Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 381 382 [383] 384 385 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958271 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #5730 on: May 10, 2013, 12:53:56 am »

Well, I'd like to see an X-Com style game in that 1950s style. Could be cool.

Maybe Firaxis will pick it up or something?

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #5731 on: May 10, 2013, 12:58:24 am »

I'm confused, Guninanrunin. EA does not have jurisdiction to scrap 2k's games, nor has it recently scrapped a game called "Forever". What are you talking about?
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #5732 on: May 10, 2013, 01:09:11 am »

I'm confused, Guninanrunin. EA does not have jurisdiction to scrap 2k's games, nor has it recently scrapped a game called "Forever". What are you talking about?
..I meant 2K. They're both the same thing in my brain. But yes whatever company was advertising the game in the pictures has scrapped that project. They even took down all the official videos they made for it on youtube. Technically it wasn't scrapped, but it has been renamed and its no longer an XCOM game. Its called The Bureau or something now.

EDIT: Just actually looked at the links you showed. Yeah I thought you were just talking about the dumb teaser they released for the XCOM FPS like a year back, which is now known as The Bureau and isn't any longer and XCOM title. :P
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 01:11:48 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5733 on: May 10, 2013, 01:17:12 am »

It's known as "The Bureau: XCOM Declassified" now. They have no intention, as far as I can tell, of not trying to market using the franchise name. It doesn't look anything like the old teaser at all, though. Which means the previous poster is probably right: CANCER CANCER CANCER.

Since Take Two reported a loss at the end of 2012, you'd think they'd pull the plug on this project and get out while they can, but they're apparently still planning on moving forward. I probably would have funelled those resources into GTA, but I'm not the expert.
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5734 on: May 10, 2013, 01:36:52 am »

I thought GTA was Rockstar...

By "Forever" I was referring to the infamous Duke Nukem game. Anyway, constant reworkings and long delays are never a good sign. Change the direction of a project once too often, it loses too much energy. I predict that it will go into development hell. We might eventually see a game come out of this, but if it does, it won't be for years.

Meanwhile, there's that teasing little harlot (as Yahtzee would say) trailer at Pax, where the council guy said something about "another force" before it went to static.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5735 on: May 10, 2013, 01:44:32 am »

Let's hope it's not another "Forever"

Here is a major difference between that and Duke Nukem forever.

People wanted Duke Nukem  forever, and I am pretty sure people aren't really caring too much about that game.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5736 on: May 10, 2013, 02:14:36 am »

Actually EA scrapped the project about a week ago.
What

Never. EA must never touch this franchise.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5737 on: May 10, 2013, 02:57:47 am »

I thought GTA was Rockstar...

Rockstar and 2k Games are both owned by Take-Two interactive.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #5738 on: May 10, 2013, 09:38:16 am »

I predict that it will go into development hell.
Oh no, it'll definitely come out soon. It'll just be a steaming pile of rushed, unoriginal dog crap.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #5739 on: May 10, 2013, 09:42:25 am »

That was a really good trailer
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5740 on: May 10, 2013, 10:39:39 am »

I, for one, am excited for the potential of The Bureau: X-Com Declassified

Why?

Because it's taking on the "good ol' days" that has been popularized with Bioshock, and making it into an X-Com franchise that looks like it will be:
a) Polished (because of them actually responding to negative press/fan comments)
b) Popular

This means that not only will I have a fun enough game to play, the franchise is likely to receive a cash injection from non-old-school gamers that will result in more sequels for both games, AND another wave of spin-offs :D
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5741 on: May 10, 2013, 10:57:38 am »

I find myself ambivalent about that project. If it comes out with a good game, great. If not, eh. We get a new X-Com that scratches the same itch for me as the original and is damn fun. Anything else they try with the franchise after this point is gravy.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5742 on: May 10, 2013, 02:18:17 pm »

The main difference, I think, is that we were getting XCOM, and were like, the franchise is ruined because they made this instead of a real XCOM.

At this point, they already made EU, so they can make their spinoff if it want without anyone thinking that they're abandoning the strategy one. I wouldn't even care if its a shooter. I may get it, or not.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5743 on: May 10, 2013, 06:01:16 pm »

I'm not saying I wouldn't like to see this game, because I need more mysterious aliens getting disected to find more about them after getting taken down in most epic tactics, I just don't think we'll see it any time soon.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5744 on: May 21, 2013, 01:46:22 pm »

I am having the most amazing game.

Classic Ironman, no tutorial, first four second wave options enabled (because that's all of them I've unlocked - random funds, random damage, random upgrades and... that other one I forget).

I just finished the alien base and ended month 4. Zero casualties. Zero countries lost.

Holy shit, I just might pull off a perfect game if I keep this up. o___o (Unless I just jinxed myself, but let's be honest, it's all going to go wrong eventually...)
Pages: 1 ... 381 382 [383] 384 385 ... 625