Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961332 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #2085 on: September 25, 2012, 10:58:30 pm »

That fifth OXM video is pretty nice, but nothing beats the loss of Kitkat Crunchy in episode 3 (at 9:06).
That reminds me, I swore to name one of my rookies KitKat in his honor when the full game comes out :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: September 25, 2012, 11:14:18 pm »

We advance along and carefully take on the building with the Slender Men. Or whatever they're called. Thin Men?

Close. The one in X-Com is called the Thin Man. It's actually based on a meme created by the internets, some sort of horror urban myth made in some forum:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: September 26, 2012, 12:18:25 am »

Dang it the demo lied to me, I can't bring any of those aliens home.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: September 26, 2012, 12:25:02 am »

Yeah, I'm wondering if that was an oversight. I checked every squad member's gear several times, trying to find a stun rod or arc thrower or whatever :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: September 26, 2012, 12:37:35 am »

Yeah, I'm wondering if that was an oversight. I checked every squad member's gear several times, trying to find a stun rod or arc thrower or whatever :P

It is probably because the demo is dirrectly ripped from the actual game. Where they would ask you to take them in if possible.

Mind you it was absolutely confusing what I ended up being able and unable to take. Why are these floater corpses apperantly nonexistant now?

Then again the first mission was just painful to watch because you knew EXACTLY what would happen. Given you were being told what to do by someone who should know better, and find out that they stink, was also painful. I mean, I knew what would end up happening but I didn't know that the path I took to get there was idiocy drive.

Yep they certainly were the best level 1 soldiers I ever seen.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: September 26, 2012, 12:50:31 am »

You can free-aim rockets and grenades if the streams are anything to go by. Gun haven't been shown to have building-penetrative abilities though.

Plasma weapons have, though. During the livestreams from Pax it became an important point that a plasma blast blew out a wall and removed a soldier's cover.
Any cover or object do soak damage and will break apart. The target can be hit for any damage left.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: September 26, 2012, 01:00:39 am »

When you view the Soldier Memorial bagpipe music plays. That's pretty awesome.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: September 26, 2012, 01:04:01 am »

How'd you do that? Demo wouldn't let me view the memorial <_<;

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: September 26, 2012, 01:09:44 am »

How'd you do that? Demo wouldn't let me view the memorial <_<;
magic in a young girls heart?
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: September 26, 2012, 02:44:24 am »

Have to admit to being disappointed by the demo, not enough to cancel my pre-order but enough that it bugs me.

Firstly the demo is too short to get a good grasp on the game, and doesn't really touch upon any of the base management or strategic screens. So I'm not sure it's a good representation of the game at all, however being slightly meta about it is the reason the demo is so short because there isn't much depth in the actual game? Demos are normally there to showcase a game after all.

Secondly the controls are fairly clunky on the pc, probably nothing I couldn't get used to, but I did feel it wasn't smooth to play. Although some of that at least was that Q and E don't appear to work until the part of the tutorial where they tell you to use them which meant I was struggling trying to rotate at the start.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: September 26, 2012, 02:45:32 am »

No I will admit the demo is REALLY lacking. It isn't even a space issue they fit in over half the game in the demo.

Whenever I think of the perfect demo... I always think of the Theme Hospital Demo.

It had just enough to tell me what the game was all about while not spoiling the entire game. It was the only demo I ever played where I went "I must have that game" (and I knew NOTHING about theme hospital prior to this)

But this demo? It actually kinda makes me want the game less and even makes the game look less sophisticated, even for a game as steamlined to death as it is.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 02:55:20 am by Neonivek »

mikefictiti0us

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Radio Rivendell
« Reply #2096 on: September 26, 2012, 03:36:46 am »

(removed)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 06:44:07 pm by mikefictiti0us »

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: September 26, 2012, 04:48:02 am »

Oh, and the demo makes it apparent to me that the PC UI was an afterthought to Firaxis, because the interface and snapping camera reek of console influence. That would be a minor issue to me if the core game itself reflects the spirit of the original game, but the demo gives no indication because of its scripted nature. Worse, it dulls the enthusiasm I initially felt for the game.
Exactly my tought, after the 2 mission i was meh.... really? And i HATE the current menu system, cool they got that box thing, but that ALL they got... everything else is press blablabla to do anything, cant i have icon i can click on please? its a PC UI or a *redesigned/ated/thing/frack?* console port UI just enough to be able to say its not the same console UI for press?
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Blah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: September 26, 2012, 07:39:10 am »

I was planning to buy this but changed my mind after seeing how bad the PC UI is. I don't understand why it is sooo hard for otherwise good companies to create a merely ordinary PC UI according to established standards.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 07:47:13 am by Blah »

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: September 26, 2012, 07:59:24 am »

I was planning to buy this but changed my mind after seeing how bad the PC UI is. I don't understand why it is sooo hard for otherwise good companies to create a merely ordinary PC UI according to established standards.

Do some people really find it that bad? I guess I'm just not bothered as most about poor UI. Hell, I played hours and hours of Skyrim, never once downloading a UI mod.
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 625