Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 959473 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #4815 on: November 17, 2012, 06:13:54 pm »

Yeah. The old Xcom got really really slow for me at many points. This one? Missions go by fast enough to keep me interested.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #4816 on: November 17, 2012, 06:42:17 pm »

hmmm. I got a game freeze just now. Not really a game freeze. THe cursor moves and the idle animations cycle and the music plays. But I can't do anything. It happened when is big red jugernaught looking dude charged up to my guy. He was previously caught in a shredder missile aoe, took an overwatch shot and then took another shot when he got within 4 tiles of my assault woman. Then the game stopped responding.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #4817 on: November 17, 2012, 06:44:20 pm »

That's still happening? That's the major reason I gave the game a break. Stupid berserkers and their figurative game table flipping.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4818 on: November 17, 2012, 06:49:11 pm »

Woohoo, just beat the base mission and killed the first commander, in a Classic Ironman game that's actually going /well/. Not a single country lost, plenty of captures, research chugging along.

To avoid super frustration, I've been savescumming whenever the game interferface decides to screw up (which is pretty often, my computer isn't great). Not that I have a choice most of the time. Ugh - two times in that mission alone it was just "welp, you can't do anything anymore! Have fun with NOTHING!" - probably the same thing described above, except without the berserker component. Just bluh.

And I'm getting really really tired of shooting at people or throwing grenades, and then after I confirm... it changes the target to something/somewhere else and does something else completely.

BUT, ignoring restarts for interface glitches, I've been running a clean game, and it feels good to have accomplished this much. I've still got a ways to go (managed to beat the base before berserkers showed up this time, though I did take out a cyberdisk) but at least I've gotten this far with HOPE this time.

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4819 on: November 17, 2012, 10:29:49 pm »

OMG, this IS a game design masterpiece. Seriously, all tedium is gone, and all edges curved out perfectly. I have no idea about story/detalization flaws, but tactical combat done perfectly, no doubt.

To many things to say, but wait... I better to continue to play, sorry.

Is this a joke? The game still has quite a few rough edges.

You will notice enemies doing impossible shots, a few missing details and equipment, and glitches galor.

It isn't so bad... but "Design masterpeices with no rough edges" is sort of pushing it.

These have nothing to do with game design.
Simple example. Dragon Age 2 is incredible in game design, alot better than first part, probably best in ARPG right now in that area, but very poor in everything else, so, pretty subpar game. You got the idea? I never said that new XCOM is masterpiece as a whole.
In Soviet Russia cigarette smokes you

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4820 on: November 17, 2012, 10:46:07 pm »

OMG, this IS a game design masterpiece. Seriously, all tedium is gone, and all edges curved out perfectly. I have no idea about story/detalization flaws, but tactical combat done perfectly, no doubt.

To many things to say, but wait... I better to continue to play, sorry.

Is this a joke? The game still has quite a few rough edges.

You will notice enemies doing impossible shots, a few missing details and equipment, and glitches galor.

It isn't so bad... but "Design masterpeices with no rough edges" is sort of pushing it.

Simple example. Dragon Age 2 is incredible in game design, alot better than first part, probably best in ARPG right now in that area, but very poor in everything else, so, pretty subpar game. You got the idea? I never said that new XCOM is masterpiece as a whole.

"The products of game design have nothing to do with game design."

???

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4821 on: November 17, 2012, 11:00:20 pm »

There's a lot of potential there that went untapped, but all in all, it's a lot better than I expected. Not quite as good as I had hoped (especially the ending,) but better than expected.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4822 on: November 17, 2012, 11:55:36 pm »

There's a lot of potential there that went untapped, but all in all, it's a lot better than I expected. Not quite as good as I had hoped (especially the ending,) but better than expected.
This.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4823 on: November 18, 2012, 12:17:16 am »

I still need to make a video of how throwing works to send to Firaxis. Stupid noodle-arm soldiers. *grumble grumble*

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4824 on: November 18, 2012, 12:17:54 am »

It's probably going to be a "wait for a sale" deal for me. Hopefully Firaxis will have cleaned up most of the problems by then.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4825 on: November 18, 2012, 12:56:17 am »

Honestly, besides Heavies having cover problems after a certain rank and the rare freezes, I don't see many problems appear in my 1 and 1/2 runthroughs.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #4826 on: November 18, 2012, 01:30:40 am »

Seems there is a bug with disappearing armor. I've gone through the barracks to check each of my 18 soldiers. I have built 6 armors, and used all 6 in my last mission, and nobody died. I can now find only 4. I've gone through the barracks to check each of my 18 soldiers.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4827 on: November 18, 2012, 01:46:21 am »

I am not really going to argue if the game is good or not, since it is good.

My statement was simply that the game is no where close to as polished as someone indicated.

Xcom: Enemy Unknown shows some very telling signs that it was rushed.

Yeah I am going to have to side with others in the "What did you mean" department.

I mean I know I can be vague when I seperate "Raw Gameplay" with "Gameplay", but... I am not sure what you mean.

Hopefully Firaxis will have cleaned up most of the problems by then

The glitches are mostly fine, since SHIVs are outdated by Captain level soldiers (Their lack of ability to take cover being a distinct liability along with the fact that they may be cheap but they arn't "That cheap")

It is the problems that arn't linked to glitches that will likely never be fixed.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4828 on: November 18, 2012, 11:09:05 am »

I've never had any of the problems you guys mention while playing on my Xbox 360. Funny how that works. ???

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4829 on: November 18, 2012, 12:47:19 pm »

I've never had any of the problems you guys mention while playing on my Xbox 360. Funny how that works. ???
I've never had any of the problems they mention while playing on my PC either. :)
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 625