Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961267 times)

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #2160 on: September 26, 2012, 08:20:32 pm »

I was just picking random, non-represented country names. For some reason, I really, really like the word Lithuania, and use it whenever I get the chance. No offence was meant by my post.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: September 26, 2012, 08:24:23 pm »

I'm not that bothered by the UI. Sure, the "double confirming orders" is a bit bothersome, but that's about it. I do have to echo Hemmingjay's statement. The official forums were FILLED with complaints, whining and OMG NOT GONNA PLAY JAKE SOLOMON LIED BAAAAAAAAH. It's died down a bit now, but still ... I can understand people having issues, but the tone was just way out of line. And the sense of entitlement is over 9000 and that is not a new phenomenon, sadly.

Oh good lord yes, the official forums are mayhem! We're even seeing a resurgence of the "No Poland/lituania/iceland/etc" from CivV. That forum has a large, vocal, and annoyed Polish group, that's for sure...
Don't lump Lithuania in with the Polish, That's almost as bad as mixing them with Russians.
hey now we are still best buds and hate russia together
I don't think so draugas
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: September 26, 2012, 08:26:02 pm »

I'm not that bothered by the UI. Sure, the "double confirming orders" is a bit bothersome, but that's about it. I do have to echo Hemmingjay's statement. The official forums were FILLED with complaints, whining and OMG NOT GONNA PLAY JAKE SOLOMON LIED BAAAAAAAAH. It's died down a bit now, but still ... I can understand people having issues, but the tone was just way out of line. And the sense of entitlement is over 9000 and that is not a new phenomenon, sadly.

Oh good lord yes, the official forums are mayhem! We're even seeing a resurgence of the "No Poland/lituania/iceland/etc" from CivV. That forum has a large, vocal, and annoyed Polish group, that's for sure...
Don't lump Lithuania in with the Polish, That's almost as bad as mixing them with Russians.
I don't think so draugas

We have aliens invading and you decide to dredge up stuff from almost a century ago to fight about?! Earth is doooooomed!

:p
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: September 26, 2012, 08:56:01 pm »

Anyhow Floaters are easier to balance if they arn't capable of landing on anything that cannot be moved to or is in line of sight. (or if simply speaking... the very tops of buildings are not allowed)

Floaters don't actually need to land ever.  And the roofs of buildings are intentionally accessible to certain land units such as grappling snipers and thin men who can use them as a nice firing positions or sneaky way to scout or flank the enemy.

It's a legit strategy, provided you actually use it to engage the enemy.  Even if they made it so inaccessible locations weren't possible, someone could just hide their last sectoid in some cranny and go AFK.  The simplest solution to those tricks would be to not track stats.  That way you can just leave if it's obvious your opponent has given up.  Course, that would have the opposite problem of not discouraging quitters...
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: September 26, 2012, 09:07:45 pm »

I believe for multiplayer there is a turn/time limit option, and the game decides a victor at the end if one side doesn't finish first. So that'll help with that sort of problem, since hiding in a corner only delays your loss. Not that griefers won't use that trick anyway to waste people's time.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

mikefictiti0us

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Radio Rivendell
« Reply #2165 on: September 26, 2012, 10:30:22 pm »

(removed)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 06:43:48 pm by mikefictiti0us »

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: September 27, 2012, 04:05:24 am »

I don't think so draugas

That was such a long time ago. We have our issues but I personally like polish people and I'm even learning polish right now.

P.S. Sorry for the off-topic pyramid.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: September 27, 2012, 06:13:43 am »

Well, if you don't mind a few spoilers, check this out:
http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?140951-Additional-settings-which-make-game-coolest!

It's a list of additional settings, kind of like Civs advanced options. Actually here, I'll copy and paste below as well. SPOILERS.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Super list!

I'll be activating Marathon, Greater Good, Not Created Equally and Hidden Potential for my first play-through.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2168 on: September 27, 2012, 06:19:10 am »

I'll be using:

The Greater Good
Marathon
Alternate Sources
Results Driven
New Economy
Not Created Equally
Hidden Potential
More Than Human
High Stakes
Red Fog

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: September 27, 2012, 07:03:09 am »

"Critical thinking" is an awfully pretentious way to describe complaining about a lack of keybinding.

He was also talking more about the official forums, I think.

Exactly. This forum has been very civil about the problems. If you have issues with the demo / game, by all means, let it be known! But there is a difference between "I got a problem with this" and "OMG YOU GUYS SUCK AND LIED AND NOW I WILL SCREAM IN ALL CAPS BECAUSE OF LIMITED DEMO". The official forums have exploded with responses of the latter kind, which annoyed me to no end. Then again, the official forums suffer a bit from the rampant fanboyism, causing critical (yet not badly worded) posts to be buried underneath "lol, wat u know, noob?" posts.

I'm getting the game no matter what. I saved up months for this game and I have seen enough footage to convince me that it will not have been in vain.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: September 27, 2012, 10:04:06 am »

Finally got some time to play the demo. Mostly enjoyed it. Some annoyances.

1) Game looks great when everything is pumped up to max.
2) I quite like turn based system compared to TU's.
3) I got used to the UI, but it was quite frankly terrible.
4) I still hate the class system, but I knew that going in.
5) Only american voices for the troopers is a bit jarring.
6) I hope the whole you-got-to-choose-you-can't-do-both is only used in the tutorial thingy, I do not like those forced choices that make no sense.

In conclusion, although it seems to have flaws, some major, others minor, it still is looking to become an enjoyable experience.

I very much liked the list of optional difficulty settings that was posted and will be using many of those to up the difficulty to a more (un)comfortable level :D

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: September 27, 2012, 10:22:11 am »

I'm pretty sure the forced choices will be a regular thing, from what they've said. But it's not really unreasonable - you can only respond on so many fronts, and hope the locals can handle the other situation. Just like in a real war, where the enemy can force you to make choices you don't want to, right?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 10:40:13 am by GlyphGryph »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2172 on: September 27, 2012, 10:33:20 am »

I'm pretty sure the forces choices will be a regular thing, from what they've said. But it's not really unreasonable - you can only respond on so many fronts, and hope the locals can handle the other situation. Just like in a real war, where the enemy can force you to make choices you don't want to, right?
In the original game I could just make two teams of xcom troops and respond to both missions. It really is an unreasonable and unrealistic forced choice.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: September 27, 2012, 10:37:31 am »

5) Only american voices for the troopers is a bit jarring.

This is the biggest annoyance for me.

There were four or five voice choices in the demo, and all of them were American and most of them sounded like they were the same file.

In a preview build dished out to a few sites, there are 7 voice choices - again, all of which are American and many of which sound the same according to the reviewers.

For all the emphasis on becoming attached to your soldiers, and going to the trouble of including different nationalities, it seems like a huge oversight on their part to not include any available accent except for American. SEVEN AMERICAN VOICES.

Ridiculous. And lazy.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: September 27, 2012, 10:42:39 am »

In the original game I could just make two teams of xcom troops and respond to both missions. It really is an unreasonable and unrealistic forced choice.

In the original game, the aliens were stupid and never tried to launch multi-prong attacks at all. Most players wouldn't have had two skyrangers, and wouldn't have been able to respond to both, at least until later in the game. So if the original aliens were more powerful/less dumb, it's probably still a choice you would have had to make.

Apocolypse, of course, got around that by making vehicles freely available, so multiple attacks where all the time. :P
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 625