Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 345 346 [347] 348 349 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 959120 times)

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #5190 on: December 31, 2012, 12:31:43 pm »

The alloy cannon kills everything but you have to get to "in your face" close. When an enemy is flanked and someone is on overwatch, as long as two or more people are watching them, they won't move unless they can throw grenades at you.

You'll get to the point where blowing enemy cover will be the preferred tactic. Well, that's what I do.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5191 on: December 31, 2012, 01:34:04 pm »

Hurray at avoiding losing countries on the basis of a technicality!
Technicality? Allowing your people be attacked so you can charge in and save the day is a legitimate strategy in the real world. The panicking country needed a little reminder of why they need the X-Com. >:]

The alloy cannon kills everything but you have to get to "in your face" close.

Sure, if you GOT one. If he's still using the heavy laser, he probably hasn't researched enough plasma tech to arm his guys with alloy cannons. Researching plasma tech is an excellent idea, though, if you're looking to increase your soldiers' damage output, so I'd suggest the daring strategy of capturing those mutons ALIVE. Interrogating them gives you a research boost to weapons, and each muton comes with an intact plasma rifle you can study and then hand to your troops.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #5192 on: December 31, 2012, 02:53:00 pm »

Very useful tip:

If you have not seen Aliens, you cannot be attacked. On your first contact with a group Aliens, be it your turn or theirs, all they will do is move, never attack you. Only a group Aliens you have seen before can attack you.

You want to limit the group of Aliens you see as much as possible, to reduce the amount of guns pointed at you. If an Alien from a contact runs away, you really need to worry, since they can set up an actual ambush that could kill a soldier or two.

Also, here are some hotkeys:

y: Overwatch
r: Reload
b: Hunker Down

Mashing these keys and shift or tab keys can allow for mass Reload/Overwatch/Hunker Down.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5193 on: December 31, 2012, 03:11:35 pm »

I just got this game a few days ago and I have to say I'm really liking it. Started an Ironman game on normal difficulty, and only had one TPK so far. It feels easier than the old X-COM games, in that I mostly seem to lose soldiers when I play badly, instead of all the time for no reason. I'm sure it becomes increasingly unfair on the higher difficulty levels.
Step up to Classic if you want to see unfair. It is their attempt to replicate, as closely as possible, the difficulty level of UFO Defense and TFTD.
The alloy cannon kills everything but you have to get to "in your face" close.
In my experience, the alloy cannon is actually pretty long-range. For a shotgun, anyway.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5194 on: December 31, 2012, 03:13:34 pm »

I got the game for christmas. Now, all I need to finish the entire lineage of this series, is getting Apocalypse, Maybe Enforcer(Likely No), and also possibly Interceptor.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #5195 on: December 31, 2012, 03:16:33 pm »

I got the game for christmas. Now, all I need to finish the entire lineage of this series, is getting Apocalypse, Maybe Enforcer(Likely No), and also possibly Interceptor.
Yeah, no. Bad idea. :(

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5196 on: December 31, 2012, 03:16:49 pm »

If your playing the oldXCOM games, consider the new one an alternate universe.

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5197 on: December 31, 2012, 03:19:11 pm »

Besides, I can only play TFTD and the Original Enemy Unknown through a modified version of Dosbox(I use a mac Computer.) Getting the rest would just be a token way of showing my love of the franchise.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5198 on: December 31, 2012, 03:47:30 pm »

I tried to play Interceptor in a modern machine. Apparently there's a bug where space bases don't show up in defend/attack scenarios, and I don't remember seeing a fix.

That game is pretty kickass tho, for a spinoff.

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5199 on: December 31, 2012, 04:22:39 pm »

Why no After* games? When I finished new xcom, I've had power surge and replayed Afterlight and Aftershock to my greatest pleasure.
In Soviet Russia cigarette smokes you

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5200 on: December 31, 2012, 04:24:45 pm »

I'm not sure about the After- Series. Anyone know where I can get a version of them for mac?

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5201 on: January 02, 2013, 03:25:32 am »

Finally raided the base and shot down the overseer ship. Lost half my elite team from the raid. All my HEAT packing heavies and a support. Not bad.

Got my first psi, she's an assault.

The raid on the downed overseer ship was costly. Almost lost my psi and elite support. I had to face 4 elite mutons and 2 sectopods all at once. Besides the psi and support, everyone else was basically a rookie. Somehow, I manage to avoid most of the sectopod bombardment.

Then I faced down the ethereal and his guards. Somehow, during the entire shoot out in there, no one got shot. The sniper got mind controlled though but he was outside the room. The ethereal died from the assault double shot.

Anyways, that mission was not a total disaster thanks to the liberal use of stealth.

Hot damn. I call this one a success. I manage to move on and not lose all of my elite team.

What class makes the best psi?
Should I test my rookies or higher ranked soldiers?

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5202 on: January 02, 2013, 05:40:05 am »

What class makes the best psi?
Should I test my rookies or higher ranked soldiers?

Dunno.
Higher ranked soldiers both have more health, so they're less prone to dying, and have higher will, usually.
IIRC, higher will means a higher chance to be gifted.

Although, psi would give the rookies a steady source of damage.
Also often called Boowells.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #5203 on: January 02, 2013, 10:55:59 am »

Personally, both of my psi soldiers were supports.

Worked fairly well. The Psi-Sheild thingy worked like a smoke grenade while mind control would be used to form distractions.

Also, how well does Psi-Panic work? I'm iffy about it, mainly due to feeling that it will simply give the Aliens a free turn to shoot at me early.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5204 on: January 02, 2013, 11:29:42 am »

How well does this captire the feeling of the original?  Does the world still seem to end when a shot misses?
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.
Pages: 1 ... 345 346 [347] 348 349 ... 625