Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 318 319 [320] 321 322 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 959516 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #4785 on: November 14, 2012, 06:11:33 pm »

Just remember, if you get a terror mission with Chrysies, kill the civilians first. There's no way that Firaxis has changed things enough for that to be a bad idea. In fact, flatten as many of the buildings as possible with explosives, because that also seems like it will continue to be a good idea.

Well, save at least 1 first. Then you can flatten everything.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4786 on: November 14, 2012, 06:16:56 pm »

Just remember, if you get a terror mission with Chrysies, kill the civilians first. There's no way that Firaxis has changed things enough for that to be a bad idea. In fact, flatten as many of the buildings as possible with explosives, because that also seems like it will continue to be a good idea.

Yeah, that's the thing.  Since you can remove people from the playing field by doing something *nice* to them, you might as well do that.  Although it seems like there's actually even *less* of a repercussion for killing civvies in NewCOM than there was in OldCOM, since the point system doesn't seem to have much to do with your end-of-month rating.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4787 on: November 14, 2012, 06:23:14 pm »

Yeah, that's the thing.  Since you can remove people from the playing field by doing something *nice* to them, you might as well do that.  Although it seems like there's actually even *less* of a repercussion for killing civvies in NewCOM than there was in OldCOM, since the point system doesn't seem to have much to do with your end-of-month rating.
A heavy plas shot to the face (or, I suppose, A REALISTIC REALISM BULLET FROM GUNS MADE BY TONKA) seems nice in comparison to having your chest cavity penetrated by a spiky alien menace, turning you into a mindless zombie.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4788 on: November 14, 2012, 06:26:09 pm »

A heavy plas shot to the face (or, I suppose, A REALISTIC REALISM BULLET FROM GUNS MADE BY TONKA) seems nice in comparison to having your chest cavity penetrated by a spiky alien menace, turning you into a mindless zombie.

Ah, but plasma burns, and burning is one of the most intensely painful experiences known to flammable creatures.  For all we know, chryssies may use some kind of anaesthetic...

...yeah.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4789 on: November 14, 2012, 06:27:30 pm »

Well, the victims do sort of go limp when the chryssalid stabs them and lifts them up.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4790 on: November 14, 2012, 06:28:15 pm »

If you take a heavy plasma shot to your unarmored face, you aren't going to be feeling anything at all, I can promise you that.

Well, the victims do sort of go limp when the chryssalid stabs them and lifts them up.
Trying really hard to avoid making a dirty joke here.

3. Run Resize Enable

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #4791 on: November 14, 2012, 06:30:50 pm »

In a terror mission with two chrisalid group and a cyberdisc all discovered in the same turn *I* panicked and flattened the city woth the three heavies and a lot of supplemental grenades from the others.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4792 on: November 14, 2012, 06:36:55 pm »

I'll be honest, one of the big disappointments for me with NewX-Com is the apparent lack of situations where you have your first guy step one tile out onto the ramp of the Skyranger and see three mutons loitering around nearby, and then get reaction-fired in the back. It isn't a real op if you don't need to jump from the broken edge of the troop compartment into a scorched circle filled with the corpses of those that went before.  :P

3. Run Resize Enable

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4793 on: November 14, 2012, 08:19:30 pm »

I'd agree, but the game is hard enough (for me) already.
can't even beat normal ironmode.
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4794 on: November 14, 2012, 08:40:59 pm »

Say, has anyone progressed far enough to determine how the psy stuff measures up?

3. Run Resize Enable

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4795 on: November 14, 2012, 09:23:25 pm »

It is op like the original but less so.

If you can manage to hold off to get 3 or more psi operatives then you have won the game regardless, especially if they are heavies because your only worry will be robots and the one ethereal on any mission. With 3 psi soldiers you can mindcontrol a muton/floater squad and just use them to finish the map.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4796 on: November 14, 2012, 09:29:28 pm »

Say, has anyone progressed far enough to determine how the psy stuff measures up?

The first power (psi-blast) hits for 5 points of damage, and doesn't care about cover, so a high-will psyker can blast down mutons in heavy cover. Also good for captures, since it doesn't crit.

Second power opens up two options, of which I've only ever tried one - Psi-courage - which boosts will of nearby troops and stops panic. Handy. The other option is Psi-panic, which I've heard iffy things about, since the aliens will react the same way your troops do (ie, there's a good chance you'll just cause the alien to shoot at your guys.)

Third power again opens two options, again of which I've only tried one - Psi-control - which allows you to take over an enemy troop and use it for your own for three turns. Very fun to do with Mutons. The other power puts up a psi- deflection shield that raises defense for everything nearby, basically acting like a high-volume smoke.

Then there's the:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4797 on: November 14, 2012, 10:50:08 pm »

I love psi-panic. It's a lovely thing when you cause one Muton to panic enough to shoot his/its buddy in the face and kill him/it.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #4798 on: November 14, 2012, 10:54:01 pm »

Then there's the:

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4799 on: November 14, 2012, 11:15:16 pm »

Then there's the:

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 318 319 [320] 321 322 ... 625