Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961122 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #2820 on: October 10, 2012, 07:26:10 am »

I believe it does. I always pick the +2 to handgun upgrade for snipers just for that reason.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2821 on: October 10, 2012, 07:36:10 am »

I believe it does. I always pick the +2 to handgun upgrade for snipers just for that reason.
Yeah, I've noticed my snipers spend a lot of time with their sidearms out.

And I really wish I could give heavies a sidearm. They run out of ammo very quickly, and reloading is sometimes not the best option.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #2822 on: October 10, 2012, 08:16:18 am »

I am totally absolutely loving, and hating, reading those stories.....

So it seems like there's a huge difficulty spike... how long after the game starts does it happen to you?

I've got a thought, which doesn't necessarily imply that XCOM is a bad game. It seems to me like aliens appearing willy nilly behind you and having just one (or two) chances to shoot each turn makes each RNG roll a lot more important. Won't this eventually turn into a glorified version of FTL, where RNG rules but it's still fun?

I mean, that's totally OK for an hour-long game. For a campaign that takes days to complete and with the involvement I see people having...

Still, the odds make it so the attachment people get to the soldiers is amazing :D

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #2823 on: October 10, 2012, 08:31:43 am »

Well, I didn't personally lose a soldier until the first terror mission. Then the fucking Chryssalids happened.
No really, I ran my support guy around a corner into cover and went head first into a Chryssalid. One hit kill by it.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2824 on: October 10, 2012, 08:36:40 am »

I am totally absolutely loving, and hating, reading those stories.....

So it seems like there's a huge difficulty spike... how long after the game starts does it happen to you?

I've got a thought, which doesn't necessarily imply that XCOM is a bad game. It seems to me like aliens appearing willy nilly behind you and having just one (or two) chances to shoot each turn makes each RNG roll a lot more important. Won't this eventually turn into a glorified version of FTL, where RNG rules but it's still fun?

I mean, that's totally OK for an hour-long game. For a campaign that takes days to complete and with the involvement I see people having...

Still, the odds make it so the attachment people get to the soldiers is amazing :D
The difficulty spike occured (for me) 2 hours in when my first terror mission popped. The 'pace' of the war changes a bit as the aliens change tactics. To address your concern, this game is nowhere near as random as FTL. While there is a certain 'roguelike' element to XCOM, and there always has been, you can mitigate many of those risks by playing smart. Always move from cover to cover, never rush, be cautious and deliberate while exploring. Things like that.

I've only lost a few people to things totally beyond my control. One was an alien missing me and shooting a UFO power core which detonated and wiped out two of my guys. Even that was partially my fault. Don't walk around in the engine room of the UFO with hostiles around!

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2825 on: October 10, 2012, 09:05:57 am »

I've only lost a few people to things totally beyond my control. One was an alien missing me and shooting a UFO power core which detonated and wiped out two of my guys. Even that was partially my fault. Don't walk around in the engine room of the UFO with hostiles around!

Gods, yes! I'm so pleased that this still happens. Blowing up and getting blown up by volatile stuff in X-COM is one of the best parts of that game (yes, I'm looking at you sectoid packed alien base command room!).
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #2826 on: October 10, 2012, 09:08:11 am »

I wonder if getting mentally attacked (Which used to always target the weakest unit, and revealed your squad's location to all enemies) still gives them the ability to aim magic blaster bombs into the skyranger. Are there even still blaster bombs?

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2827 on: October 10, 2012, 09:18:41 am »

Panic, both in combat and at the Geoscape, seem slightly broken.

Your first death is like 80% guaranteed to panic someone, regardless of your will stat. I have this Captain (Colin "Voodoo" McKenzie") who literally has not taken a round of fire since the game started. And I've routinely watched him be the one to panic and start opening fire on people. Rookies? I expect that. I even expect it of Squaddies. But panicking immediately on the first death? Maybe the kinds of aliens you're facing serve as a modifier to their panic roll.....because I can't think of any other justifiable reason for it.

Secondly, panic on the Geoscape. I had Canada sitting at 1 bar of panic, the starting level. I get an abduction mission. Canada is targeted and the Panic increase is 1 bar. Obviously, there are more important sites so I choose another country. I finish the mission and am informed Canada is panicking. WTF, Canada? And WTF panic system? If a country can go from copacetic to panicking from one MINOR abduction mission, then there's little point to trying to save any of them!
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2828 on: October 10, 2012, 09:32:09 am »

Gods, yes! I'm so pleased that this still happens. Blowing up and getting blown up by volatile stuff in X-COM is one of the best parts of that game (yes, I'm looking at you sectoid packed alien base command room!).
Not only that! You get /yelled at/ if a stray shot takes out a flight computer or something. The science lady was quite upset when my heavy machine-gunned the flight computer of our first UFO.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2829 on: October 10, 2012, 09:32:58 am »

It's Canada, what did you expect?

So how does the multiplayer work?  I noticed units cost points but it doesn't seem to be something where you have a limit to how much you can spend.  Is it like Warhammer where squads are matched up with similar point-cost squads?
Shoes...

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2830 on: October 10, 2012, 09:36:29 am »

From what I've seen, you set up the point cap in the game setup.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

fred1248

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2831 on: October 10, 2012, 09:57:01 am »

Speaking of which, Captain "pops" and 3 other recruits died capturing a live muton. Damn you science lady and your absurd requests!
How do you deliberately crutch a dwarf who seems to have no urge to go to the hospital and be diagnosed with "walklessness?"
Break his other leg.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2832 on: October 10, 2012, 10:10:24 am »

I'm playing on normal difficulty so YMMV.  However smoke is a real life saver.  Smoke your guys in cover and let the sniper or flankers do the killing.  Someone critically wounded?  Smoke him so the medic has a chance to actually save him.  Need to stun someone?  Smoke the alien so the guy can move in and stun him.

I don't have SHIV's yet, but I'll soon have all laser weapons up.  I think my main load out will be 1 heavy, 1 sniper, 2x assault 2xsupport/support+rookie.

You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2833 on: October 10, 2012, 10:11:59 am »

Unfortunately, upgraded versions of smoke make it less than ideal to smoke enemies. You don't exactly want to pump up already bad-ass aliens full of combat drugs, do you?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2834 on: October 10, 2012, 10:14:27 am »

Unfortunately, upgraded versions of smoke make it less than ideal to smoke enemies. You don't exactly want to pump up already bad-ass aliens full of combat drugs, do you?
Are you certain it works for aliens?
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 625