Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 960497 times)

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #3795 on: October 16, 2012, 05:43:24 pm »

You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3796 on: October 16, 2012, 05:44:04 pm »

I'm starting to think that with my current rules (I'm part of every squad unless injured or otherwise incapacitated, and I have to be kept alive) I am never going to finish this game.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3797 on: October 16, 2012, 05:53:28 pm »

In the foundry there is the drone capture thing, has anyone used this yet? I want to capture a sectopod but is it going to be one of those things where I have to get it low hp? It's a bitch just getting close to them without dying and a sectopod with 6 hp is going to be useless unless I can repair it afterwards. Maybe I should do my testing on easy or normal mode but then it's just not fun :P

Sorry, but this won't work (well, I don't think it will; haven't tried it personally).  There are 3 mechanical units - Sectopods, Cyberdisks & Drones.  The drone is the Half-Life 2 shutterbug thing, with 3 health & the low damage zap attack.  But if I'm wrong, let us know. :P

The only issue i have with overwatch, is when 2 aliens are running by and all of my guys focus on the same one. I wish the game would simulate the whole thing beforehand and redistribute overwatch fire instead of overkilling 1 alien and ignoring the other.

Well, you can force this... you just have to pay attention to ranges.  I don't think weapons have a "range", just an "optimal range".  IE, if you can see it, you'll shoot, regardless of whether you're using a sniper rifle, assault rifle, shotgun or pistol.

However, you can force this.  Imagine a long hallway, with a charging Chrysalid.

....A...
......... (imagine multiple rows here, out to max attack range)
.XXXX. (Squad set up in a line)

Here, all 4 of your guys will do reaction fire on this alien.  However...

....A....
.......... (imagine multiple rows here, out to max attack range)
..X..X.. (Squad set up as two fire teams, with a bit of space between the lead & rear pair)
..X..X..

Now, only your lead two guys will do reaction fire; if they kill it, the back pair will not.  If they don't, it will continue charging into more reaction fire.
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3798 on: October 16, 2012, 05:56:57 pm »

I'm starting to think that with my current rules (I'm part of every squad unless injured or otherwise incapacitated, and I have to be kept alive) I am never going to finish this game.

I hear you. I have a group of 'Main' characters in my current Classic run that are based off the Knight Sabres from Bubblegum Crisis. My only rule has been that they all have to survive.

It's taking sooooooo much longer to play than my Ironman run. I'm doing better, of course, but I think I enjoyed Ironman more. I got really sick of a few missions that I'd have won several times except that a main character died.

Saving periodically during a mission helps, though.

Been thinking about what I want to do for my next game, modding-wise. This one I'm going to finish Vanilla, but after that...things need to change a bit.

1st, All soldiers will be able to take Assault Rifles and Shotguns. Doesn't really make sense that your Sniper can't have an Assault rifle if you really want, and it's not like they can use their class abilities with one. So it shouldn't be broken at all.

2nd, Abduction and Terror UFO's need to show up so you can shoot them down. I hate how arbitrary the Abduction missions feel right now, and this will help with that.

3rd, I think it's possible to fix the HP bug for recruits with modding, so I'll do that as well. Having to remember to set my game to Classic every time I hire troops doesn't sound like it'll work well for me.

With that, and a few of the Second Wave options enabled, I think I'll be a bit happier about the game.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3799 on: October 16, 2012, 06:03:50 pm »

I don't understand why it would matter if the alien can flank the soldier with that plan.
In case you miss.
If you manage to miss 3+ times and die to a suppressed alien in one hit despite being smoked, there's... honestly not much you can do to prevent that, I'm gonna be honest. That's the risk you take to capture a live alien, I guess? (Really to do basically anything though)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3800 on: October 16, 2012, 06:06:17 pm »

Is it just me, or are Ethereals (and sometimes Sectoid Commanders) really hard to hit? Even my best snipers at long distances or best assaults with shotguns at point-blank range can't get 100% odds, and it's worse for everyone else.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3801 on: October 16, 2012, 06:08:50 pm »

Are there any really good mods out there, yet? All I'm finding is pretty much my question. My google-fu is weak. ;_;

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3802 on: October 16, 2012, 06:10:02 pm »

Are there any really good mods out there, yet? All I'm finding is pretty much my question. My google-fu is weak. ;_;
Second Wave is supposed to be pretty cool.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3803 on: October 16, 2012, 06:35:01 pm »

XCOM goes on a beer run.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Operation Cryptic Rain." That name is surprisingly fitting.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3804 on: October 16, 2012, 06:37:03 pm »

XCOM goes on a beer run.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Operation Cryptic Rain." That name is surprisingly fitting.
In Sapporo, no less. (Not going to explain the reference unless you need me to.)

Second Wave is supposed to be pretty cool.
Grazi. I'll take a look at the mods there. Nexus always has good stuff.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3805 on: October 16, 2012, 06:53:26 pm »

I always wondered how Nexus could afford to stay up and / or pay maintenance costs. It's such a cool site and there don't seem to be any download or upload limits either. You don't see many of these kind of things these days.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3806 on: October 16, 2012, 07:00:16 pm »

I always wondered how Nexus could afford to stay up and / or pay maintenance costs. It's such a cool site and there don't seem to be any download or upload limits either. You don't see many of these kind of things these days.

Nexus sites are maintained through advertising and voluntary donations made through a Premium Member scheme. Users of the site can pay for upgraded account features such as no advertising, faster download speeds and download manager support. Having said this all files on the site are accessible to all members regardless of whether they are premium members or not. Premium membership is to Nexus sites as 1st Class is to airplane journeys.

I imagine that when serious modders saw that Nexus was still going strong after Oblivion, and expanding into several games where mods are vital, they upped for a premium membership. Since any mod's popularity automatically comes with cost because of bandwidth. What I like about the Nexus is the advertising is rarely if ever even noticeable.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3807 on: October 16, 2012, 07:03:30 pm »

In the foundry there is the drone capture thing, has anyone used this yet? I want to capture a sectopod but is it going to be one of those things where I have to get it low hp? It's a bitch just getting close to them without dying and a sectopod with 6 hp is going to be useless unless I can repair it afterwards. Maybe I should do my testing on easy or normal mode but then it's just not fun :P

Sorry, but this won't work (well, I don't think it will; haven't tried it personally).  There are 3 mechanical units - Sectopods, Cyberdisks & Drones.  The drone is the Half-Life 2 shutterbug thing, with 3 health & the low damage zap attack.  But if I'm wrong, let us know. :P

You may be right, but !!SCIENCE!! demands I must try, of course should be able to tell if stun circle appears only on drones or on sectopod as well so don't have to be too risky.

Captured Drone + SHIV might be an interesting combination.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3808 on: October 16, 2012, 07:20:26 pm »

1st, All soldiers will be able to take Assault Rifles and Shotguns. Doesn't really make sense that your Sniper can't have an Assault rifle if you really want, and it's not like they can use their class abilities with one. So it shouldn't be broken at all.

Heavy has LMG which is pretty decent, only downside is if you have plasma rifles but only normal LMG. Support and Assault both can use the rifles and Sniper can get gunslinger perk which makes pistol equal to an assault rifle, better even if you consider that pistol has no need to reload, the gunslinger perk is pretty good and damn good ground is nice perk but not that amazing as you already have elevation bonus, but is useful if your sniping with no cover in a high place.

What annoys me is lack of inventory in battle, if your guy holding the medkit dies or gets incapacitated and you have backpack slot free you should be able to get it, same for grenades (why not rockets if you have more then one heavy), pretty much anything in backpack slot. Maybe primary weapons as well if you only have one plasma rifle or something.

EDIT:

Also wtf, found out Laser Scatter (Laser Shotgun) has same range as rifles, I just thought it was Alloy Cannon which had good range, I didn't bother building any Laser Scatters because I was equipping my Assaults with rifles, but now they can use Laser Scatter with same effect.... time to change my strategy!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 07:24:56 pm by Sharp »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3809 on: October 16, 2012, 07:34:05 pm »

Laser scatter has a considerable accuracy falloff after a certain range, but yeah, it's no doom shotgun. I believe its main advantage is a higher crit chance, not to mention better damage than equivalent tech rifles.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 625