Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961516 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #2490 on: October 06, 2012, 02:09:14 am »

Gimme a plasma pistol, and I can get you both those things :D

Whoever said something about being able to pre-load is either a dirty rotten liar, or wasn't referring to the Steam version :(
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
WELL IT WASN'T THERE EARLIER  >:(
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: October 06, 2012, 02:21:52 am »

Gimme a plasma pistol, and I can get you both those things :D

Whoever said something about being able to pre-load is either a dirty rotten liar, or wasn't referring to the Steam version :(
WELL IT WASN'T THERE EARLIER  >:(

According to Bay12time it was there during both times.

beefy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: October 06, 2012, 02:50:33 am »

As someone who never got to play the original - what is this game like?
I played the Demo but wondered... does it consist only of a campaign mode?  ???

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: October 06, 2012, 02:55:10 am »

The best way I can describe it to someone who played the original Xcom... it would be "Imagine Xcom... Now give it 3d graphics and stream line it for a general audiance"

Also no it doesn't consist of only a campaign mode but it is pretty much the largest bulk of the game.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: October 06, 2012, 02:56:16 am »

Basically:

You are the all-seeing commander of X-COM (Extraterrestrial Command). Your mission is to defend the Earth from aliens. To do this, you construct a secret base, recruit soldiers from all over the world, give them the best weapons and technology you can, capture and kill aliens and their technology to learn more about them, and eventually save the world. It also has perma-death and (in the original, at least) was entirely possible to lose at any point.

The new game coming out soon has a Campaign or sorts, but the missions are randomly given each time. Not like the highly scripted missions in the demo. There is also a multiplayer mode.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: October 06, 2012, 03:09:20 am »

It's hard for us to answer that, not having had a chance to play it ourselves.

The original X-COM, though... it was basically a very brutal tactical RPG. You equip your guys, take turns moving them around the map, firing at enemies, throwing grenades, checking buildings, and then they get one-shot by hot plasma from the dark.

Well, shit.

As the game progressed, you researched better weapons and armor, and soldiers who survived gained stats, becoming more competent.

So, that was basically that. This one seems to be less brutal by default, and puts a bigger emphasis on special abilities. The fundamentals of "it's a gun-based tactical RPG" appear to remain, though.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

beefy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: October 06, 2012, 03:14:57 am »

Thanks guys!
The demo did seem quite linear... maybe I will go with the original XCOM... :)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: October 06, 2012, 03:16:03 am »

Well I definately suggest playing the original Xcom

This doesn't seem like it stands up to the original at its own game. It is pretty much like comparing Field Hockey to Ice Hockey.

This Xcom looks like it will do fine. My guess from what I seen, unless the game surprises me which I am prepared for, is that it will stop short of great. Which is really what I want in a game, for it to be a great game.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #2498 on: October 06, 2012, 03:38:41 am »

Ehrmahgerd, prelerding!

I find that getting into really old games these days can be rather hard, even if you do play other really old games, or DF, or roguelikes. It might just be me running out patience at life though.

What other people have said is usually spot on, but they haven't put focus on the strategic side of it. It's not just a series of detached missions, and there's more than just some guys surviving until the next mission and others not. The strategic side did have you thinking a bunch, and gave you a constant sense of progression. You have some fairly meaningful decisions you need to make, such as what to research first: more advanced weapons or medkits? Some base defenses (since you're bound to have your base attacked soon) or start researching that new craft that will take more rookies to the slaughter? It takes a long time to research everything and build the craft... should you build a new base? Where? For what purpose? Should you get more engineers or more scientists?

Put simply, the game is constantly throwing meaningful decisions at you, although not in an explicit manner. This is true of both the tactical and strategic part. The new one, I think, makes it easier for you to see and make those decisions by making them explicit. That simplifies the whole process, so perhaps there won't be quite as much choice, but like people have mentioned, the original game could get bogged down with technicalities that weren't really interesting. I'm hoping it's not "linear" literally despite the simplifications. I don't think it will be, since all the devs still seem to be playing. Linearity really doesn't lend itself to that!

Also, the first X-com is piss-cheap, so there's barely any cost to trying it :)

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: October 06, 2012, 09:46:11 am »

Currently pre-loading now. Was trying to toss up between this and Dishonored and figured that, since X-Com comes with Civ V, I'd err on the side of nostalgia.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: October 06, 2012, 10:18:54 am »

Just heard an unsubstantiated rumor......I am not stating confidence in it, merely repeating it........game will unlock 2 hours ahead of schedule(supposedly).

I repeat, rumor is unsubstantiated as I only heard it from one source, who is a contractor for 2K. I have no way to know if he is in "the know" or if he's just spouting b.s.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: October 06, 2012, 10:19:57 am »

Just heard an unsubstantiated rumor......I am not stating confidence in it, merely repeating it........game will unlock 2 hours ahead of schedule(supposedly).

I repeat, rumor is unsubstantiated as I only heard it from one source, who is a contractor for 2K. I have no way to know if he is in "the know" or if he's just spouting b.s.

It does happen from time to time for some games, so hopefully.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: October 06, 2012, 11:22:09 am »

It does happen from time to time for some games, so hopefully.
Timezone conflicts?
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2503 on: October 06, 2012, 11:22:43 am »

yay preloading

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: October 06, 2012, 11:36:13 am »

I was looking at he acheivement and one stuck my mind real hard and i wonder how its possible ( Well i havent played it but im trying to imagine it.. )

Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 625