Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 373 374 [375] 376 377 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958529 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #5610 on: March 24, 2013, 06:48:37 pm »

They also just announced that there will be a straight port of XCOM enemy unknown for IOS
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/23/xcom-enemy-unknown-iOS/
Thats what it should've been for in the first place.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5611 on: March 24, 2013, 06:50:56 pm »

They also just announced that there will be a straight port of XCOM enemy unknown for IOS
What?

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5612 on: March 24, 2013, 06:56:56 pm »

What?
I agree with this sentiment.

It was designed for PC and consoles. Making it for IOS is probably ever so slightly worse (mistouch? FUUUUUUUUUUUUU-)
"Now, time for my sniper to kill this sectopod, securing victory for my team without a single casua- NO, DON'T KILL THE DRON-" *mission failed*
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5613 on: March 24, 2013, 07:18:25 pm »

If you're in a situation where not killing a sectopod means you lose in, like, one turn, chances are you grouped your entire, all wounded team into a small area that the sectopod is about to hit with missile. So yeah, you deserve it.

also I don't give a shit about the IOS port... I don't even really know what an IOS is.
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5614 on: March 24, 2013, 07:22:00 pm »

That isn't what that means at all. A Sectopod can attack twice per turn and has automatic overwatch. Even if your team is very spread out that can translate to three deaths per turn. You could chose to not move and not trigger the overwatch...but then it'll bombard you.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5615 on: March 24, 2013, 09:39:45 pm »

That isn't what that means at all. A Sectopod can attack twice per turn and has automatic overwatch. Even if your team is very spread out that can translate to three deaths per turn. You could chose to not move and not trigger the overwatch...but then it'll bombard you.

Personally I have very little respect for the bombard ability, considering its easy to dodge and disables the auto-overwatch.  Its normal attack dangerous as anything though; if something goes wrong and you're not in a position to take out the sectopod, it'll trap your entire squad in place while attacking twice per turn and letting everything else on the map flank you.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5616 on: March 24, 2013, 10:05:08 pm »

Yeah but it uses a lesser weapon for its Overwatch. To the extent where often my strategy was to outright ignore that overwatch (admittingly running through overwatch is something I tended to get my guys) to unload enough damage to take that thing down.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5617 on: March 24, 2013, 10:11:39 pm »

Yeah but it uses a lesser weapon for its Overwatch. To the extent where often my strategy was to outright ignore that overwatch (admittingly running through overwatch is something I tended to get my guys) to unload enough damage to take that thing down.
It uses a "lesser" weapon for Overwatch in that it uses a very deadly heavy plasma as opposed to an extremely deadly fusion cannon. Above normal both are commonly 20+ damage.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5618 on: March 24, 2013, 10:13:36 pm »

Hmmm, I guess what is why I run in my scouts to use up its Overwatch first.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #5619 on: March 24, 2013, 10:52:27 pm »

Rockets are what I usually throw at them. If you have two assaults and there aren't any other hostiles they can bring it down alone.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5620 on: March 24, 2013, 11:00:12 pm »

That's a lot of assumptions to be making for X-Com.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5621 on: March 25, 2013, 12:04:46 am »

I think invisability doesn't disable the overwatch but it does give "cover" plus the natural dodge bonus from running.

Mind you I have RARELY if ever faced a Sectopod without most of the stage being finished or at a huge advantage (Snipers in range)

Though generally speaking I like to have two Assaults, Two Snipers, A Heavy, and a Support. Though for my last mission I got rid of a Sniper for a second Support (because I didn't have a captain sniper... and Snipers don't REALLY shine until their final level. Unlike the other classes who shine early. Mind you NO ONE shines as brightly as a well trained Sniper). The two snipers while they were alive was one who could take down entire armies so long as they are visable and the second one could take down a Sectopod in a single volly (double shot and kill shot)

Two assaults can clear a room, Snipers can clear the streets, the heavy supplies the boom, and the support for healing. Though admittingly I still don't like Heavies.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 12:08:00 am by Neonivek »

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5622 on: March 25, 2013, 01:13:32 am »

The only use I have for heavies is heat ammo. They have not really good aim, and not outstanding damage, rifles are much better imo (so assault or support). I prefer to go with a 2 assault (1 shotgun, 1 rifle), 2 support, 1 sniper and 1 heavy formation though.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5623 on: March 25, 2013, 01:17:53 am »

I generally go with two snipers, two heavy, one assault, and one support.

Though, once you get to the later stages of the game there is always the possibility of using five snipers and one SHIV.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5624 on: March 25, 2013, 01:21:00 am »

I think what hurts Heavies is this is a game where any shot that doesn't kill the enemy is a wasted shot.

So while Snipers and assaults can easily take down entire groups of enemies solo (Assaults being excellent on killing enemies hidding in rooms) a Heavy risks outright missing and wasting a turn.

Mind you Heavy is for clearing cover most of the time which can be just as important if not more so.

Mind you I never used a winning combination for a Heavy yet.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 01:44:02 am by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 373 374 [375] 376 377 ... 625