Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 960511 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #3810 on: October 16, 2012, 07:36:58 pm »

Probably the best way to kill a powerful alien is to run an assault up and blast it in the face with your best-tech shotgun. If you have rapid-fire, even better.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3811 on: October 16, 2012, 07:42:37 pm »

assaults with laser scatterguns are a muton's worst enemy.
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3812 on: October 16, 2012, 07:47:28 pm »

Huh. I may actually start using shotguns.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3813 on: October 16, 2012, 07:56:14 pm »

Huh. I may actually start using shotguns.
You probably should. Run & Gun + Rapid Fire + Decent Shotgun = Dead Alien 99% of the time. Each shot, if you get close enough, has a 100% hit rate and something like a 75% crit rate without any extra skills or equipment that improve either.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3814 on: October 16, 2012, 07:58:53 pm »

In the foundry there is the drone capture thing, has anyone used this yet? I want to capture a sectopod but is it going to be one of those things where I have to get it low hp? It's a bitch just getting close to them without dying and a sectopod with 6 hp is going to be useless unless I can repair it afterwards. Maybe I should do my testing on easy or normal mode but then it's just not fun :P

Nah it doesn't work. I was hoping to capture mechanical units for interrogation, but you can only hack the drones, and they aren't actually captured like the other aliens, they vanish at the end of the mission.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3815 on: October 16, 2012, 08:00:53 pm »

Can't capture the mechanical aliens unfortunately. Not that it matters much, since there's no interrogation techs for them in the game files anyway.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3816 on: October 16, 2012, 08:04:38 pm »

I think the hope was that you could then use them like shivs. :P

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3817 on: October 16, 2012, 08:36:25 pm »

Probably the best way to kill a powerful alien is to run an assault up and blast it in the face with your best-tech shotgun. If you have rapid-fire, even better.

Thats what I said before. Shotguns are surprisingly powerful.

The Problem comes when you somehow miss, however.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3818 on: October 16, 2012, 08:40:02 pm »

Dunno why everyone's so surprised about the shottie's power :P

Maybe it's just because my first ever squaddie was an assault and I never knew you could switch to an assault rifle, but I've always known they were amazing.

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3819 on: October 16, 2012, 08:40:45 pm »

God I hate Chryssalids.
Fucking 9 of them at the same time, at the very beginning of the mission. With 6 floaters as support. Most spent their turn killing and turning civilians or poisoning my assault/brutally murdering one of my heavies.
God damn.

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3820 on: October 16, 2012, 08:45:38 pm »

A good anti-chrysalid strategy is to have an assault with a shotty and the "free reaction shot within 4 tiles" perk.  Toss a SCOPE on him for better accuracy and crits, then post him up in a chokepoint.  Many dead chrysalids.  Works somewhat well against berserkers, too, but unless you've got two guys with Alloy Cannons you're not going to get a 1-hit kill and will probably be on the wrong end of a mauling. 
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3821 on: October 16, 2012, 08:49:14 pm »

A good anti-chrysalid strategy is to have an assault with a shotty and the "free reaction shot within 4 tiles" perk.  Toss a SCOPE on him for better accuracy and crits, then post him up in a chokepoint.  Many dead chrysalids.  Works somewhat well against berserkers, too, but unless you've got two guys with Alloy Cannons you're not going to get a 1-hit kill and will probably be on the wrong end of a mauling.
That strategy would still work, actually. Have someone behind the assault shoot the berserker to draw it in range of the perk triggering radius. The berserker does not respond to damage from reaction fire and will keep moving towards whoever drew it.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3822 on: October 16, 2012, 09:07:53 pm »

God I hate Chryssalids.
Fucking 9 of them at the same time, at the very beginning of the mission. With 6 floaters as support. Most spent their turn killing and turning civilians or poisoning my assault/brutally murdering one of my heavies.
God damn.

That's why I load up on heavies during base and terror missions. Got a bunch of Chryssalids spawning zombies everywhere? Just rocket spam them and kill all the civilians around them.

I normally avoid bringing in assaults, because I never have enough.. unless it's to give them a shotgun. Support's also not that handy; terror missions are short bursts and you'll end up continually shooting with no time to heal anyone. Maybe ok to keep your guys from spawning into zombies.

Though what I hate about heavies is that they're always low on ammo.

I don't really like shotguns, though. By the time you get a laser scattergun, you could already unlock a (non-light) plasma rifle. They're kinda awesome against big guys, but idk, they seem to die a lot running into close range like that.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3823 on: October 16, 2012, 09:15:00 pm »

My assaults have short lifespans, but their lives are full of rushing and blowing away aliens (which is probably why they die quickly :P), easily getting a couple kills at least per mission. I love assaults with all my heart but never got higher than scatter lasers so far.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3824 on: October 16, 2012, 09:22:11 pm »

Hey, has anyone noticed that mind controlled aliens that die leave intact weapons? Because this is the second time now that I've gotten intact weapons after using mind control on an enemy and having that enemy die.

Also, my god plasma snipers with Double Tap and 115 aim are scary.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 625