Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 349 350 [351] 352 353 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 959078 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #5250 on: January 05, 2013, 01:37:21 am »

Given that you get a message about how the Cyberdisk Cannon explodes whenever you kill one, yes.

There's also the fact that there as at least a vestigial fourth weapon tier, Fusion, of which only Fusion Cannons and Blaster Launchers remain.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5251 on: January 05, 2013, 01:40:51 am »

I just want them to admit they rushed a bit because I am tired of needing to prove that oddly missing content is oddly missing content.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5252 on: January 05, 2013, 01:45:21 am »

I just want them to admit they rushed a bit because I am tired of needing to prove that oddly missing content is oddly missing content.
Like the interception screen? 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5253 on: January 05, 2013, 01:46:13 am »

On the bright side, a rushed (but still good) game with missing content has been turned around by a well-funded sequel or expansion pack before, and could be here as well. Fallout 3 to Fallout New Vegas, for example. Hopefully we'll get a Terror from the Deep remake, as there's lots of potential there since the original didn't do very much with what it had.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5254 on: January 05, 2013, 01:48:36 am »

On the bright side, a rushed (but still good) game with missing content has been turned around by a well-funded sequel or expansion pack before, and could be here as well. Fallout 3 to Fallout New Vegas, for example. Hopefully we'll get a Terror from the Deep remake, as there's lots of potential there since the original didn't do very much with what it had.

and because Terror missions were lack luster, us missing them... won't really bug me.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5255 on: January 05, 2013, 01:49:14 am »

Oh god, I can already hear the RAAAAAAGE if such a thing is announced  :-\
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5256 on: January 05, 2013, 01:52:32 am »

I, for one, think that they could continue along the current storyline, possibly doing the aftermath of the story. What happens now? What do we research? (Elerium, for one, could allow us to build super-reactors, allowing us to become a much more advanced civilization. Imagine hooking up the LHC to an Elerium reactor?) We could open up whole new branches of materials and high energy sciences, get something like the Alcubierre drive or something similar working, fusion reactors, and all kinds of military goodies.

I would much rather see this timeline fleshed out a lot more before TFTD. Heck, we never even got to Cydonia in this last effort!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5257 on: January 05, 2013, 01:59:50 am »

Maybe humanity could go on the offense, and it would be XCOM doing the alien abductions to some poor planet that has yet to leave their solar system?
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5258 on: January 05, 2013, 02:06:28 am »

The story hooks at the moment are that the Ethereals wanted Humanity to deal with "the coming threat", a scientist X-Com rescued is plotting the flight path the alliums took to get to Earth, and that Vahlen and Shen are a couple of years away from mass-producing Elerium.

From there, if I were in charge of the sequel, I'd say the next step is X-Com defending humanity's Elerium-fueled stellar expansion against "the coming threat" using our apparently rare combination of physical prowess and psionic ability (and unbeknownst to the Ethereals, rapid technological adaptation and unstoppable determination).
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 02:08:03 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
No Gods, No Masters.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5259 on: January 05, 2013, 02:09:07 am »

So...XCOM: Interceptor?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5260 on: January 05, 2013, 02:11:18 am »

Yes, but not terrible and not just ship combat. It should probably also cover the fall of the Ethereal Empire to "The Coming Threat".
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 02:16:37 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5261 on: January 05, 2013, 02:12:35 am »

Except we lack Eridium for interstellar flight.

We havn't had the game where we discovered more

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5262 on: January 05, 2013, 02:15:06 am »

As I mentioned above, there's a line about humanity being able to mass-produce Elerium on Earth, but that it just isn't going to happen within the timeline of the game.

I suppose it could start with an interstellar humanity fighting the Ethereal Empire, when their holdings on the edge of the Milky Way start to go dark...
No Gods, No Masters.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5263 on: January 05, 2013, 03:29:29 am »

That sounds like a interesting story and could make a good spin off strategy sim game or something, but I am unsure how that would translate to a X-Com game.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5264 on: January 05, 2013, 04:58:57 am »

Well yeah they scrapped content, it's a damn shame they didn't finish second wave. I think I've seen people get it working with modding, to some extent. Still though, would've loved the marathon mode it would have offered.
afaik cyberdiscs only have weapons so you can get weapon fragments. I think it's hardcoded to only drop fragments if the enemy is holding a weapon. Infact zombies and tyrannids have weapon to, I think zombies have a weapon called zombieFist or something, since the attack action is tied to a weapon rather then unit.

The story hooks at the moment are that the Ethereals wanted Humanity to deal with "the coming threat", a scientist X-Com rescued is plotting the flight path the alliums took to get to Earth, and that Vahlen and Shen are a couple of years away from mass-producing Elerium.

From there, if I were in charge of the sequel, I'd say the next step is X-Com defending humanity's Elerium-fueled stellar expansion against "the coming threat" using our apparently rare combination of physical prowess and psionic ability (and unbeknownst to the Ethereals, rapid technological adaptation and unstoppable determination).
Do want! Although I can't imagine the world not slipping into full out war in between nations as a result of the sudden arms race. The XCOM project being in the middle of said conflicts, being the nexus of new alien knowledge.

Wooh another attempt ruined. Cause: Terminal Bad Luck. Fucken dice got me again, I really liked this team to. Not much you can do if you miss all your shots and the enemy crits all theirs...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 06:12:57 am by Jelle »
Pages: 1 ... 349 350 [351] 352 353 ... 625