through or should I just jump right in?

Rest assured my fine-furred friend, with full confidence and an abundance of faith, Firaxis knows exactly what to do. It's only a matter of a few simple tweaks to the basic mechanics; add a few factions for diversity, each with a couple of unique units; expand the combat scale using a sort of "stacking" system to accommodate a truly immense number of squad members; and of course, broaden to whole base-building aspect to encompass the management of entire cities.

After implementing these features, I am willing to bet that they will be solid for four sequels, at least!
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5757 on: May 30, 2013, 05:43:18 am »

Oh you.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5758 on: May 30, 2013, 09:56:47 am »

I really can't see the love-in this game seems to have amongst members here.

I adored the original X-Com series, loved them. I even enjoyed the 'UFO' series that came out in the mid 2000s.

And I love Xenonauts and even UFO: AI.

But this? This is just...well...pants.

I purchased it on release day, since then I have played it for five hours, according to Steam.

FIVE HOURS. Last played on 14th October 2012.

I just can't go back to it. There's nothing drawing me in at all. It's just shite.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5759 on: May 30, 2013, 10:44:31 am »

What difficulty have you played it on? If you tried it only on Easy or Normal, I strongly recommend trying it out on Classical.

It is also possible that it's just not for you, I suppose. I loved the original X-Com and I've gotten great use out of this one. 80 hours so far and still playing sometimes.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 382 383 [384] 385 386 ... 625