Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 344 345 [346] 347 348 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 959122 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #5175 on: December 30, 2012, 10:22:49 pm »

Might as well go straight for Impossible Ironman. It can and has been done without losing a single nation to the xenos scum.

What? Which lucky/haxing bastard did this?

I can't even see it being possible with all the panic, you can't get enough satellites and control rooms up in time, it is literally impossible because you have to wait for engineers as well.
The opening strategy is as such: Be the United States, don't spend any money, use your first abduction mission to get Engineers. Satellites will be 77 a piece, and you'll be able to afford three. Start selling stuff until you have enough money for an uplink and use the adjacency bonus on your existing one. Viola, you'll have capacity for two satellites and they'll be launchable right before the month ends. Put them up over the nations you didn't help. Wash, rinse, repeat, and never lose a mission. Use your growing surplus for upgrades, but never cut into the Satellite Expansion Fund, no matter what. Once the whole world is covered, or at least only a single continent is uncovered, things become much easier as the aliens have no hope of increasing panic outside of terror missions or a timely satellite destruction.

There's a bit of leeway, but only if you get lucky on the Council missions or are prepared to assault the Base.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 10:26:10 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5176 on: December 30, 2012, 11:31:54 pm »

That still doesnt work, the engineers you get from an abduction mission aren't enough to build a 2nd satellite uplink, it is impossible to get a 2nd uplink built before the 1st month ends, you will need to build a workshop or wait for 2nd abduction mission or hope you get some council mission/grey market deal for engineers which is highly unlikely and is a strategy built purely on hope.

Even then with not losing missions it's pretty hard to save satellites in the 2nd month because of all the money being funnelled into satellite uplink and satellites that leaves little money for interceptors and upgrades which leaves satellites at more risk to be shot down.

This seems to be a 'when the stars align' type of thing to get it so no nations leave.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5177 on: December 30, 2012, 11:35:00 pm »

My mistake, I left out building the workshop. You are supposed to do that as well. You're guaranteed a Council mission in the first month, so getting the money is possible with lots of selling on the Grey Market.

Satellites being shot down doesn't trigger until after a certain point, I think. I've never seen satellite hunters before the Base.

As for interceptor upgrades, it's a self-solving problem. Every month your disposable income increases substantially due to the increased satellite coverage, and the interceptors can last the first two months without an upgrade. By then you'll have enough for all the Phoenix Cannons you desire. From there, use defense modules to support the interceptors until you reach laser cannons.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 11:38:50 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5178 on: December 30, 2012, 11:40:07 pm »

You still don't have time, you can't get a 2nd uplink in the first month, not unless you get engineers as reward for council mission, and even then depending on the date comes around it might still be too late.

The whole strategy reeks of hope and I really won't believe it until I see the video evidence (even then I will be wary).

Losing 0 nations on Ironman Impossible is Impossible.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5179 on: December 30, 2012, 11:41:58 pm »

It isn't impossible, it just requires a lot of luck. Given that it really isn't supposed to be possible, you shouldn't be surprised.
No Gods, No Masters.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5180 on: December 30, 2012, 11:46:49 pm »

I didn't lose any nations my first month of an ironman impossible!

It... went down hill from there, to be honest.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5181 on: December 30, 2012, 11:53:54 pm »

As it usually does. The task is significantly easier if you abandon the Ironman part, but where's the masochism in that?

It also helps if you never have any teleporting Sectopods. God, I remember my teleporting Sectopod. Barely avoided a total party kill. That was also the mission I learned to hate SHIVs, as one being exploded by the Telepod instantly killed a Colonel.
No Gods, No Masters.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #5182 on: December 30, 2012, 11:55:26 pm »

I thought my classic ironman run was going very well, but when i won and didnt get the achievement, i realized that i somehow must have clicked standard ironman somehow. It was very disappointing.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5183 on: December 30, 2012, 11:58:25 pm »

Hence why it went very well.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5184 on: December 31, 2012, 12:00:04 am »

Now I have been thinking.

Wouldn't you want satalytes being shot down if you have the money and spares? since it essentially resets the satalyte bonus?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5185 on: December 31, 2012, 12:09:07 am »

Not really. Solidifying a continent against further panic gains is more valuable.
No Gods, No Masters.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5186 on: December 31, 2012, 09:45:16 am »

I just got this game a few days ago and I have to say I'm really liking it. Started an Ironman game on normal difficulty, and only had one TPK so far. It feels easier than the old X-COM games, in that I mostly seem to lose soldiers when I play badly, instead of all the time for no reason. I'm sure it becomes increasingly unfair on the higher difficulty levels.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5187 on: December 31, 2012, 11:06:59 am »

Actually, I HAVE wanted a sat shot down before. Had the country under the sat panicking, detected an incoming ship and... well, let's just say I let him destroy the sat and immediately threw up another. Hurray at avoiding losing countries on the basis of a technicality!

(I didn't have full control of the continent yet, and /gaining/ full control didn't reduce their panic)

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5188 on: December 31, 2012, 12:23:34 pm »

I picked the game up recently, it's amazing fun. I'm on my 5th attempt so far, all have been on classic non-ironman, in case of bugs and such. My latest playthrough was going well for a while but I feel like I've fallen behind, I just finished a mission that had 12 mutons and everything but my heavy laser and sniper were pretty much ineffectual against them. Is there any particular tactic for dealing with them other than lots of firepower?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5189 on: December 31, 2012, 12:29:51 pm »

Flanking is good, as is getting rid of their cover. While grenades won't do much damage against them, they're great for opening the Mutons up. Rockets also help a lot, especially if you can get more than 1 group in the blast.

Otherwise, try not to let them overwhelm you. Fall back to better cover and see if you can get situations where only one or two of them is actually engaged on any given round. Also, keep your troops spread out to avoid the grenade damage.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 344 345 [346] 347 348 ... 625