Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 960984 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #3045 on: October 11, 2012, 01:04:30 pm »

Heh, I highly recommend all new players to jump straight into classic iron man though. I mean, this is clearly how it's meant to be played. All the other modes have no tension at all, and impossible is pretty ridiculous. But classic has it right.

There's no point in playing this game if you're not afraid of every move and every mouseclick, in my opinion. It's when you have such disasterous situations (2 rookies vs 5 floaters, let's do this!) that you remember the impossible actions your soldiers did to overcome them.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #3046 on: October 11, 2012, 01:14:22 pm »

what the fuck is with all these updates? This is unbearable.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3047 on: October 11, 2012, 01:22:04 pm »

Well, nice to see this remake is inspiring a decent amount of game chatter.  I must say, I had some severe reservations about how this would turn out back when I saw some of the old videos.  How would y'all say that this fits in to what an old and  EU/TFTD nerd would enjoy?  Thinking of seeing what the demo has to offer anyways, if it'll play on this machine, but I'd like to hear some more seasoned opinions on similarities and differences.

Also, someone mentioned a glitchalid.  Was that Kiko's first or second attempt?  I'm about a third through his second attempt, was wondering if I'd forgotten something from when I watched the Antartica challenge.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3048 on: October 11, 2012, 01:31:01 pm »

It's not without problems, but neither was the original.  Some elements are very gamey, but overall it's awesome, and does capture the old XCOM feel.
Shoes...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3049 on: October 11, 2012, 01:32:25 pm »

Spoilers related to previous one:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #3050 on: October 11, 2012, 01:33:13 pm »

Also, someone mentioned a glitchalid.  Was that Kiko's first or second attempt?  I'm about a third through his second attempt, was wondering if I'd forgotten something from when I watched the Antartica challenge.
I think it was either episode 51 or 61 of his second playthrough.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3051 on: October 11, 2012, 01:37:26 pm »

Turns out that Socks is the only one on the entire team who didn't earn a promotion, despite his heroic actions. The world just isn't fair  :P

ETA: On the other hand, Hellsing is now a colonel. Good work, soldier! I think the queen will be granting him a knighthood any day now :D
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 01:40:40 pm by Sirus »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3052 on: October 11, 2012, 01:49:55 pm »

It's not without problems, but neither was the original.  Some elements are very gamey, but overall it's awesome, and does capture the old XCOM feel.

Haha, no, I'm well aware that the original was not seamless.  But I did like that they attempted to focus on detailed game mechanics in order to create a very complex and dynamic battlefield experience (including their well-meaning but hilariously flawed attempt at modelling the true efficacy of fire, the important effects of projectile tracking, and the very interesting intricacy of reactions).  I also liked how you could effectively custom-tailor soldiers and "classes" by specifically equipping individuals with the items you needed in that situation and according to their unique combination of skills and traits.  This more rigid RPG-style class system I've been seeing kinda hints at a loadout with more quirky variety, but that requires you to play more by their rules.  And I've never liked playing by the rules...

But I do like that they were ballsy enough to allow for permadeath of trained soldiers.  There's a lot of hand-holding these days, it's nice to see someone standing up for our right to make complete asses of ourselves.

I think it was either episode 51 or 61 of his second playthrough.

I've got something to look forward to then.

Turns out that Socks is the only one on the entire team who didn't earn a promotion, despite his heroic actions. The world just isn't fair  :P

You DO remember the chaotic promotion-slinging from the original games, right?  It's always been eerily realistic...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3053 on: October 11, 2012, 01:57:39 pm »

Of course I do. In the original game, I once had a guy who didn't even go on a mission get promoted :P

Not gonna dispute Hellsing's promotion though. The guy's been on 12 missions and has 30 kills.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3054 on: October 11, 2012, 02:22:00 pm »

I would say I am a pretty big X-Com nerd. I have beaten the original several times, including a superhuman-Iron Man run (with fixed difficulty). I even did an LP of Apocalypse.

XCOM scratches the itch. Classic Iron Man brings me back to the days of screaming at the screen and cursing. I do not mind the class system at all, I think it works a lot better than adding "HVY" to the end of the soldier's name you want to carry a rocket launcher and then equipping him every mission.

Squad size is one of the biggest shockers. Only having between 4 and 6 men seems oppressive, but I like it a lot more than trying to move 8 men every turn.

I still can't get a clean start. I think I am on my 9th or 10th attempt.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3055 on: October 11, 2012, 02:23:38 pm »

So far I have a few problems with the game:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Thats just me though.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 02:26:52 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3056 on: October 11, 2012, 02:27:04 pm »

Well for me, I've played every night this week since I got it on Tuesday, and I'm eager to get home tonight for a nice uninterrupted sessions since my fiance is out with friends tonight.

It's difficult (On Classic Ironman at least) and unforgiving of mistakes.

It's also got some wonky interface issues, some release bugs, and feels a bit more 'gamey' than the original. But for all that, it' a great game and I'm very happy I pre-ordered it.

I would have preferred a deeper equipment system and a skill based rather than class based system. But it's fun anyway.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3057 on: October 11, 2012, 02:28:05 pm »

I do have to say, parties of 4-6, the choice of a standard action and a move action or two move actions in a turn, readied attacks, characters you get attached to who can permanently die... it does sound like they took a lot of mechanical and tonal influences from a certain other game you may have played.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3058 on: October 11, 2012, 02:30:26 pm »

Protip:  Always play Ironman.  If you're here on the DF forums you're probably not the savescumming type anyway, and without Ironman the game does not autosave.  A CTD last night cost me my game that was steadily falling apart but I was still way into.

We'll never know the fate of Landon Patterson.

Fake edit:  First problem yes.  Second problem, eh, it's no big deal.  I definitely don't agree with the last part.  There's no effective difference between action points and this.  You're still moving and shooting.  The only thing that bugs me is when I'm playing Chryssalids in multiplayer, if I don't know where a nearby enemy is, I can't run over, then adjust my position and attack.  I have to guess his location if I want to attack in the same turn.

And yeah.  Cannon fodder rookies were fun, but they weren't very realistic.  I care about my guys.  I can see their faces, see them walking around in the base.  They're people.  In the old game, I'd have two or three guys I cared about.  In this one, every death is a loss.  That's why I'm so pissed about that crash.  I want to know what happens to Landon Patterson, but now I can't because I forgot to enable Ironman.
Shoes...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3059 on: October 11, 2012, 02:31:58 pm »

Which game would that be, Sensei?

Also, the Squad (I really need a name for these guys) is about to go out on my first VIP mission since my first unsuccessful one. Wish them luck!

Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 625