Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 371 372 [373] 374 375 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958530 times)

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #5580 on: February 11, 2013, 12:02:58 am »

I had what was perphaps the best sniper ever.
He wasn't once wounded wounded, and was on EVERY X-Com mission I had.  He quickly ranked up, and was the first to be given a skeleton suit and laser weaponry.  Eventually I had got to the second terror mission.  The whole thing was a complete disaster, with floaters killing my medic almost immediately.  After they were killed, I started to advance, only to immediately encounter about six chrysalids. The two rookies I had with me got turned, and I began a running retreat with my sniper major and my two heavies.  My sniper used his grappling hook to get to the roof of a truck, while my other two squad members were quickly killed by zombies.  My sniper then proceeded to murder each chysalid, even killing his former teamates.  Every time he fired, something died.  Eventually I saw that only a few civies were left, and the stem of chrysalids ended.  So I had him use his hook to get to the plaza on top of a building, where he killed the last few aliens with his pistol. He had almost 20 kills that entire mission.
And then the next mission he went on a UFO mission where his position was charged by 8 mutons, a beserker, and a cyberdisk.  After everyone in the squad had completed their turn.  He was killed almost immidiatly.   
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5581 on: February 11, 2013, 12:32:48 am »

What co-op?
Wait, what?
My guess is that his idea of co-op consists of three people in a room, with one sitting down giving orders to his two troops while the other two stare at the one sitting wondering what the hell he's doing until its his turn.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5582 on: February 11, 2013, 03:04:40 am »

What co-op?
Wait, what?

We plugged in 3 computer mice, and had 2 characters each. We'd each control our own guys and debated tactics each turn, but sometime acted on our own in the interest of self-preservation and screwed over the group. It was actually a fun challenge, trying to make tactical decisions as a group on the fly, and I'd recommend trying it out.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 03:07:27 am by Solifuge »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5583 on: February 11, 2013, 11:45:59 am »

That sounds pretty fun.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5584 on: February 12, 2013, 12:32:02 pm »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
  • Infernally rotten to the gore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5585 on: February 12, 2013, 07:14:07 pm »

Well, im just finishing my first playthrough of XCOM on Classic (Didnt play the previous ones either) and i must say it is awesome game, although a bit too short. Trying on Impossible now, and its going pretty well, you just gotta go into full cover when possible and never sprint unless certain and spam overwatch, try skipping laser weapons and go straight for plasma, and in first month focus on getting technics and satellite uplink.
Goats will ignore your grass and eat the neighbours' roses. They're just evil bastards like that.
Probably thats why they are used with pentagrams on covers of Satanic Black Metal albums.
BURNING SHIT AND EATING ROOSESSSSSS DDOFOFAOAARRRAHYYYE

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #5586 on: February 12, 2013, 11:09:53 pm »

Had an interesting council nation prompt today, from Germany, requesting a Sectopod wreck. Reason? To rebuild and re-purpose it 'reduce' the local panic, for 'defensive purposes, of course.' . According to the prompt after complying and reading the news bar afterwards, they were successful.

This makes me wonder, if they can restore a Sectopod into functioning condition, why are we stuck with crappy S.H.I.V.s?
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5587 on: February 12, 2013, 11:13:30 pm »

Doubtful they can actually return it to normal functionality. The research notes on Cyberdisks and Sectopods emphasize that they are ambiguous beings that appear mechanical but also have complex organ-like systems.

Likely they just stick some normal robotics under the shell of the thing and sent it out to quell rioters through intimidation.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #5588 on: February 12, 2013, 11:24:16 pm »

As far as I know, that's only with the Cyberdiscs, which are mechanically assimilated silicon-based lifeforms.

Controlling them would be rather difficult, but they're likely not trying to bring a dead orgnism back to life.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5589 on: February 13, 2013, 02:10:36 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
  • Infernally rotten to the gore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5590 on: February 13, 2013, 03:57:45 pm »

The save limit bug bugs me, i have to delete my older saves to load newer ones because after 100 or something they just dont appear. Its even better, it happens on xbox on which i have plenty of gbs of memory left on HDD.
Goats will ignore your grass and eat the neighbours' roses. They're just evil bastards like that.
Probably thats why they are used with pentagrams on covers of Satanic Black Metal albums.
BURNING SHIT AND EATING ROOSESSSSSS DDOFOFAOAARRRAHYYYE

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5591 on: February 13, 2013, 04:00:03 pm »

The save limit bug bugs me, i have to delete my older saves to load newer ones because after 100 or something they just dont appear. Its even better, it happens on xbox on which i have plenty of gbs of memory left on HDD.

Yeah, if you're not doing Ironman you have to manage your saves pretty carefully. It's annoying, and stupid. Even moreso on PC, where space is almost never an issue.

I get around it by only playing Ironman these days.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5592 on: February 13, 2013, 04:25:50 pm »

What is funny is people laughed at me when I told them I hit that bug.

In their face I say :D

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5593 on: February 14, 2013, 03:54:25 am »

100? Hah, I was kind of stupidly assuming there to be a save limit WAY lower than that. I've only been playing Ironman, and the first X-Com had like ten save slots. It's hard to remember that space limitations no longer exist. :P

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #5594 on: February 14, 2013, 11:09:36 pm »

Huzzah! I managed to beat my first Classic Ironman Game!

On to Impossible Ironman! When the next patch comes out.

Pages: 1 ... 371 372 [373] 374 375 ... 625