Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961364 times)

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #2070 on: September 25, 2012, 08:57:59 pm »

*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: September 25, 2012, 08:59:24 pm »

Oh, weird, was digging in the demo and read the readme, looks like one from the full game, and this tidbit on the tutorial was interestin:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So, key notes are that
a) you can only base out of NA or EU when playing with the tutorial. This, I find, is an odd choice. I'm really curious why they chose that.
and
2) there are 4 missions, and if you deselect the tutorial, they're randomly generated instead.

I'll probably play the tutorials, then restart without them I think.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: September 25, 2012, 09:12:11 pm »

Speaking of OXM, the fifth video in the series came out today. Features the death of several squaddies and a failed mission, which was possibly story-related. Must-watch for anyone who thinks the new game will be too easy or will hold your hand constantly :P

Fun fact: the first mission in the OXM video? It's the same mission as the tutorial, just from the opposite side.

Not sure if that's a good thing (maps look/feel very different when played from different angles) or a bad thing (out of roughly a dozen missions on streams, we're already seeing repeat maps).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: September 25, 2012, 09:17:54 pm »

Looks fun (though one alien type is a bit... overly homogenous).

Well don't got the cash so I don't get the game even if I want it.

Though I am starting to think I identified the wrong creature as the sectoids. Were the sectoids the wall crawlers?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: September 25, 2012, 09:18:46 pm »

So, I got the demo working, finally (thanks a lot, Steam.) Cranked it up to max difficulty thanks to you guys' info on the .ini file, and still lost nary a dude in my actual mission. Fuck yeah.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: September 25, 2012, 09:20:19 pm »

Oook nevermind

Apperantly I ENTIRELY identified the wrong alien in this new Xcom as the Sectoids.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: September 25, 2012, 09:21:38 pm »

Oook nevermind

Apperantly I ENTIRELY identified the wrong alien in this new Xcom as the Sectoids.

Wait, what did you think was the sectoid? The thin-man?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: September 25, 2012, 09:24:08 pm »

Oook nevermind

Wait, what did you think was the sectoid? The thin-man?

Possibly. These weird crawling aliens with claws that are also grey.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: September 25, 2012, 09:57:21 pm »

After Action Report for the Demo on Classic difficulty. It's...about as hard as the original X-Com. If your guys hit, you win! If they can't hit the broad side of a barn, you lose!

Here's the actual report, from two sessions, because my rookies can't shoot worth a damn the first time we go through.

Sniper - Nabil -Saudi Arabia
Heavy - Perez - Argentina
Assault - Pavlona - Russia
Support - King - Australia

Two girls this time, Pavlona and King, which shows that the troops are actually randomly generated each time. Well, except the guy from the tutorial one, anyway. Although I did notice that his stats and name were different this time around.

So, start the mission, moved Assault and Heavy as instructed. We flush out the aliens, and I wonder how well this is going to go now that I'm on classical.

Sniper took out the first sectoid with a head shot, which is a good start. I move my Support up to a spot with high cover in preparation for flanking them.

This was a bad idea, as she took a weak shot from the remaining sectoid. The Heavy and Assault moved up a bit and took pot shots at it, but both missed. The Assault made it flanked for the Support, who got her revenge. Nice!

I have King heal herself and we press on.

We move up cautiously, everyone on overwatch as much as possible.

We flush out the Floaters, with the Assault taking out the first one with a single shot. So far, things are going pretty well.

It gets worse from there. The second floats up above the canisters, and all three of my other troops miss their overwatch shots. The floater takes out Pavlona (Assault) with a single blast from above.

I've hit the Invincible Floater from Hell. Bastard dodges every shot we fire at him, with every shot having a 55% or better chance. Even throwing up a smoke screen doesn't save my Heavy and Support from getting gunned down. The Heavy running out of ammo didn't help any. That and the floater can always go where my cover won't help. Bastard.

My sniper, all alone now and out of ammo for his rifle, manages to take him out with a combination of grenade and pistol, but he's hit in the process and down to a single hit point.

Victory...doesn't seem too likely at this point. But I press on anyway.

My sniper comes up the side of the building and finds the Slender Men. He hurts one, but it turns around and ices him.

So...yeah, that was way harder than it was on Easy.

I restart the mission.

Ok, same basic start. Move the guys where they say, have the sniper take out the first sectoid. That works well again. I'm pleased that my sniper continues to be able to hit things. Good Sniper!

I decide to keep my support lady back this time, since I don't want her getting smacked again. The Heavy gets hit instead, after the sectoid retreats a bit. That's different, he didn't bother moving last time. I have my heavy high-tail it back to the support to get healed up.

My Assault throws a grenade and blasts the Sectoid to bits despite his cover. Not necessary, but safe and effective. Also, exploding boxes is fun!

My sniper takes up position on the roof, and I go to flush out the Floaters. Hopefully without getting everyone killed off this time.

For kicks I have my Heavy blow up some shipping containers with his rocket. I figured it might give us some better lines of sight. It did, and it was a very satisfying explosion. Also, seeing the flames spread and blow up small bits of stuff was neat.

My Assualt moved up and saw the Floaters from a distance. She only had a 30% chance to hit, so I had her go on Overwatch and the Support threw the Smoke grenade towards her to give her cover. My sniper sat on the roof and readied his rifle.

Turns out my Assault hadn't been spotted, so it wasn't until my Heavy moved up and saw them (through the exploded containers) that they activated. He shot one and injured it, which my Assault finished off. The support and Sniper stayed on overwatch, and the sniper managed to take it the last one when it moved in one shot this time.

Whew, no uber Floaters this time! And I hit them with much worse odds. Go figure.

We advance along and carefully take on the building with the Slender Men. Or whatever they're called. Thin Men?

My support goes around the right, my Assault inside, and my Heavy and Sniper along the Left.

The Support sees them first, and manages to wound one of them. The heavy takes that one out and my Sniper head shots the last.

Cakewalk, this time.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: September 25, 2012, 10:08:40 pm »

That sounds a lot like X-COM.  Missing every single shot with a better-than-average chance to hit :P
Something I realized as I played through the original today - I spent a lot of time shooting walls and other such cover, but it doesn't look like it's possible to shoot at anything other than aliens now.  Is this so?  Also, will missed shots still hit random stuff behind your target?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: September 25, 2012, 10:10:30 pm »

Sadly, with the exception of free-aim weapons like grenades and rocket launchers, that appears to be the case. No more commissar on the team to execute panicking soldiers :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: September 25, 2012, 10:11:31 pm »

You can free-aim rockets and grenades if the streams are anything to go by. Gun haven't been shown to have building-penetrative abilities though.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: September 25, 2012, 10:30:06 pm »

You can free-aim rockets and grenades if the streams are anything to go by. Gun haven't been shown to have building-penetrative abilities though.

Plasma weapons have, though. During the livestreams from Pax it became an important point that a plasma blast blew out a wall and removed a soldier's cover.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: September 25, 2012, 10:57:10 pm »

That fifth OXM video is pretty nice, but nothing beats the loss of Kitkat Crunchy in episode 3 (at 9:06).
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 625