Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961284 times)

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #2115 on: September 26, 2012, 11:23:55 am »

Quote from: hemmingjay
To be more specific, I am annoyed that people are ungrateful for the demo. It's totally fine if you don't like the demo or the game, but it's ridiculous the amount of complaint about the demo.

I'm not annoyed about the demo. I'm not complaining about the demo. I'm very disappointed that yet another AAA title which I was looking forward to play turns out to be a cheap console port. Firaxis lied to me. They said they would pay special attention to the PC Ui. Even the best game is no fun if the UI sucks. I've decided to not buy the game because that's only thing I can do to oppose this bad practice.

I'm annoyed at part of the demo, and I think they could have put out a better showcase of the game.  That entire first mission, for example, is annoying and would turn me off from buying the game, if the demo is my only look at it.  It should have just been an intro movie, and not playable at all.  If you haven't played it, the first mission goes like this:  control guy at base talks, you get told to make an action, you do the action, soldier you acted with talks, repeat.  It's like watching a movie with scripted pauses.  The second mission however, does away with the talking back & forth, and lets you do things.  It just leaves a bad first impression, imo.

As to the console port bit... I don't think (from my limited gameplay & watching videos) that it will be an issue.  We're not talking about some FPS game with lots of convoluted abilities, like Dark Souls - this is a turn based game, where you have very little input in the first place.  Scroll the map, select a soldier, select a spot for them to move to, select an ability to use, etc.  My only complaint on this issue is that map scrolling is set to WASD, QE to rotate, and mouse-wheel to go up & down levels; it looks like if nothing else, we can edit an ini to fix that.
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

fred1248

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: September 26, 2012, 11:25:25 am »

Don't you think you guys are being a little over-dramatic? Sure, certain aspects of the game might be bad, hell, even dwarf fortress has its own flaws, but what's important is that the genre is not dead. We surely wouldn't be getting an influx of tactical turn based strategy games, but at least it's still alive. Besides, isn't poor ui what most of the games suffer these days?
How do you deliberately crutch a dwarf who seems to have no urge to go to the hospital and be diagnosed with "walklessness?"
Break his other leg.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #2117 on: September 26, 2012, 11:28:59 am »

What fred said. I was just about to post something along the lines of a storm in a glass of water, or whatever the English equivalent is.

I've played little, but I find I can appreciate these new controls. It's very rare for me to use keys in RTS or TBS games. In FPSs you make use of your mouse hand and of your keyboard hand. With this stance, you're going to be able to be faster in this game. I mean, it's easier to press the shoot, or overwatch key twice than it is to select the gun, right click, choose auto shot, then click on the baddie.

Like someone else said, that gets tedious in the original X-com, and people would end up doing sub-optimal choices just because they couldn't be arsed with all the clicks you'd need to do for a better move.

Also, streamlined UI does not automatically mean OMG!!!11one CONSOAL POART

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: September 26, 2012, 11:30:43 am »

Besides, isn't poor ui what most of the games suffer these days?

Is that a reason for accepting shoddy work?   :P  (Not that I have any real issue with the UI from what I've seen, other than the option to configure keybinds.)
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: September 26, 2012, 11:32:04 am »

Hopping in on the "has no problem with the UI" side. Rebindable keys would be nice, but I'm not personally bothered by the controls. Perhaps the full version will have rebindable keys, along with the difficulty slider.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

fred1248

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: September 26, 2012, 11:35:36 am »

Besides, isn't poor ui what most of the games suffer these days?

Is that a reason for accepting shoddy work?   :P  (Not that I have any real issue with the UI from what I've seen, other than the option to configure keybinds.)
...No one is forcing anybody to 'accept' their works. You can either choose to buy their games or else.
I wasn't exactly -asking- anyone to have faith in the game and buy it.

What I meant by the previous statement was that we've seen much worse than this, and we have no reason whatsoever to go all Hamlet and act like 14 year old girls over this..
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 11:37:35 am by fred1248 »
How do you deliberately crutch a dwarf who seems to have no urge to go to the hospital and be diagnosed with "walklessness?"
Break his other leg.

Owlga

• Bay Watcher
  • Turbo times two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: September 26, 2012, 11:38:06 am »

So people are complaining about the Demo UI when the old UI was already pretty terrible? I love X-Com as much as anyone I think, since it was one of my first games but come on guys. Anything is better than that mouse only button driven mess.
Quote from: Cupaketan
if u cant taek a cake, dont do a bake, in a kitchen
so u hav2 leve it ok bc its 2 hot 4u
Owlga is the chillest anime girl ever.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: September 26, 2012, 11:39:22 am »

What fred said. I was just about to post something along the lines of a storm in a glass of water, or whatever the English equivalent is.

Easy to remember, since it involves tea - 'Tempest in a teapot'. 

Screen icons that look clickable but are not, the absence of keyboard rebinding, and other mentioned issues certainly don't bring to mind 'streamlined UI'.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: September 26, 2012, 11:42:40 am »

So people are complaining about the Demo UI when the old UI was already pretty terrible? I love X-Com as much as anyone I think, since it was one of my first games but come on guys. Anything is better than that mouse only button driven mess.
Rose-tinted glasses. The old stuff is perfect in every way, anything that isn't an exact duplicate of the old stuff is terrible.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Blah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: September 26, 2012, 11:44:02 am »

Yea, I think some people are using the word 'streamlined' without knowing what it means.

streamlined
adjective
having a contour designed to offer the least possible resistance to a current of air, water, etc.; optimally shaped for motion or conductivity.
designed or organized to give maximum efficiency; compact.
modernized; up-to-date.

The UI is anything but efficient, modern, up-to-date or optimized. For PC standards at least.

Edit: another issue not mentioned. The game gives you a skill bar for each soldier and assigns a number key to each skill. But the same skill will have different keys assigned to it depending on the soldier. So "Overwatch" will be 2 on one guy, 3 on another and 4 on the last guy. Instead of logically arranging skills, Firaxis just added another button for Overwatch (the Y key). The whole thing reeks of neglect.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 11:51:21 am by Blah »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: September 26, 2012, 11:52:41 am »

Hopping in on the "has no problem with the UI" side. Rebindable keys would be nice, but I'm not personally bothered by the controls. Perhaps the full version will have rebindable keys, along with the difficulty slider.
Right there with you, man.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: September 26, 2012, 12:06:15 pm »

Yay, so I'm not crazy! (because of this fact, at least).

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: September 26, 2012, 12:25:19 pm »

Yay, so I'm not crazy! (because of this fact, at least).

Same here.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: September 26, 2012, 01:36:22 pm »

I am not as annoyed by the UI as most of you are, I did think it was weird and clunky but so many PC only titles are... HOWEVER! It was when I tried switching floors that I noticed how odd it was.

It is something I can get used to anyhow.

The only other weird parts is where the game will OUTRIGHT tell you to do something that isn't possible... "Build a lab" "But I CAN'T!"
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 01:41:16 pm by Neonivek »

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: September 26, 2012, 02:45:55 pm »

I'm not that bothered by the UI. Sure, the "double confirming orders" is a bit bothersome, but that's about it. I do have to echo Hemmingjay's statement. The official forums were FILLED with complaints, whining and OMG NOT GONNA PLAY JAKE SOLOMON LIED BAAAAAAAAH. It's died down a bit now, but still ... I can understand people having issues, but the tone was just way out of line. And the sense of entitlement is over 9000 and that is not a new phenomenon, sadly.

Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 625