Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 251 252 [253] 254 255 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 960538 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #3780 on: October 16, 2012, 04:10:49 pm »

what's the safest approach to arc throw an enemy?
Weaken with non-critting attacks like disarm and grenades
Then, in one turn:
suppress, smoke, keep backup actions on reserve for emergency, run shocker up and shock (preferably staying in cover if possible), and then kill alien if it doesn't work.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #3781 on: October 16, 2012, 04:17:52 pm »

the problem is that if the shocker can run to the alien, the alien can flank the soldier.

until crippling shots, I've used the smoke grenade to run up close, but it is still quite random.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3782 on: October 16, 2012, 04:20:11 pm »

I don't understand why it would matter if the alien can flank the soldier with that plan.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3783 on: October 16, 2012, 04:24:58 pm »

I don't understand why it would matter if the alien can flank the soldier with that plan.
In case you miss. Also on my newwest playtrought im playing classic marathon with some other option and man... the very first research takes 24days!!!! You NEED to build facilities, everything takes longuer and cost much more. But to balance that most of the items you get from mission sell also for more. So ifar im loving it and only have a few casualties.

Man i cant wait untill they can make full fledge mods.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3784 on: October 16, 2012, 04:33:37 pm »

the problem is that if the shocker can run to the alien, the alien can flank the soldier.

Not if you suppress them.  In my experience, most of the time suppression causes the alien to choose to stay where it is, and it will fire (at penalty) at the nearest target which is usually the shocker. 
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3785 on: October 16, 2012, 04:36:27 pm »

Is there a way to turn damage indicators off?  After this game ends (one way or another!) I want to play with the second wave option that makes damage more random, and turn off enemy health bars.  Figure that plus some options that make soldier's stats more random should make the game much more unpredictable.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3786 on: October 16, 2012, 04:43:45 pm »

Not if you suppress them.  In my experience, most of the time suppression causes the alien to choose to stay where it is, and it will fire (at penalty) at the nearest target which is usually the shocker. 

Oddly enough I find overwatch to work much like suppression, stops them from moving, just without the aim penalty.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3787 on: October 16, 2012, 04:57:06 pm »

Is there a way to turn damage indicators off?  After this game ends (one way or another!) I want to play with the second wave option that makes damage more random, and turn off enemy health bars.  Figure that plus some options that make soldier's stats more random should make the game much more unpredictable.

I think there's actually an option for that inside the options menu, in the interface tab I think.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3788 on: October 16, 2012, 05:00:36 pm »

Also, fuck it, I give up for now. Anyone who can do classic ironman is a lucky son of a bitch.  I just got critted by a sectoid, I was behind high cover, it was a fair distance away and I had hunkered down. Crazy hard.
That should be impossible. Hunkering down behind cover grants immunity to critical hits.

Should, but it doesn't. Hunker down is bugged I think. It'll help with making the aliens shoot at a "less covered" soldier though.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3789 on: October 16, 2012, 05:22:11 pm »

I finally noticed something that had been bugging me since I got the game.  The maps are tiny.  Even compared to the UFO games.  I mean, they feel bigger because you're slogging through cover all the time, but I just did a hostage rescue mission where, after clearing out the aliens, I got the target from where he started to the extraction zone in 2 dashes.  It's not even an engine limitation, because the alien battleships (most fun mission ever, btw) and the final mission are 3-4x the size of most normal missions. 
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3790 on: October 16, 2012, 05:28:10 pm »

Also, fuck it, I give up for now. Anyone who can do classic ironman is a lucky son of a bitch.  I just got critted by a sectoid, I was behind high cover, it was a fair distance away and I had hunkered down. Crazy hard.
That should be impossible. Hunkering down behind cover grants immunity to critical hits.

Should, but it doesn't. Hunker down is bugged I think. It'll help with making the aliens shoot at a "less covered" soldier though.

You might want to submit a bug report on that, then.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3791 on: October 16, 2012, 05:31:28 pm »

After playing my "Second Wave" game, I made an unpleasant discovery. As it turns out Marathon mode increases research time... but not the amount of time before aliens spawn. I'm literally getting my first terror mission and I haven't even researched Arc Throwers yet!
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3792 on: October 16, 2012, 05:34:08 pm »

This Muton picked a really bad time to wander over that hill.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

XCOM goes on a beer run.

Also does one of the ambient music played when there are no aliens in sight sound like one of the tracks from Spore to anyone else?
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #3793 on: October 16, 2012, 05:34:30 pm »

So, has anyone experienced disco boogey music?

I heard what was definitely disco music for a split second when i loaded a mission. Throughout this mission, which I'm still in, I can hear disco music whenever the camera gets close to a muton for an action shot. Please tell me I'm not the only one who's had this happen.
Zooming in on some buildings causes you to hear fitting music. Bars play rock music, stuff like that.
So that's what that was. I found it absolutely hilarious. I would spot snakemen from outside, it would zoom to them for their close-ups, and simultaneously DISCO MUSIC TIEM. Most chill snakemen ever.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #3794 on: October 16, 2012, 05:37:02 pm »

This Muton picked a really bad time to wander over that hill.
Heh, reminds me of that poor outsider from a recent mission. I know where he is from the sound, and position all 6 squad members right outside the door. Enable overwatch for all but one. That one then opens the door. Poor outsider bastard spawns, sees them, and tries to run away, only to be shot in the back before making 2 steps.
Pages: 1 ... 251 252 [253] 254 255 ... 625