Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961274 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #2175 on: September 27, 2012, 10:45:14 am »

In the original game I could just make two teams of xcom troops and respond to both missions. It really is an unreasonable and unrealistic forced choice.

In the original game, the aliens were stupid and never tried to launch multi-prong attacks at all. Most players wouldn't have had two skyrangers, and wouldn't have been able to respond to both, at least until later in the game. So if the original aliens were more powerful/less dumb, it's probably still a choice you would have had to make.

Apocolypse, of course, got around that by making vehicles freely available, so multiple attacks where all the time. :P
I distinctly remember several terror missions and UFO intercepts going on concurrently when I played on harder difficulties.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: September 27, 2012, 10:48:53 am »

Hm... I guess that's a good point. I don't know.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: September 27, 2012, 11:45:42 am »

Yeah...I think that's a reasonable choice early on when you don't have many resources. But later? You should be able to have several skyrangers and teams if that's how you want to use your resources. It's kind of ridiculous otherwise.

I know I had at least two bases with skyrangers/avengers and full teams able to respond to multiple threats at once in the original. And they all got used quite often.

We'll have to see how it plays out in the main game, of course, but I imagine that this is going to be something that always bugs me.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: September 27, 2012, 01:13:42 pm »

I think the Devs wanted to portray how thin X-com is spread trying to contain everything. Granted it's a heavy-handed way of simulating it. Asystem with a little more finesse then limiting you to one Skyhawk would have been nice.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: September 27, 2012, 01:43:17 pm »

5) Only american voices for the troopers is a bit jarring.

This is the biggest annoyance for me.

There were four or five voice choices in the demo, and all of them were American and most of them sounded like they were the same file.

In a preview build dished out to a few sites, there are 7 voice choices - again, all of which are American and many of which sound the same according to the reviewers.

For all the emphasis on becoming attached to your soldiers, and going to the trouble of including different nationalities, it seems like a huge oversight on their part to not include any available accent except for American. SEVEN AMERICAN VOICES.

Ridiculous. And lazy.
In defense of the voice casting, chances are that Firaxis, based in Maryland, hired local talent. I don't think it's unreasonable for them to have only american voices as a result. Other than that, this is where the 20 gig requirement to install comes in handy, chances are, none of the voices are going to be compressed in a file, hidden somewhere. Dedicated fans could replaces the voices in that case.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: September 27, 2012, 01:47:57 pm »

They had ethnic voices for the Civ 4 and 5.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: September 27, 2012, 01:50:46 pm »

They probably had a bigger budget, too.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: September 27, 2012, 01:52:10 pm »

Except they could afford to spend money on a game they know will sell. To the best of my knowledge, the last remake of an old turn based strategy rpg was Jagged Alliance back in action. Not encouraging sales figures there. Plus with how well the reaction was to the XCOM FPS, you are going to have a very, very hard time getting investors to give you their money, especially when a big chunk of them might not even be gamers.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #2183 on: September 27, 2012, 02:11:55 pm »

I feel like / am hoping that they have additional voice work, they just didn't include it in the demo. Perhaps it isn't completely done or perhaps they cut the non-Anerican voices our to shrink the demo's size down a bit.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: September 27, 2012, 02:12:59 pm »

I feel like / am hoping that they have additional voice work, they just didn't include it in the demo. Perhaps it isn't completely done or perhaps they cut the non-Anerican voices our to shrink the demo's size down a bit.

Yeah it could just be the limitations of the demo.

Mind you... don't some people actually have their hands on the game game?

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: September 27, 2012, 02:22:47 pm »

Yeah it could just be the limitations of the demo.

Mind you... don't some people actually have their hands on the game game?

As far as I know, even the press version is not the full retail one.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #2186 on: September 27, 2012, 02:35:03 pm »

Hands on reviews to the press version have been somewhat positive.

I'm a little skeptical of the people decrying "RUINED FOREVER!!!111!!!" at the changes made.

They don't seem that "consoleified" and seem more like just trying removing the levels of micromanagement involved in the original that could get somewhat tedious. And to declunkify the interface (it's a clunky interface. It's a game from before 2000. They all have clunky interfaces).

Most games with micromanagement work at the end game either because the players are insanely patient, or because you gain so much velocity that the inefficiencies of not managing every little detail don't slow you down too much. Either one isn't that desirable from a design perspective.

As for the "Time Units", honestly? Whilst I like an Action Points system I don't see how simply removing it with a two-point system is so horrendous. Both require tactical thinking and committing to your decisions.

It's like people are just looking for things to complain about and yelling "I DON'T LIKE THIS! IT'S DIFFERENT!" But is it fun? "IRRELEVANT!". Yes you can be skeptical and wary that a game will be good, it's the smart way to be. Expecting perfection always leads to disappointment or delusion, after all. But holding the original up as utterly flawless, utterly perfect, is just as stupid.

Nothing can't be improved, because you can't take anything away and adding anything to it stops it being nothing.

Of course no built-into-UI key-rebinding is stupid. If it's not in the actual game and there isn't one of those "boot up configure" utilities that do it, that's very stupid. Whilst I'm willing to dive through config files, a lot of people aren't. Not letting you configure would be a stupid oversight.

Plus with how well the reaction was to the XCOM FPS, you are going to have a very, very hard time getting investors to give you their money, especially when a big chunk of them might not even be gamers.

Development of the two games started at about the same time. If anything the massive negative reaction to the FPS should of pushed investors to be more careful and want to preserve what those fans wanted...

And if it sucks, we still have Xenonauts coming out (I think the Beta release is also October the 9th?) :D
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 03:24:27 pm by MorleyDev »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: September 27, 2012, 03:03:05 pm »

Has there been any response from the devs to feedback on the demo?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: September 27, 2012, 03:04:31 pm »

With only a couple weeks to release, even if they did respond there'd be little they could do to change anything.

Besides, RPG basically came out in defense of the demo for them. :P
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: September 27, 2012, 03:08:46 pm »

I'm a little skeptical of the people decrying "RUINED FOREVER!!!111!!!" at the changes made. Yes no built-into-UI key-rebinding is stupid.

At no point did the two people complaining about the key rebinding over-react with a "RUINED FOREVER!!!" post.  I even went as far to add the "Ah, first world problems" with a smiley face to indicate just how important I thought my own semi-rant was.  I personally think that hard-coded keybindings are a classic PC game no-no and one of the easily corrected things that give "console ports" a bad name, but as pointed out, its just a camera control.  I'll live.

Otherwise, I totally agree with you - if the game is fun, I don't give a rats ass what changes they made from the original, because I can always go replay the original.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 625